PDA

View Full Version : new routine, not recovering as fast

jtteg_x
08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm not new to training and I have a base on the major 3 lifts. I changed up my routine and decided to try Vincent Dizenzo's raw bench program. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/600lb_raw_bench.htm
I never performed the same lifts two times per week beside the exception of bench (speed bench + ME bench on different days). This is a new form of training to me and my body is really getting beat up. I get 6-7 hours of sleep average and I take a 55g protein shake after every workout followed by a meal. I am seeing progress but would like to know if this is a normal feeling? Is it THAT hardcore on the body? What else is there to do to enhance the recovery process?

Beverly McD.
08-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Try adding aspirin or ibuprofin to your recovery program, at least once a day. (assuming you have no bleeding issues)
I would also strongly suggest you ice the low back after every workout. Addressing inflammation is a key part of recovering from a powerlifting style program. Icing your knees and shoulders should help too, but low back for sure.

sayagain
08-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I do a Westside routine which calls for 4 workouts a week. I have found that I do better by stretching it out to 8 days instead of 7, which eliminates the back to back workouts on Sunday and Monday that a typical Westside routine calls for. I've seen others that stretch it out further, so basically you have to find what works best for you. If you aren't recovering, don't hesitate to experiment with the frequency of your workouts, as well as the intensity of some of your accessory work. Sometimes less is more.

jtteg_x
08-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I stretch before a deadlift/squat workout but I'll try stretching twice (after the workout as well). I'm on 600mg ibuprofen per day. I used to ice in the past but it never worked for me.