PDA

View Full Version : How to track macro's?

Yamar
08-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey all,

I am trying to follow a strict diet consisting of the following rules that I learned from the folks here:

Protein set at 1.5 gram per lb of lean body mass
Fat set at .5 gram per lb body weight
The rest is carbs to equal 20% over maintenance calories- currently trying to gain

I find myself spending hours on fitday.com planning my daily meals to fill out these macro's. I am tempted to just eat the same thing everyday to eliminate all the planning but I don't think that's to healthy.

How do you folks plan out your daily intake?

Thanks

cphafner
08-16-2009, 07:25 PM
The majority of what I eat is the same. Makes it easier for me.

I find thedailyplate.com easier to use than fitday.

AnotherNumber
08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I eat mostly the same things (Milk, eggs, tuna, chicken, bread, etc), eventually you will memorize the macros for the serving sizes, and planning meals becomes easier. The more you track macros, the easier estimating macros becomes for foods you cant read the labels and stuff on.

Joe Black
08-17-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi Yamar,

I can understand where you are coming from. I have found a pretty good middle ground which works for me.

My diet is the same quite a lot but I also have enough variation to avoid it becoming boring and to make it easy to ensure a stable daily calorie intake and to track things on fitday.

I eat five times a day - 3 of those meals are always the same , meals 1,2 and 4.

Meal 1 - 3 eggs (2 whole/1 white) and a pure fruit smoothly or a piece of fruit
Meal 2 - Novus Protein bar, 60g cashews and 4 fish oil capsules
Meal 4 - half cup low fat yoghurt, berries, 2 x Nitrean and 4 fish oil capsules

Super easy to make, calories stay the same and takes 2 mins to stick into fit day.

The my lunch (meal 3) and my evening meal (meal 5) are varied. I just buy a ton of meat and vegetables at the beginning of the week and make stuff up as I go along, still keeping things simple. I tend to have about 3 or 4 options for lunch and the same for my evening meal. Sometimes I might totally do something different, but for the most part it's pretty simular.

Lunch tends to be

a) beef stir fry
b) salmon and veggies
c) chicken and veggies
d) sirlion been/veggie skewers

Evening meal tends to be set recipes I like:

a) classy chicken (from precision nutrition, it's basically chicken, veggies, cocunut milk and then in the oven with cheese)
b) salmon and veggies
c) lamb stew/curry
d) mince stuff aubergines

If I am working out I put carbs in there too which is normally cocunut curry chickpeas (from precision nutrition) or vegetable brown rice or poatoes.

All those meals are easy to track on fitday and for those that have a fairly complex recipe I only have to put it into fitday once as a custom food and it;s easy to pick again.

Hope that helps!

Yamar
08-17-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi Yamar,

I can understand where you are coming from. I have found a pretty good middle ground which works for me.

My diet is the same quite a lot but I also have enough variation to avoid it becoming boring and to make it easy to ensure a stable daily calorie intake and to track things on fitday.

I eat five times a day - 3 of those meals are always the same , meals 1,2 and 4.

Meal 1 - 3 eggs (2 whole/1 white) and a pure fruit smoothly or a piece of fruit
Meal 2 - Novus Protein bar, 60g cashews and 4 fish oil capsules
Meal 4 - half cup low fat yoghurt, berries, 2 x Nitrean and 4 fish oil capsules

Super easy to make, calories stay the same and takes 2 mins to stick into fit day.

The my lunch (meal 3) and my evening meal (meal 5) are varied. I just buy a ton of meat and vegetables at the beginning of the week and make stuff up as I go along, still keeping things simple. I tend to have about 3 or 4 options for lunch and the same for my evening meal. Sometimes I might totally do something different, but for the most part it's pretty simular.

Lunch tends to be

a) beef stir fry
b) salmon and veggies
c) chicken and veggies
d) sirlion been/veggie skewers

Evening meal tends to be set recipes I like:

a) classy chicken (from precision nutrition, it's basically chicken, veggies, cocunut milk and then in the oven with cheese)
b) salmon and veggies
c) lamb stew/curry
d) mince stuff aubergines

If I am working out I put carbs in there too which is normally cocunut curry chickpeas (from precision nutrition) or vegetable brown rice or poatoes.

All those meals are easy to track on fitday and for those that have a fairly complex recipe I only have to put it into fitday once as a custom food and it;s easy to pick again.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, this seems to be something I can adapt to. Keeping some meals constant and a few varity meals to fill out the day.

I have 2 questions:

1) You eat the same on training vs non training days? My thought was to eat higher cal/carbs on training days and lower cal/carb on non training days.

2) Do you find 5 meals efficient? I was always under the impression you need to ingest protein slowly throughout the day, like 35 grams per meal. For me to get 190 grams this would break out to 6 meals per day.

Thanks

malkore
08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
1. if you're bulking, keep your macro ratios and calories consistent, training day or not. If you're trying to cut, then carb cycling (while keeping total calories consistent) is effective for a lotta people. Low carbs on cardio/rest days, moderate carbs on weight training days.

2. I get hungry easily, so I like 6 meals, sometimes even a small 7th meal.

pro body builders also tend to eat the same meals day in, day out. What you get good at is changing the seasonings used, and the veggies. i.e. the brown rice is a staple, but alternating between beef, chicken, fish, shrimp (etc) and rotating the veggies makes it not nearly as monotonous.
Then you' don't have to constantly use fitday...you can just do periodic 'checkups'...especially if you're swapping between diets (bulk vs cut).

that's how i do my 'to go' meals for work...simple. dinner after work is often a little more elaborate (thanks to my wife) yet still healthy. breakfast is always eggs. and then the protein shakes and fruit help break up the two rice/veggie/meat meals I eat at work.

it also helps to keep telling yourself "food is just fuel....food is just fuel"...

Joe Black
08-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Thanks, this seems to be something I can adapt to. Keeping some meals constant and a few varity meals to fill out the day.

I have 2 questions:

1) You eat the same on training vs non training days? My thought was to eat higher cal/carbs on training days and lower cal/carb on non training days.

I do have more calories on training days, yes. My diet is exactly the same apart from I have a post workout shake (1 serving of Opticen (http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=2)) immediately after my workout and I also have some good carbs with a meal about 1-2 hours afterwards. It normally ends up being about 2400 on non training days and 2800-2900 on training days.

]
2) Do you find 5 meals efficient? I was always under the impression you need to ingest protein slowly throughout the day, like 35 grams per meal. For me to get 190 grams this would break out to 6 meals per day.

I think hitting your totals is far more important than timing and the difference between 5 and 6 is not worth worrying about. And for me, 5 meals is a good plan I can stick to 100% whereas 6 meals starts to get tougher and I would prefer to be 100% for 5 meals than keep slipping for 6.

Thanks