PDA

View Full Version : Metal squat suits

BigTallOx
08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
I have a Metal IPF Squatter single ply squat suit. I like the suit, it saves my hips while both squatting and pulling ( but it doesn't add that much weight to my squat ), but it's now got a hole in one of the straps. My plan is to get it patched/fixed and continue to use it for deadlifting and buy a new 2 ply suit for squatting. I've been looking at the Metal Pro and the Metal Ace Pro, but I don't really understand what the difference is other than the price. Anybody who knows whats the difference between these two suits please post it.

Also, if anybody has general advice on what suit would be best for me, also please let me know. My current max squat is 525 in my suite, and I've squatted 475 raw, my stance is slightly wider than my shoulders ( but I'm working on getting wider ).

MarcusWild
08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Ace has velcro straps. You probably want that since you're 6'8. The ace is also made be thicket/tougher material. I really liked the ace until my legs to too big in proportion to my hips. It's was too much hassle trying to get one altered to fit right.

BigTallOx
08-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Ace has velcro straps. You probably want that since you're 6'8. The ace is also made be thicket/tougher material. I really liked the ace until my legs to too big in proportion to my hips. It's was too much hassle trying to get one altered to fit right.

The metal pro doesn't have velcro straps?

UHCougar05
08-14-2009, 03:49 PM
The metal pro doesn't have velcro straps?Nope, you have to have someone put velcro on them.

BigTallOx
08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Ah, OK. I definitely want velcro straps. Thanks.

Pete22
08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I have an Ace Squatter and I love it. The suit forces your knees out, gives great rebound, and the the velcro straps are good for adjusting tightness for different attempts. It was pretty loose when I got it so it was relatively easy to learn, but still gave me pretty good carryover.

The Pro material is thinner, stretchier, and not as "gangster" if you will.

Lones Green
08-14-2009, 08:13 PM
BTO I would say get the Pro squatter and get velcro put on the straps. I don't think you're advanced enough for an Ace suit (no offense, neither am I), I think the Ace would be a bit much for a first double ply suit.

Sean Hatley
08-14-2009, 08:30 PM
The Boss is a good suit. Very easy to hit depth in. Comes with Velcro straps and has ridiculous rebound. Or even an Inzer T-rex is a good poly suit. Just a suggestion. They cost about the same as the Metal Pro, but the T-rex and Boss come with Velcro straps.

BigTallOx
08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
BTO I would say get the Pro squatter and get velcro put on the straps. I don't think you're advanced enough for an Ace suit (no offense, neither am I), I think the Ace would be a bit much for a first double ply suit.

I don't take offense. I'm trying to find the right suit for me. Thanks for your advice. I've read that the metal ace is easy to learn though, is it just that it's easy to learn for advanced squatters?

BigTallOx
08-14-2009, 08:44 PM
The Boss is a good suit. Very easy to hit depth in. Comes with Velcro straps and has ridiculous rebound. Or even an Inzer T-rex is a good poly suit. Just a suggestion. They cost about the same as the Metal Pro, but the T-rex and Boss come with Velcro straps.

Easy to hit depth in sounds like a plus. I tried a buddies metal ace suit that was too big ( my current suit is 58, his ace was 60 I'm assuming my size in the ace would still be 58 ), and it was still hard to hit depth in with the straps up. I'm kind of apprehensive to switch brands though since I really like my single ply metal suit. Maybe that's nothing to worry about.

Pete22
08-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I don't take offense. I'm trying to find the right suit for me. Thanks for your advice. I've read that the metal ace is easy to learn though, is it just that it's easy to learn for advanced squatters?

If you can sit back and force your knees out, then you can learn this suit. But again, the tighter you get it the harder it will be to hit depth and keep form (obviously).

BigTallOx
08-14-2009, 08:52 PM
If you can sit back and force your knees out, then you can learn this suit. But again, the tighter you get it the harder it will be to hit depth and keep form (obviously).

Hmm, I don't have a problem forcing my knees out, I'm still learning how to sit back. My current suit doesn't really require me to sit back, ie it doesn't force my knees forward if I don't sit back.

BigTallOx
08-14-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't think you're advanced enough for an Ace suit (no offense, neither am I), I think the Ace would be a bit much for a first double ply suit.

So, just another question... Would actually squatting in the Ace help me get advanced enough for the Ace, ie faster than not squatting in the Ace? I'm not trying to be "smart", its a serious question.

As a side question, everybody said that you shouldn't bench in a katana until you bench 500+, but I'm really liking my katana ( although the chest plate is a little big, the arms are not ) eventhough I bench just slightly ( every so slightly, URG! ) under 400. I suspect it's because my long limbs can put more torque/pressure/stress on a shirt/suit than shorter limbs and thus even though I don't bench 500+, it's still the right shirt for me. Maybe all of this is wrong, I don't know. But is it possible that an ace that's a little big would be the right suit for me like I feel my katana is the right bench shirt for me ( at least for now )?

I guess another reason why I'd rather not switch brands, ie to titan, is that I know my current suit fits right, size 58, and from what I understand the Metal Pro and the Metal Ace Pro are all sized the same. So, I feel confident I won't have to send it back. Maybe I don't really need the velcro, my current suit doesn't have velcro and although I feel I'm needing more of a suit I've liked it. Do the straps interfear with the bar on you back? That is, can the straps make the bar harder to place on your back? Has anybody had velcro added to the Metal Pro?

Sean S
08-15-2009, 07:45 AM
You can send a Metal Pro squatter to Ginny Phillips and get velcro put on the straps for ~$30 plus shipping. Another advantage of velcro is that you can adjust the tightness of the straps depending the attempt or the weight. Any multi-ply suit can cause problems with the bar. With these multi-ply suits it's generally best to squat with your torso as upright as possible, which means a higher bar placement is better. Carrying the bar higher also keeps it from sliding down your back once you get the straps up.
If it were up to me, I would get the Ace suit and work with it to learn to use it well.

Lones Green
08-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Yeah I sent my pro to Ginny as well.

The ace fits a bit different, its thicker material and the sizing isn't EXACTLY like the pro squatter

The ace is more gangster material, its going to be a bit harder to learn but you'll get more carryover. I'm just not sure it'd be the best idea for a first multi ply suit.

Do you have briefs?

KarstenDD
08-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Ace. It's the best poly suit available.

BigTallOx
08-15-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm just not sure it'd be the best idea for a first multi ply suit.

And I'm not trying to suggest it would be either. I can't be buying a few different suits to figure out what's the right one.

A buddy I squats with has an Ace suit, he squats slightly more than me and he seems to like it.

Do you have briefs?

Yes, I have some inzer power pants.

Lones Green
08-15-2009, 05:15 PM
And I'm not trying to suggest it would be either. I can't be buying a few different suits to figure out what's the right one.

A buddy I squats with has an Ace suit, he squats slightly more than me and he seems to like it.

Yes, I have some inzer power pants.

You could get a pair of double ply briefs and the pro squatter and add a lot more to your squat than you're getting now

Dave Schwab
08-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I've read that the metal ace is easy to learn though, is it just that it's easy to learn for advanced squatters?

I wouldn't say the Ace is easy to learn. It does not have a very forgiving groove, from my experience. If your form is on and you hit the groove, great suit. If not, it throws you all around in the hole. Like Lones suggested, the Pro suit with velcro, and good briefs, is a very good combo to learn multi-ply gear with, as the groove is much more forgiving and will give you some good success while you dial-in your form with multi-ply gear.

Lones Green
08-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't say the Ace is easy to learn. It does not have a very forgiving groove, from my experience. If your form is on and you hit the groove, great suit. If not, it throws you all around in the hole. Like Lones suggested, the Pro suit with velcro, and good briefs, is a very good combo to learn multi-ply gear with, as the groove is much more forgiving and will give you some good success while you dial-in your form with multi-ply gear.

Yeah Dave, didn't you have trouble with the Ace stuff awhile back?

Dave Schwab
08-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah Dave, didn't you have trouble with the Ace stuff awhile back?

Sure did, scrapped it for the Pro/Pro combo for awhile. With the length and tightness of the leg cuffs, it caused particular difficulty for me to push out my knees and kicked me forward out of the hole. A certain WR squatter in my gym had a similar issue.

Lones Green
08-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Sure did, scrapped it for the Pro/Pro combo for awhile. With the length and tightness of the leg cuffs, it caused particular difficulty for me to push out my knees and kicked me forward out of the hole. A certain WR squatter in my gym had a similar issue.

Thats what I was thinking.

I don't think I'm going to bother with Ace, I'll try canvas after my pro gives out

BigTallOx
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
You could get a pair of double ply briefs and the pro squatter and add a lot more to your squat than you're getting now

So adding the velcro to the pro suit is easily done, and it's just as good as the straps on the ace?

Sean Hatley
08-16-2009, 07:50 AM

I don't think I'm going to bother with Ace, I'll try canvas after my pro gives out

Go with the Leviathan. Best suit out there. The tighter you crank down the straps the more upright you stay. It wont fold you over like some poly suits do when you crank the straps down.

Lones Green
08-16-2009, 07:52 AM
So adding the velcro to the pro suit is easily done, and it's just as good as the straps on the ace?

Yes. It costs about 30 bucks and the velcro Ginny puts on there is very thick and durable. I had it done to mine.

Lones Green
08-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Go with the Leviathan. Best suit out there. The tighter you crank down the straps the more upright you stay. It wont fold you over like some poly suits do when you crank the straps down.

I have a problem with folding over anyway, haha. I hear good things about canvas keeping you more upright, but I also hear your form needs to be flawless.

Sean Hatley
08-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I have a problem with folding over anyway, haha. I hear good things about canvas keeping you more upright, but I also hear your form needs to be flawless.

You need the leviathan then.
Not Necessarily with a leviathan, I seen one guy get 50lbs out of one he could pull off himself which means its too big. DOnt know about the Frantz or Ginny ones cause i havent tried them. I got mine that fit a 275er brand new. Sent it to Inzer and had it altered everything for 25 bucks and fits great. Could be a little tighter in the hips like a half inch more on each side. Still great pop and the support is just unreal. I see them all the time for sale on ebay or fortified iron for dirt cheap and barely used.

SELK
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Ive used both the pro and the ace. I use the ace now.

The ace took 2 training sessions before I got it to depth, the pro I squatted ~200lbs over my best raw squat first time using it. With the ace you just have to make sure the suit is seated 100% up to your crotch and force your knees out. As you get stronger tighten the straps down more, other then 3rd attempts in a contest my straps are always quite loose.

I got my ace ~2 years ago, I was a 198. I am now a 242 and I still use the exact same suit. It does last well, i think I have another 2-3 meets left in it at least, maybe more.

Lones Green
08-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Ive used both the pro and the ace. I use the ace now.

The ace took 2 training sessions before I got it to depth, the pro I squatted ~200lbs over my best raw squat first time using it. With the ace you just have to make sure the suit is seated 100% up to your crotch and force your knees out. As you get stronger tighten the straps down more, other then 3rd attempts in a contest my straps are always quite loose.

I got my ace ~2 years ago, I was a 198. I am now a 242 and I still use the exact same suit. It does last well, i think I have another 2-3 meets left in it at least, maybe more.

You must have stretched the hell out of that suit when you were growing, haha

SELK
08-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Its possible, I don't wear it all that much though, I think my gut is the only thing that grew! :D

BigTallOx
08-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Not that I think everybody cares, but made a decision, I ordered the Titan Boss suit from Ken Anderson. I hope it works well for me, time will tell I guess.

Lones Green
08-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Not that I think everybody cares, but made a decision, I ordered the Titan Boss suit from Ken Anderson. I hope it works well for me, time will tell I guess.

Thats a pretty gangster suit, be patient with it

KarstenDD
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM

So you're going to avoid the Ace suit because you've heard it's difficult to learn and go with a Leviathan? That makes zero sense.

Lones Green
08-20-2009, 03:20 AM
So you're going to avoid the Ace suit because you've heard it's difficult to learn and go with a Leviathan? That makes zero sense.

I never said I was avoiding the Ace because it was hard to learn. I also never said canvas was easy to learn.

I want to switch to canvas because I have problems with coming forward occassionally.

We're talking a ways down the line as well, in a year or so