PDA

View Full Version : How tight should bench shirt sleeves be?

NickAus
08-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Hello

Please let me know how tight bench shirt sleeves should be?
I always had mine a little loose but have taken them in and get more out of the shirt now, I can still put the shirt on by myself in about 1 min.

Thank you!

Ryano
08-14-2009, 07:15 AM
If you can put the shirt on yourself, it's probably to loose. You should also need suit slippers or garbage bags to get the sleeves up past your elbows. I think this also depends on what type of material the shirt is made of. If it's really thick or multiply, I think it can be a litte looser than a thin single ply.

Detard
08-14-2009, 07:41 AM
My single ply shirt is really really tight. It takes about 10 mins for the guys go get the sleeves seated properly. Getting them off is even harder after I got a little bit of a pump going. They get stuck on my forearms and definiitely takes some skin away when we pull it off.

I think single ply equipment needs to be tighter for the lifter to get more out of it. Multi-ply gear can be looser.

MarcusWild
08-14-2009, 10:24 AM
The sleeves have to be really, really right. The last time I wore my super katana I had the marks on my entire upper arm from the weave of the fabric.

Clifford Gillmore
08-14-2009, 01:44 PM
When we put on Henry Days' Super Katana it takes us about 10 minutes to get it seated without bench slippers/garbage bags, he was struggling to get 270kg down to a 2-board with that shirt though. MY old inzer DD went on in about a minute with a closed back and no slippers, and I got about 20kg out of it - and the arms were, comfortable.

Priest
08-14-2009, 03:06 PM
It all depends. I use two different shirts when competing.
My opener is pretty loose. I have the arms loose so it is
an easy touch.

Attempt #1 - Get one on the board

Attempt #2/#3 - Get a shirt that is snug and go for a pr.

But, you have to watch how tight you get it. The reason why
is if you get a shirt that takes 1000 pounds to touch and you cant
press it, or lock it out, then why have it at this point in your lifting
career?

So, Get it tight, but make sure you can get a lift with it. Does that make sense? Or am I rambling?

Brian C
08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
God I love my APT Apex. No tightness troubles for me. Fits like a Tshirt, very comfortable, goes on in 1 minute by myself, and I get about 120 out of it. I sure dont miss killing myself getting on my X.....

Ryano
08-14-2009, 07:37 PM
God I love my APT Apex. No tightness troubles for me. Fits like a Tshirt, very comfortable, goes on in 1 minute by myself, and I get about 120 out of it. I sure dont miss killing myself getting on my X.....
Not cutting the APT Apex shirt, but I'm getting about 250 from a single ply Titan. Maybe you need to tighten it up some.

Rob Luyando
08-14-2009, 08:31 PM
The more exsperienced you are the tighter you want your sleeves. My sleeves just about draw blood every work out.

NickAus
08-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Thank you everyone, I think my sleeves are still not tight enough but they are much better than before-it now takes about 575 to get to a 2 board.
Once I can touch with my shirt I will tighten them right up and work down the boards again.
Thank you everyone and good luck.

Clifford Gillmore
08-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Thank you everyone, I think my sleeves are still not tight enough but they are much better than before-it now takes about 575 to get to a 2 board.
Once I can touch with my shirt I will tighten them right up and work down the boards again.
Thank you everyone and good luck.

How long ago did you get it done Nick? And who did it for you?

NickAus
08-15-2009, 08:37 AM
How long ago did you get it done Nick? And who did it for you?

I have figured out a couple of ways to tighten up the sleeves-the long way is to do it your self, just pinch half a cm then stitch the **** out of it (this will make then 1 cm tighter-5mm x 2).

The quick way is to turn the shirt inside out and duck tape round and round the sleeves till they fit well-5 revolutions will tighten them right up!
Of course if you want to use the shirt in comps you will need to take your shirt to a seamstress, they will turn it inside out and stitch down the seam lines.

Clifford Gillmore
08-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I have figured out a couple of ways to tighten up the sleeves-the long way is to do it your self, just pinch half a cm then stitch the **** out of it (this will make then 1 cm tighter-5mm x 2).

The quick way is to turn the shirt inside out and duck tape round and round the sleeves till they fit well-5 revolutions will tighten them right up!
Of course if you want to use the shirt in comps you will need to take your shirt to a seamstress, they will turn it inside out and stitch down the seam lines.

Hahaha, If I take mine In I'll actually sew a seam in and overlock it. I knew that home economics class would make me bench more!

NickAus
08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Hahaha, If I take mine In I'll actually sew a seam in and overlock it. I knew that home economics class would make me bench more!

Yep, it was all worth it lol!

NickAus
08-15-2009, 08:40 PM

Just noticed you knew it was overlocking ha that is funny!