PDA

View Full Version : Cambered Bar for speed bench?

Cricket_Fire
08-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Anyone use a cambered bar for speed benching? I'm really trying to get stronger off the chest raw.

Any benefit to switching between the cambered bench bar and a regular bar every few weeks?

Thanks,
Keenan

barbell01
08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
sounds like a shoulder injury waiting to happen. try dumbells or illegal wide grips, and more upper back.

Lones Green
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, a shoulder injury or pec tear waiting to happen.

If you're going to do cambered bar bench, do them with a 1 or 2 board. You'll still get some added ROM, but not too much. I've used a cambered bar for bench and I'm cringing at the thought of speed bench with the thing, haha

Do the cambered bar bench, but do it as an assistance movement, again, with the 1 or 2 board. Dumbbell presses work great for strength off the chest as well.

Cricket_Fire
08-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys :)

I've been doing lots of dumbell work lately (flat, incline, and floor press); I'll start hitting more illegal wides too. Cheers

Lones Green
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Hit the regular speed bench hard as well!

With a straight bar!

JSully
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
illegal wide = super wide grip?

Clifford Gillmore
08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
illegal wide = super wide grip?

Your old regular grip!

robchris
08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Forget the cambered bar man...(injuries) A lot better ways to increase strength & speed off the chest; (i.e. bands/ chains)

Brian Hopper
08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah, a shoulder injury or pec tear waiting to happen.

If you're going to do cambered bar bench, do them with a 1 or 2 board. You'll still get some added ROM, but not too much. I've used a cambered bar for bench and I'm cringing at the thought of speed bench with the thing, haha

Do the cambered bar bench, but do it as an assistance movement, again, with the 1 or 2 board. Dumbbell presses work great for strength off the chest as well.

I agree with lones!!!

Clone
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Guess I'm the loaner.

Perhaps because I'm not a huge bencher, but I use a cambered bar every week. But not for speed benching, more of an assistance lift.

I do them paused off 2 boards, which gives me an extra 1" ROM.

And I don't go under 3 reps, and not really a true 3RM at that.

KarstenDD
08-13-2009, 05:36 PM
My shoulders hurt just thinking about speed bench with a cambered bar.

Lones Green
08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Guess I'm the loaner.

Perhaps because I'm not a huge bencher, but I use a cambered bar every week. But not for speed benching, more of an assistance lift.

I think thats a bit excessive, but that isn't what we're talking about. The extra 1 inch ROM when using a 2 board is fine. Speed bench full range with a cambered bar is an injury waiting to happen.

Travis Bell
08-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Guess I'm the loaner.

I think thats a bit excessive, but that isn't what we're talking about. The extra 1 inch ROM when using a 2 board is fine. Speed bench full range with a cambered bar is an injury waiting to happen.

Exactly. The OP was really about using it for speed bench.

However, using it every week as an accessory movement seems a bit overkill to me, but if your shoulders and pecs feel fine then I guess it can't be really argued that it's a problem

Cricket_Fire
08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the input everyone :)

I asked Lou if you guys use them often when I was down for a session but then someone else grabbed him so I didn't get a chance to ask what for haha

Clone
08-14-2009, 12:53 AM

I guess thats kinda what I meant.

Full range cambered bar isn't a good idea.

So I was pointing out that I use it with 2 boards.