PDA

View Full Version : Recovery techniques/ supplements used?

NickAus
08-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi

Just wanted some advice on improving my recovery.
At the moment I do contrast showers and get plenty of protein through food and shakes.
Any supplements that help your recovery?
Any thing that improves sleep?

Thank you.

huskybear
08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I love my ETS... made a world of difference sleep wise and overall feeling... with the current sale I'm going to see if I can swing extra bottles as I felt amazing taking it in the morning and before bed... right now I just take it before bed...

Can't beat my foam roller use either

Lones Green
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Stretching, foam rolling, eating enough protein, contrast showers, massages, 2 good supplements for improved recovery (besides protein powder) would be Atlarge's ETS, and Atlarge's Results.

robchris
08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
I take ZMA and zinc at night for sounder sleep... Other than the aforementioned; ice, ice and more ice for joints, aches and pains.

NickAus
08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Thank you very much guys, I will get some ETS as I have noticed alot of people here are loving it.

chris mason
08-11-2009, 09:27 PM
ETS truly is a very unique, and effective product. I think it is one of the reasons I can train heavier, more often than most people I train with.

NickAus
08-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Can I bring ETS into Australia??

vdizenzo
08-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Seriously, ETS. You'll take it for 3-4 weeks and wonder how you ever trained without it. My other favorites are ice, massage, and extra workouts for active recuperation.

NickAus
08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Seriously, ETS. You'll take it for 3-4 weeks and wonder how you ever trained without it. My other favorites are ice, massage, and extra workouts for active recuperation.

Is it that good Vinnie?

NickAus
08-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Just ordered 4 bottles!

Clifford Gillmore
08-12-2009, 02:12 AM
I do;

Full Dynamic warm ups
Static stretching 6 hours post training
Foam rolling
Active Mobility work
Band Mobility work
I take a Creatine/malto blend PWO, and get in a quality protein another 30 minutes after that
Extra Workouts to increase GPP

And now I'm just trying to get some BSc compression gear whole sale, specifically designed for recovery.

Rob Luyando
08-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Suppliments : ETS, Releve (MHP), Activite (MHP), and Dark Matter (MHP)

Icing as much as possible after as soon as possible after heavy work outs, Deep tissue massage and ART when needed

Tom Mutaffis
08-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Hi

Just wanted some advice on improving my recovery.
At the moment I do contrast showers and get plenty of protein through food and shakes.
Any supplements that help your recovery?
Any thing that improves sleep?

Thank you.

When you talk about recovery do you mean recovering as in muscle soreness? Or are you talking about CNS / performance?

If you are trying to recover from high intensity training so that you can perform another training session I believe that sleep (ETS helps) can be a huge factor here. There are also various theories on certain foods / vitamins that help your CNS to recouperate.

When it comes to muscular soreness then things like massage, active recovery, protein intake, etc. all seem to work well.

fulldaddy
08-12-2009, 06:47 AM
I remember a thread that discussed foam rollers. Wasn't there a specific roller that was pretty durable and didn't break down as quickly? I have to get one.

I spend a lot of time warming up. I do a 5-10 min warm up on a cybex arch trainer (very knee friendly). I go through static stretching & a series of dynamic flexibility exercises. It takes some time but it is what I need to do to rock & roll.

Post workout - I do a cool down stretch. I use my stick roller (http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4404_A_CategoryID_E_201) on my legs when I get home (on squat & DL days) & then I ice my knees or shoulders & elbows on my bench days whether they need it or not.

I use a hand held massager (similar to this http://www.hammacher.com/Product/76309) in the morning on areas that really hurt and I generally ice right after that. Sometimes I will use it right before I lift if I am still sore in areas that will be affected by that workout.

Tom Mutaffis
08-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Perform Better makes good foam rollers:

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4918_A_CategoryID_E_235

The 1' would be best for your gym bag, or the 3' if you are planning on keeping it at home.

fulldaddy
08-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks Tom

=Travis=
08-12-2009, 07:59 AM
This is the foam roller I use: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=143&pid=1476

slashkills
08-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I got a cheap foam roller at target by my house and it works great

Tom Mutaffis
08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
The EliteFTS foam roller is overpriced. The Target one (GoFit) is a soft foam which is good if you are looking for something a bit less painful, though it will wear out over time.

Here are a bunch of options on Amazon.com including the GoFit, Perform Better, and Isokinetics:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foam+roller

As you will see they range from $10-20 depending on what you are looking for.

gatorman2k6
08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
PVC Pipe works well too, if you can manage to not put all your weight in the specific area. It also is the cheapest option.

JK1
08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
The EliteFTS foam roller is overpriced. The Target one (GoFit) is a soft foam which is good if you are looking for something a bit less painful, though it will wear out over time.

Here are a bunch of options on Amazon.com including the GoFit, Perform Better, and Isokinetics:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foam+roller

As you will see they range from $10-20 depending on what you are looking for.

Tom, I disagree with you on that one. I've got the same foam roller that Travis posted a link up for. I've used it religiously for over a year without it breaking down (I'm a 300+ lb guy), while the cheaper ones that we had basically fell apart in 6 months or less. For the $29.00 you will get your moneys worth.

That or you can spend $20 on a cheaper one every 6 months...

JK1
08-12-2009, 04:49 PM
For me, supplement wise:
ETS ---everyone training hard should take this supplement
Fish Oil---at least 6-8 grams per day.

Other:
deep muscle massage--I always have 2-3 sessions the three weeks before a meet to get things loose and ready
contrast hot and cold showers or contrast hot and cold packs---- on any bodypart that is strained/excessively sore
stretching
active rest---including sled dragging, walking the hill, pushing a lawnmower or splitting wood. Get moving and get blood into the muscles
sleep---take a nap if you are feeling beat up. It will help

Planned deloads--too often we beat the crap out of ourselves over and over again in the gym. Backing off a bit when you are feeling beat up---be it missing a workout or planning a deload week-- will work wonders for recovery and get you back on the track to hitting PR's. The key is to know when you need it and use it appropriately. Don't just randomly skip workouts, listen to your body.

I'm also a firm believer in just getting out in some water and floating--take the weight off your joints and just relax a little bit.

=Travis=
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Tom, I disagree with you on that one. I've got the same foam roller that Travis posted a link up for. I've used it religiously for over a year without it breaking down (I'm a 300+ lb guy), while the cheaper ones that we had basically fell apart in 6 months or less. For the $29.00 you will get your moneys worth.

That or you can spend $20 on a cheaper one every 6 months...

Yeah, I'm 300+ as well. I have tried cheaper ones and they smash down and do not work as well as the heavy duty one for which I posted the link.

JK1
08-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I'm 300+ as well. I have tried cheaper ones and they smash down and do not work as well as the heavy duty one for which I posted the link.

that foam roller is a rock when you first get it. My wife hated it---(she's ~135) because it was so hard. For me, it hurt a little, but I got over it and it was firm enough I actually felt like it was getting deeper in the muscle belly than the softer ones, which I just smashed.

NickAus
08-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Thank you everyone, extremely helpful!