PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with final few inches of squat?

martin
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey, help!

Just been racking my brains about something and wonder if anyone can help.

Everytime I have squatted in a comp I really struggle with the last 4- inches of my squats. It feels like my body's shaking and is a big struggle to finish it off.

Now Im pretty good at box squats vs bands, reverse band squats and also seem to cope fine with the extra tension during circa max phases.

What could be causing it to go wrong in meets??

Thanks for any help

M

slashkills
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Could be hips and quads. I would try high box squats

MarcusWild
08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Are you getting a little off balance?

JSully
08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
or super heavy quarter squats..

martin
08-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Could be hips and quads. I would try high box squats

Thanks, I may just do this. How high is high? I use a 13.5" box for most of my squat work so maybe around 16-18"?

Are you getting a little off balance?

Im not sure. Here's my last meet where I squatted 838.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONIeSzuOpMQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONIeSzuOpMQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Look around 40 seconds in and see what you think?

Looking at it it looks ok, maybe sticking a little bit lower than I thought. It certainly feels alot harder than it looks those top inches.

Thanks

M

Travis Bell
08-15-2009, 06:40 AM
I think you're probably over analyzing it a little. That squat looked fine.

Just to be clear though, high box squats would not be a good way to fix weak hips. That's going to train your hips even less and actually make the problem worse (if there was one)

Ultra wide stance stiff legged deads is an excellent way to help them along as is taking a really wide stance on your box squats for DE day for awhile.

You might try and turn your feet out a little more and really push those knees out on the way down and up to allow yourself to get into better position.

Sensei
08-15-2009, 06:46 AM
I think you're probably over analyzing it a little. That squat looked fine. I agree completely. I'd like to see a squat where you are actually struggling.

Just to be clear though, high box squats would not be a good way to fix weak hips. That's going to train your hips even less and actually make the problem worse (if there was one)

Ultra wide stance stiff legged deads is an excellent way to help them along as is taking a really wide stance on your box squats for DE day for awhile.

You might try and turn your feet out a little more and really push those knees out on the way down and up to allow yourself to get into better position.
I agree w. everything here. You might also try some ultra-wide stance GMs.

Lones Green
08-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Yes do not do high box squats.

That squat wasn't a grinder by any means, throw 900 on there and get a video of that!

A sticking point at the top isn't uncommon in gear though!

Sean S
08-15-2009, 04:18 PM
The only time I've had a high sticking point was at a meet when I got just a little forward as I was coming up. It didn't feeling like I was falling forward or anything it just suddenly got very hard and the bar nearly stopped. Then it just popped up. When I went back and looked at the video my upper back got just a little loose and the bar moved forward very slightly, but this was enough to cause a problem. I added 20 lbs. to my next attempt, but kept my upper back arched better, and smoked it.
I don't really see anything in the video. It doesn't even look all that difficult. Sometimes it just feels heavy at the top because it's heavy and you lose support from the equipment up top.

mastermonster
08-17-2009, 09:17 PM
The only time I've had a high sticking point was at a meet when I got just a little forward as I was coming up. It didn't feeling like I was falling forward or anything it just suddenly got very hard and the bar nearly stopped. Then it just popped up. When I went back and looked at the video my upper back got just a little loose and the bar moved forward very slightly, but this was enough to cause a problem. I added 20 lbs. to my next attempt, but kept my upper back arched better, and smoked it.
I don't really see anything in the video. It doesn't even look all that difficult. Sometimes it just feels heavy at the top because it's heavy and you lose support from the equipment up top.

I've had this exact same thing happen. That could very well be what you're feeling.

blownby
08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Agreed above, as the squat looks very good. Add more weight like mentioned above and see where you are stalling.

I too however am having the same/similiar problem....i begin to stall/slow about midway up. RAW lifter however,....i seem to pop out of the hole good, then start to stall about half way up.

What does everyone recommend for this area of sticking....as not sure if it would be different for a raw lift?

Reko
08-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Agreed above, as the squat looks very good. Add more weight like mentioned above and see where you are stalling.

I too however am having the same/similiar problem....i begin to stall/slow about midway up. RAW lifter however,....i seem to pop out of the hole good, then start to stall about half way up.

What does everyone recommend for this area of sticking....as not sure if it would be different for a raw lift?

Whenever I have issues like this its usually because I don't keep upright under the bar. If I can stay upright with a tight arch, this doesn't seem to be an issue. This happened to me on my second attempt at my last meet, made th enecessary mental adjustments and then smoked it on my third attempt.

not sure if it is the same for you though.

martin
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
I think you're probably over analyzing it a little. That squat looked fine.

Thanks. I'm a litle mentally shy to take my squats to the limit for some reason - maybe I'm just getting used to squatting big numbers still. I'd like to have a go at 880-905 at the WPC Worlds in Novmber.

Cheers for all the help guys. I'll keep on with what I'm doing, turn my feet out a little more and add some wide stiff leg DL's to training and see what hapens in November :)

Thanks again,

Martin

Beverly McD.
08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks. I'm a litle mentally shy to take my squats to the limit for some reason - maybe I'm just getting used to squatting big numbers still. I'd like to have a go at 880-905 at the WPC Worlds in Novmber.

Cheers for all the help guys. I'll keep on with what I'm doing, turn my feet out a little more and add some wide stiff leg DL's to training and see what hapens in November :)

Thanks again,

Martin

Squats look strong to me. Good luck in November Martin.

Chris Rodgers
08-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Yea that did not look like you had to struggle much to finish the lift. How often do you use bands in your squat training? I noticed you said you did circa max.

Another random question...do you cut weight for your meets? I noticed I can unrack anything in the gym with ease...bands, chains, straight weight...but sometimes I shake a little at meets. I don't think it's nerves since I have done a ton of meets, but it might be from cutting weight and feeling a bit weakened? Just a thought.

martin
08-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Squats look strong to me. Good luck in November Martin.

Yea that did not look like you had to struggle much to finish the lift. How often do you use bands in your squat training? I noticed you said you did circa max.

Another random question...do you cut weight for your meets? I noticed I can unrack anything in the gym with ease...bands, chains, straight weight...but sometimes I shake a little at meets. I don't think it's nerves since I have done a ton of meets, but it might be from cutting weight and feeling a bit weakened? Just a thought.

Well long story but I had some tendon problems in my quads in March that meant I could not do any squatting (no DE or ME) until I started my circa-max phase in June. I was fine with the bands then worked upto about 500 plus 400lbs of tension.

I did cut quite a bit of weight though. Maybe this is the problem. You could be onto something here.