PDA

View Full Version : How can I keep my wrists straight when I bench?

Brian999
08-15-2009, 06:50 PM
I try to keep my wrists straight when I bench press, but they always seem to go down and all the pressure goes to my wrists. I can usually finish my set this way, but Im sure I could bench more if I were able to keep them straight. Any tips? Sometimes when I unrack the bar I can keep my left wrist straight but my right isn't at all. Not sure if my skinny wrists would be the problem:confused:

Thanks in advance!

dynamo
08-15-2009, 07:08 PM
do some direct forearm work. I enjoy static holds (where you hold heavy ass dumbbells as long as possible) and farmer walks. My forearms rival most people's calves.

Sensei
08-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Wrist strength can be an issue, but how you place the bar across the palms might be a/the source of your problem. I wouldn't recommend a 'suicide grip' (thumbless grip), but a lot of people use one to help them get proper positioning under the bar. It should be very slightly angled in the palm, rather than straight across.

Brian999
08-15-2009, 07:32 PM
do some direct forearm work. I enjoy static holds (where you hold heavy ass dumbbells as long as possible) and farmer walks. My forearms rival most people's calves.

Oh OK, I have no forearms. Even If I flex them, you cant see them and I never directly train them so that could be the problem. I cant do farmer walks because I dont have the bar. I do have a hand gripper, that I never use is that for forearms? I also see a lot of people in my gym just curling a barbell at the wrist, Im assuming thats good for forearms too? I'll also give the stattic holds a shot too.

Sean S
08-15-2009, 07:36 PM
As was mentioned before, the problem is most likely where you hold the bar in your palm. It needs to sit down near the heel of your palm so it's over the bones of the forearm and not sitting back near the base of your fingers. Doing some more forearm and grip work is probably good for you, but it won't help much if you're not holding the bar correctly. Also, depending on the weight we're talking about you might consider getting a pair of wrist wraps.

dynamo
08-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh OK, I have no forearms. Even If I flex them, you cant see them and I never directly train them so that could be the problem. I cant do farmer walks because I dont have the bar. I do have a hand gripper, that I never use is that for forearms? I also see a lot of people in my gym just curling a barbell at the wrist, Im assuming thats good for forearms too? I'll also give the stattic holds a shot too.

well if you just walk with some dumb bells thats a farmers walk i would say. wrist curls are good too. yes the hand gripper is for forearms too, try what the others said too. I'm not sure how much it will affect your lifting but once your hand is positioned right squeeze the **** out of the bar (like you want to crush it to dust). I find it is a good forearm work out and helps keep form if i'm not toooo tired.

Brian999
08-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Wrist strength can be an issue, but how you place the bar across the palms might be a/the source of your problem. I wouldn't recommend a 'suicide grip' (thumbless grip), but a lot of people use one to help them get proper positioning under the bar. It should be very slightly angled in the palm, rather than straight across.

Thanks! I'll give the thumbless grip a shot. When I was looking at some benching videos on youtube I noticed a lot of powerlifters who used a thumbless grip.

As was mentioned before, the problem is most likely where you hold the bar in your palm. It needs to sit down near the heel of your palm so it's over the bones of the forearm and not sitting back near the base of your fingers. Doing some more forearm and grip work is probably good for you, but it won't help much if you're not holding the bar correctly. Also, depending on the weight we're talking about you might consider getting a pair of wrist wraps.

I'll have to see where I place the bar in my hand Monday when I bench again. Im assuming I do place it close to my fingers because my wrist bends all the way back. I also forgot to mention when I use light weight to warm up, my wrist stays STRAIGHT, so would this be a forearm issue then? :confused: As of now I can bench 245, I can bench more for a single but Im doing that until I can hit 5 reps.

well if you just walk with some dumb bells thats a farmers walk i would say. wrist curls are good too. yes the hand gripper is for forearms too, try what the others said too. I'm not sure how much it will affect your lifting but once your hand is positioned right squeeze the **** out of the bar (like you want to crush it to dust). I find it is a good forearm work out and helps keep form if i'm not toooo tired.

Cool, thanks for the tips, I'll do some of this stuff on Monday. Having big forearms should look pretty good too! :)

barbell01
08-15-2009, 09:17 PM
ummmmm, do not use a thumbless grip. for one, it is dangerous and for two, you need to try and pull the bar apart when you bench so that it activates your rear delts which will give you more leverage allowing you to lift more #'s. just don't go thumbless...

LuNa
08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I think he could try a thumbless grip but without weight on the bar. Doing so will still give him the proper placement but less risk of getting injured when you would drop the bar. If you are going to put weight on the bar and use a thumbless grip, get a spotter.

Rob Luyando
08-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Work your wrists more with heavy dumbells and barbell curls. Wrap your wrist up high creating a ledge so your wrist can't bend back. The wraps should be turning your hands purple.

jp2
08-16-2009, 09:37 AM
forearm/wrist roller. I made one out of a metal pipe instead of pvc, works great, roll up and down, when you get to the bottom, roll up the other direction, then back down again. It kills after a few times

Ado87IYdceM

fwn0dKVoeVo&feature=related

jp2
08-16-2009, 09:40 AM
If you are going to put weight on the bar and use a thumbless grip, get a spotter.

OP..be really really careful with the suicide grip. watch this vid if you don't have a weak stomach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJCDcAKShA&feature=PlayList&p=A1B01F41D0F200AB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26

Brian999
08-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Work your wrists more with heavy dumbells and barbell curls. Wrap your wrist up high creating a ledge so your wrist can't bend back. The wraps should be turning your hands purple.

I'll do some wrist work Monday. Also about the wrist wraps, I recived a free 12" pair from APT when I ordered from them. I tryed it out, and dont like benching with them on, so I just stuck with using nothing. I have read a couple threads here on wrist wraps and people reccomend 36" not 12" ones. Should I grab some 36" wraps? Is that what there for, to keep your wrists straight?

forearm/wrist roller. I made one out of a metal pipe instead of pvc, works great, roll up and down, when you get to the bottom, roll up the other direction, then back down again. It kills after a few times

Ado87IYdceM

fwn0dKVoeVo&feature=related

Thanks for the links. I think I have most of that stuff here besides the clamp. I'll try making one in a bit. I sure don't want the weight falling on my chest like that, I have seen something like that before in my gym while a guy was doing incline, and he was using a thumbless grip. Dropped it on his stomach.

Rob Luyando
08-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Yes get 36 in wraps. Strangulaters by apt are good

SEOINAGE
08-16-2009, 09:21 PM
OP..be really really careful with the suicide grip. watch this vid if you don't have a weak stomach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJCDcAKShA&feature=PlayList&p=A1B01F41D0F200AB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26

Not to mention his spotter looks like he half caused the problem.

twm
08-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Not to mention his spotter looks like he half caused the problem.

i think that guy posts on here. he walked away uninjured but a little sore if i recall correctly. very fortunate!

LuNa
08-17-2009, 06:45 AM

Saw that movie before. Turned me off benchpressing in the beginning :p

vdizenzo
08-17-2009, 08:04 AM
I use a suicide grip. I have seen horrible accidents with guys holding the bar regular grip also. Do I recommend it, no, but it's not the devil either. As far as keeping straight wrists, you could learn like our training partner Josh. He fractured his forearm in a meet while benching. To his credit he has come back and he benches with his wrists completely straight now. Fear is a great motivator.

KarstenDD
08-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Grip the bar tighter, wrap your wrists tighter.

theBarzeen
08-17-2009, 02:22 PM
squeeze the bar..... wrap once up over the heel of your hand before wrapping around your wrist.... deadlift..... just keep working at it

Brian999
08-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll place an order with APT and grab me a pair of Strangulaters but in the meantime train my wrists/forearms.

KarlMarx
08-18-2009, 07:53 AM

Good advice (I needed to hear this). People have said different things but no one as far along as Rob.
Thanks.

themavinator
12-28-2009, 03:04 PM
to me it seems like unless your an advanced lifter using a thumbless grip could make it worse because people overcompensate back with their wrists so that the bar doesn't fall out. And like was mentioned wrap the wrist wraps tightly and over your hand as well. You may be able to get stronger forearms but you can't grow bigger wrists so wraps can help with this.

cpa5oh
12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Could not keeping your elbows underneath your wrists be a cause of this also? Because if you don't have the elbows under the wrists (and you're doing a little bit of a barbell tricep extension) you'd really have to fight to keep those wrists straight, no?

I have the problem of bending my wrists back when I'm not paying attention and really focusing on keeping my elbows in line with my wrists seems to do the trick...and it turns the movement into something completely different than I was doing before.

Jonah
12-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Everything he said. Did the bar into the palm of your hands...deep. Grip the bar so tight your hands go from Purple to White, or purpler. Standard grip work, farmers, and if you can get a thick bar/axle that can help too but isn't necessary.

I use a suicide grip. I have seen horrible accidents with guys holding the bar regular grip also. Do I recommend it, no, but it's not the devil either. As far as keeping straight wrists, you could learn like our training partner Josh. He fractured his forearm in a meet while benching. To his credit he has come back and he benches with his wrists completely straight now. Fear is a great motivator.

I should just put a pic of my scar as my avatar :p

Suicide grip will actually exaggerate the weakness. Vin's right on here.

ScottYard
12-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Its all in the wrap for the most part. keep most of the wrap 2 inches from the base of you hand.

robchris
12-29-2009, 06:25 PM
36" APT convicts, should take care of your wrist problem... Wrap up high on the heel of the hand like Scott stated and get em' as tight as you can stand it... Hands should be tingling!

SEOINAGE
12-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I was having some problems with my wrists last heavy bench I did a week and a half ago, did some fat bar curls by rolling a little thin mat around the bar last week, and then today wrapped my wraps higher up on my hand and things worked out a lot better.