PDA

View Full Version : Brute Strength Gym Strongman Contest Video - Tom Mutaffis

Tom Mutaffis
08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Here is a video from a contest last weekend:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zv4IWJbpwks&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zv4IWJbpwks&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A full writeup can be found in my training journal.

jmccown
08-12-2009, 08:48 PM
that is amazing man. You have some serious endurance.

backseatwitme13
08-12-2009, 09:42 PM
damn that looked really good. i lost count of all those log presses. i gotta ask... are atlas stones and log presses fun?? they look like a blast.

vdizenzo
08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I got tired watching. You are an animal. You make me want to get in better condition. Hey, I did 10 trips with the sled today. Get off my back!

robchris
08-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Tom,
Awesome show of strength!!!

BTW, how much did the log for reps weigh?

Brian C
08-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Just incredible Tom. Inspiring

Clifford Gillmore
08-12-2009, 11:27 PM
18 second stones??? **** YOU!!!

Tom Mutaffis
08-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Thanks guys.

The log was 220 lbs x 19 reps. I am pleased considering that I weighed in at just over 220 lbs.

Conditioning is definitely a big factor in strongman, and I do have fun with a lot of the events.

Sensei
08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Holy crap. Nice work!

BigTallOx
08-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Good job, nice video. It looks like a lot of fun.

I did log presses and atlas stones both for the first time last Tuesday. With the log press, I had a hard time getting it to my chest to press it, but once I had it on my chest is was easy to press. I think it was 190 pounds. The guys I train with seem to have a little different technique than you do on log press though. They kind of put it on there knees, get down in a low squat and kind of roll it up on there chest as they stand up with it. That wasn't working so much for me, maybe I just need to practice it, but any suggestions would be helpful. I could put the 240 pound atlas stone on what I believe was a 54" platform pretty easily ( the platform wasn't much higher than waist high on me, lol ) but I'm sure my technique is horrible, still I was happy with how it went for the first time trying.

Lones Green
08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Wow Tom, that was insane!

Did that belt break?

Beefcaker
08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Awesome!

OT - Where are you originally from?

View 1
08-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Your strength and conditioning in unreal for being only 220lbs. Good work bro.

thewicked
08-14-2009, 12:41 AM
beast!!!

and fellow APT and ALN athlete!!! :thumbup:

insane job man.. outstanding!

mattdunkin
08-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Jesus f'ing Christ....awesome!!!!!!!!!

Tim K
08-14-2009, 07:27 AM
That was some great lifting! Outstanding!

Brian Hopper
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Awesome video, that last tire flip was insane!!!!!

Tom Mutaffis
08-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the complements.

Good job, nice video. It looks like a lot of fun.

I did log presses for the first time last Tuesday. I had a hard time getting it to my chest to press it, but once I had it on my chest is was easy to press. I think it was 190 pounds. The guys I train with seem to have a little different technique than you do on log press though. They kind of put it on there knees, get down in a low squat and kind of roll it up on there chest as they stand up with it. That wasn't working so much for me, maybe I just need to practice it, but any suggestions would be helpful.

If you have a hard time with the clean then the 'viper press' or one-motion press is not going to be the best option for you. What your friends are doing can be efficient for a lighter log when you are doing clean and press each rep - since you esentially roll the log from your lap with an explosive clean and use that momemtum to continue into the press. This works well for guys with a lot of hip power usually.

My max on one-motion press is about 50 lbs lighter, but in a clean & press for reps event I will generally use that motion for the first few since it is more efficient with regard to speed.

Right now it sounds like you are still adjusting to cleaning a log and may just need to find your technique a little bit. A video might be best, but basically you want to "lap" the log and keep your elbows high, then explode with your hips and roll the log up your body. Do not try to muscle it and do not try to curl it - it has to be a powerful movement because if the log is not in a tight 'racked' position on your shoulders then it makes the press much more difficult.

With your height I would suggest learning how to split jerk or push jerk since that is typically a better option for taller lifters - unless you have some oustanding strict pressing strength.

Hope this helps. I would be willing to make some tutorial videos on different strongman movements if people on here think that they would be useful.

BigTallOx
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Right now it sounds like you are still adjusting to cleaning a log and may just need to find your technique a little bit. A video might be best, but basically you want to "lap" the log and keep your elbows high, then explode with your hips and roll the log up your body. Do not try to muscle it and do not try to curl it - it has to be a powerful movement because if the log is not in a tight 'racked' position on your shoulders then it makes the press much more difficult.

It was hard not to try to muscle it or curl it. I'll take a video next time we do them, I don't know when that might be though.

With your height I would suggest learning how to split jerk or push jerk since that is typically a better option for taller lifters - unless you have some oustanding strict pressing strength.

OK. Thanks. No, I wouldn't call my pressing strength outstanding, lol. It's not bad and getting better though.