PDA

View Full Version : Push press Help

blackboard
08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
To make things simple lets say you can strict overhead press 200lb, how much more on average should you be push pressing? I ask because my strict press and press press equal about a 10lbs difference. I seen Tom Mutaffis Videos of him push pressing 340lb and was curious what his strict press was like. I also remember seeing him push jerk with the same technique I believe the only difference being the weight is 100% locked out at the top. That is on my wishlish.

I treat my strict standing press like most people treat the bench press. I have made good progress on the strict side but my push press worries me lol. My set up is pretty much the same way as Tom Mutaffis. How can I get more explosive on my push, just looking for advice like do I need to set up speed days sort of like the bench?

I don't compete but I mix my training with barrels, sandbags, stones, and the big 3 just like the old school guys. Thanks guys

Lones Green
08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't think there are any certain guidelines when it comes to strict press vs. push press.

If your push press sucks, maybe you need to fix it. Possibly weak lower body or bad form?

If you train strongman, and it looks like you do, knowing the push press form and training it is going to come in handy for sure.

You could post a video of a max strict press vs. a max push press and I'm sure Tom and many others would chime in and give you plenty of advice.

vdizenzo
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Push press uses more technique than a strict press. I strict press 405 and my push press might be less. I get totally screwed up when trying to use my legs. I do not have the timing and technique down.

slashkills
08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
push press is all about timing. Mess around with it and you will find what works for you. There is an article on wbb about strongman events, maybe there is something about push press/ over head pressing that may help.

Tom Mutaffis
08-17-2009, 05:38 PM
To make things simple lets say you can strict overhead press 200lb, how much more on average should you be push pressing? I ask because my strict press and press press equal about a 10lbs difference. I seen Tom Mutaffis Videos of him push pressing 340lb and was curious what his strict press was like. I also remember seeing him push jerk with the same technique I believe the only difference being the weight is 100% locked out at the top. That is on my wishlish.

I treat my strict standing press like most people treat the bench press. I have made good progress on the strict side but my push press worries me lol. My set up is pretty much the same way as Tom Mutaffis. How can I get more explosive on my push, just looking for advice like do I need to set up speed days sort of like the bench?

Hey Blackboard -

I would say that someone with a 200 lbs strict press should be able to push press 225-250 lbs once proper technique is learned. As others mentioned a lot of it has to do with setup and timing.

Building explosiveness on the push will take some practice, but here is what I would focus on:

- Develop a strong front squat and get used to having heavy weights racked on your shoulders.
- Work on overhead stability (hold lockouts for time, etc.)
- For pressing I would do a lot of heavy incline bench and close grip work. Having strong triceps will give you the bar speed and lockout power that you will need for a good OHP.
- Practice technique; drive from your heels, elbows high, thumbless grip, head through, etc.

Equipment is also a factor for overhead press. You want to have a shirt that is dry, not layered, and has good traction. For shoes generally flat sole shoes or olympic weightlifting shoes will give you the most stability.

If you could take a video of your pressing that might be the best way to critique your form and find areas for improvement.

Hope this helps...

blackboard
08-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey Blackboard -

I would say that someone with a 200 lbs strict press should be able to push press 225-250 lbs once proper technique is learned. As others mentioned a lot of it has to do with setup and timing.

Building explosiveness on the push will take some practice, but here is what I would focus on:

- Develop a strong front squat and get used to having heavy weights racked on your shoulders.
- Work on overhead stability (hold lockouts for time, etc.)
- For pressing I would do a lot of heavy incline bench and close grip work. Having strong triceps will give you the bar speed and lockout power that you will need for a good OHP.
- Practice technique; drive from your heels, elbows high, thumbless grip, head through, etc.

Equipment is also a factor for overhead press. You want to have a shirt that is dry, not layered, and has good traction. For shoes generally flat sole shoes or olympic weightlifting shoes will give you the most stability.

If you could take a video of your pressing that might be the best way to critique your form and find areas for improvement.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the advice, I will include everything you said into my training.