PDA

View Full Version : high rep squats

jmccown
08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I need opinions of doing high rep squat sets to help build ME strength, using submaximal weight for higher rep ranges. My past regime I will typically do 3-4 sets of 5 reps. I will work up to a set of 2-3 reps as heavy as I can go and still maintain good form. I have been thinking about doing higher reps in the 15-20 rep range for both hypertrophy and strength. I am pretty weak in my legs and my squat is less than my bench and my deadlift. Do you guys think this is worthwhile to do say a program say work up to a 3x5 and a 4th set drop back to about 60% for a high rep set?

dynamo
08-14-2009, 12:21 PM
20 rep squats are awesome. definitely do them.

Off Road
08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow...a topic on this forum I can contribute to :thumbup:

Definately try it. Do your 3x5, then drop the weight to about 65%-70% and crank out a set of twenty. Watch your form because you'll be fatigued from the heavy work sets. If nothing else, it would be good for conditioning, but I'm sure you'll see more benefits than that.

YoungNoble
08-14-2009, 12:35 PM
20 rep squats: good stuff.

grab a weight you can complete 10 reps with. once you've completed 10 reps you summon your inner strength and intensity and force yourself to pump out 10 more reps at WHATEVER cost. if you have to do 3 reps, rest, 2 reps, rest, 1 rep, rest, 1 rep, 2 reps, rest, rest, rest, rest and 1 final rep: that's what you have to do but just pump out those 20.

one set should get the job done :)

Sensei
08-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm just guessing that you are relatively new to training. I like high-reps squats and I do them from time to time, but I wouldn't recommend them to people without rock-solid form to begin with.

JMO

ZenMonkey
08-14-2009, 03:08 PM
two sets should get the job done :)

One set is more than enough. Two is way too much.

barbell01
08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
for beginners high rep squats yes, after that no

ZenMonkey
08-14-2009, 03:17 PM
for beginners high rep squats yes, after that no

No. High rep squats can be used by trainees of any level. They have a number of uses including breaking out of stagnation, increasing hgh secretion and building a higher lactic acid threshold.

KarlMarx
08-14-2009, 03:47 PM

Agreed. If you do the first one hard, there is no second one. I'll lean on the bar a good while or sometimes I'll even basically just fall/sit on the floor when I was done and stay there awhile.

I liked it. Super Squats is a good book on this idea.

ZenMonkey
08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I'll even basically just fall/sit on the floor when I was done and stay there awhile.
a.

Haha, I do the same thing. After I rack it I just kinda fall/sit down and lay there in the squat rack for a while until I can stand again.

Sensei
08-14-2009, 04:55 PM
No. High rep squats can be used by trainees of any level. They have a number of uses including breaking out of stagnation, increasing hgh secretion and building a higher lactic acid threshold.
High reps for beginners w. mediocre form at best is a really, really, really bad idea imo. You are ingraining bad habits.

ZenMonkey
08-14-2009, 05:06 PM
High reps for beginners w. mediocre form at best is a really, really, really bad idea imo. You are ingraining bad habits.

I agree completely. Good footnote.

Pete22
08-14-2009, 06:33 PM

This. If you don't die, pass out, or puke after the first set, then consider yourself lucky. Don't tempt fate with another 20-rep set.

-JM-
08-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I need opinions of doing high rep squat sets to help build ME strength

In response to this I would say no. Doing high reps will not be the best way to go about increasing your ME.

Having a weight on your back that is initially 'comfortable' through 10-15 reps is not the same as having a crushing load on your back that you only hope/know you will get for a single/double or triple. Its just not the same. Just because 225 feels like 335 by the 18th rep doesnt make it so.

To increase your ME squat, (I believe) you need to be under heavier loads more often and work around those ME reps.

Just my 2c.

Sensei
08-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Not sure at all, but I thought the OP meant "ME" as in muscular endurance, not maximal effort...

-JM-
08-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Sorry, I honestly thought he meant Maximal Effort.

Edit: I will just crawl back under my rock :)

jmccown
08-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Not a beginner. I compete push/pull only in the past. I've just never gotten into squat that much. I want to though. And yes, ME, I meant maximal effort. I want to get some size on my legs with the reps. How about squatting with this routine as a DE day and then do a low rep day with much heavier weights? Say Monday and Friday routine.

isaku900
08-14-2009, 08:47 PM
i used to throw in some 20 rep squats after my DE squats when I first started dabbling with a westside style program.

i would have been better off doing my DE work a little heavier.

Virtron
08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
I think the 20 rep death set would contribute to squatting strength as well as hypertrophy. I would do it using a 10 rep max. Then get to 20 breathing.

I dunno. I'm not an expert, but I think the repetition method does contribute to squatting strength.

Buccos1
08-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Not a beginner. I compete push/pull only in the past. I've just never gotten into squat that much. I want to though. And yes, ME, I meant maximal effort. I want to get some size on my legs with the reps. How about squatting with this routine as a DE day and then do a low rep day with much heavier weights? Say Monday and Friday routine.

You will grow if you undertake a 20/high rep squat program. Every 4-5 months, I work in an exclusive high rep squat routine for legs for 2 - 3 weeks. This is one workout per week with light accesory work. I have seen great results with this approach with size and strength.

YoungNoble
08-15-2009, 02:59 PM
You're absolutely right. That was an honest mistake on my part. I don't remember what I was thinking of while I was typing out my response in that particular moment but for some reason I wrote down two as opposed to one lol.

Honest mistake. :thumbup: One IS more than enough,

ZenMonkey
08-15-2009, 03:19 PM
You're absolutely right. That was an honest mistake on my part. I don't remember what I was thinking of while I was typing out my response in that particular moment but for some reason I wrote down two as opposed to one lol.

Honest mistake. :thumbup: One IS more than enough,

:thumbup::hello:

jmccown
08-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys. I'll fit a 20 rep squat in next week.

Sensei
08-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Sorry, I honestly thought he meant Maximal Effort.

Edit: I will just crawl back under my rock :)Turns out you were right and I agree w. you. If the OP is after maximal strength development, doing high reps concurrently is not the best option (IMO).