PDA

View Full Version : Is it Strength, Size/Mass, Technique? AAAAHHH

Andre518
08-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Ok this is the end of my 4th wave of 5/3/1. Things have been gong well but my bench seems to be really coming down. Before I started this routine I weighted 273lbs and my 1MR for bench was 345lbs. Well it seems like my bench is getting a lot lower now. Today I struggled with 310. I think it is a good 80% form problem. But maybe I am wrong and it is due to my current down size. I now weigh 240lbs 33lbs less than the last time I tested my max. I really good guy at my gym has been helping me a lot and has really help my technique and strength in a lot of my lifting. He use to train train football teams and track n field members. He tells me my biggest problem is when the weight gets heavy I fall out of form and start pressing towards my stomach instead of my head. I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips on improving my bench. I have my meet in Nov and was looking to at least pull a 350lbs on bench but right now things do not look good.

245 x 5
iubslLAFzH0

275 x 3
jDn994kbc70

310 x 1 (barley)
4iuVQ4bBT1A

slashkills
08-18-2009, 11:13 AM
the main thing i seen was when you unrack you lose all of your tightness in your upper back. When your setting up keep your shoulder blades pinched together. It may be hard to do keep them tight because of the rack. A hand off will help some.

BigTallOx
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
He tells me my biggest problem is when the weight gets heavy I fall out of form

To me, it doesn't look like your form changes very much with weight.

Travis Bell
08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Didn't you start a thread on this not too long ago asking the same thing?

You've lost 33lbs. Your bench is going to go down some.

You also most likely aren't taking that into account and trying to use percentages based off your previous max (325) and not your current max.

Your technique isn't terrible, but I'd certainly start throwing in more upper back work to help with the ability to stabilize that wobbling.

Andre518
08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah I did ask a while back but I thought now that I had some video footage you guys be able to help me out more. Letting me know if it is something with my form. Thanks for the help guys I will work on staying tight and shoulders pinched.

Travis do you have any suggestions on good upper back assist work to help with stabilizing?

Travis Bell
08-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah I did ask a while back but I thought now that I had some video footage you guys be able to help me out more. Letting me know if it is something with my form. Thanks for the help guys I will work on staying tight and shoulders pinched.

Travis do you have any suggestions on good upper back assist work to help with stabilizing?

I really like DB rows and close grip pulldowns. They seem to help me a lot.

Have you gone back since the weight loss and the new maxes and reset your percentages for the 531? or are you still going off your old percentages?

mchicia1
08-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I am no power lifting expert but ever since I have been putting my toes on the ground instead of my heels, I have been getting MUCH more leg drive and thus have been PRing every week. Putting my toes on the ground allows me to increase my arch as well and I feel much more quad and calf in the lift as opposed to when my heels are on the ground. You may be able to get a more stable arch. My last max was 280 but I would imagine I can do 290+ now with the form change.

sayagain
08-18-2009, 01:08 PM
In addition to both DB and Barbell rows, I like face pulls for upper back strength.

Andre518
08-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I really like DB rows and close grip pulldowns. They seem to help me a lot.

Have you gone back since the weight loss and the new maxes and reset your percentages for the 531? or are you still going off your old percentages?

Yeah I have been going off my last max out @ 273 my squat is doing well and my deadlift is going through the roof but my bench is off. This month i changed my assist work from the big but boring to 5 x 10 set up that hits different corresponding muscles each work out. example today was bench I did bench 5/3/1 assist work DB Bench lat pull downs dips all 5 x 15 and then back to the bench for a light 5 x 5 to work on form. I do, do DB Rows every other week also.

vdizenzo
08-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Yes, your form is bad. I am not going to give any because there are enough vids and threads that show form all over this forum. However, I will say this, your setup was entirely different for your first vid than your last. Why is that?