PDA

View Full Version : Diet Critique.. too much fat?

solUTions08
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Just like the title says - this is/will be a typical day, and the split seems a little off to me. Is this too much fat?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/inyth101/Picture1.png

4024 calories, 193.1g fat (42%), 286.2g carbs (28%), 301.8g protein (30%)

Clifford Gillmore
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
You could drop the peanuts down 1 oz, lowering your fat by around 29g (261 cals). That would still make your fat around 36%.

What are your goals here? Are you bulking or cutting? I can't seem to tell on these cals/macros, 4000k's is too much to be cutting with, but your macros are for cutting. Whats up?

WBBIRL
08-19-2009, 12:13 AM
So I'm going to guess that your eating a sandwich pretty regularly?

Rather then a sandwich why not a salad? Just as easy to make and transport, requiring only that you take a plastic fork with you to eat it.

Your fats could be a bit high but fats are very satiable and if they're not saturated fats they're ok. You could cut the carbs down a bit though, don't need that many.... although some of them are complex carbs and thats a good thing.

Try to knock out any simple carbs (white bread, sugar, pasta) and replace with more protein. As risk said your macro's are set up for a pretty decent maintaince to a slight cut but your calories are too high to be cutting.

What exactly are you looking to do though?

Joe Black
08-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Agree with the others, what's your goal?

At 4000 calories, I'm going to guess gaining weight in which case I would get your carbs up a little and reduce fat too and that should even things out.

Be interesting to know where you are at now though and what your goals are with this diet.

solUTions08
08-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Sorry guys, I probably should of posted the goals when I asked the original question. I'm sitting at about 165lbs at 6' tall, and have just yesterday started BGB w/ a 4k calorie diet (this is day two). So, that picture is what I ate yesterday to get to the 4k mark. My goal is to add weight - I'd love to weigh 185ish when all the bulking/cutting is said and done, but I want to remain lean and cut (at least in the end). My metabolism is incredible, and I've always been very thin even while eating nothing but crap for the better part of my life. So, adding lean-ish weight is the key - and lots of it!

Since no one can really tell if I'm trying to bulk/cut, I'd say I'm doing something wrong. I thought I'd done enough reading around to appropriately plan and put into action a diet like this, but I suppose not. Here's what my daily meals looked like on this:

Breakfast:

5 eggs, scrambled with two slices of cheese, a banana, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and a cup of 2% milk.

Lunch:

Two slices of rye bread, teaspoon of mustard, two slices of cheese, and ten slices of turkey (potentially roast beef/ham to change it up at some points?). 6-7oz of raw baby carrots (probably switch between this and raw broccoli in the future) and 2-3 tablespoons of ranch dip to wash it down, water to drink.

Snack (at some point, not necessarily at this point in the day):

A few oz's of peanuts as of now, but have some cottage cheese/pineapple chunks or tuna and triscuts to mix it up with.

PreWO:

Quaker instant oatmeal, banana, and a 24g protein shake.

PostWO:

24g protein shake (I know I probably need some dextrose to go with this and possibly some creatine, but I'm really not sure how/where to buy dextrose)

Dinner:

1.5 cups of black beans, 2 cups of green beans, 1 and a half large chicken breasts (cooked in the oven.. whatever you call that. I'm a college kid, give me a break!) and a serving of brown rice.

On top of this, I drink at least a gallon of water daily.

Hope this helps! Thanks for everything so far & in advance for any future assistance, guys.

solUTions08
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Still getting a ton of fat in my diet, I feel like - definitely a larger percent than carbs and protein. :( Any help is greatly appreciated!

thereturn
08-20-2009, 11:22 PM
you're on a similar intake to me, you should be trying to get fats down to around 110g a day, cutting the peanuts in favour of a couple of small cans of tuna will help

Holto
08-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Since no one can really tell if I'm trying to bulk/cut, I'd say I'm doing something wrong.

Not at all dude, your diet looks fine. We weren't sure if you were bulking or cutting because we didn't know your stats.

4K cals is a cut for a 300lb'der, or a bulk for a 165'er. Keep this up for 4 weeks and report back.

you should be trying to get fats down to around 110g a day

Why?

cutting the peanuts in favour of a couple of small cans of tuna will help

He's a 165lb athlete already getting 300g's of protein. I can't see any reason to increase it.

Clifford Gillmore
08-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Its alot of protein for a 165'er. If it were me, I'd take it a little less to allow for more carb's. HOWEVER, your still going to grow eating like that, so keep going for a month and tell us what happens!

jAy_Dub
08-23-2009, 03:11 PM
My suggestions are in bold but I think this looks pretty solid for the most part.

Sorry guys, I probably should of posted the goals when I asked the original question. I'm sitting at about 165lbs at 6' tall, and have just yesterday started BGB w/ a 4k calorie diet (this is day two). So, that picture is what I ate yesterday to get to the 4k mark. My goal is to add weight - I'd love to weigh 185ish when all the bulking/cutting is said and done, but I want to remain lean and cut (at least in the end). My metabolism is incredible, and I've always been very thin even while eating nothing but crap for the better part of my life. So, adding lean-ish weight is the key - and lots of it!

Since no one can really tell if I'm trying to bulk/cut, I'd say I'm doing something wrong. I thought I'd done enough reading around to appropriately plan and put into action a diet like this, but I suppose not. Here's what my daily meals looked like on this:

Breakfast:

5 eggs, scrambled with two slices of cheese, a banana, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and a cup of 2% milk.

If you think you're too high on the fats then this would be a good place to cut some out. 5 eggs has 20 grams of fat alone. Cut out the cheese and peanut butter.

Lunch:

Two slices of rye bread, teaspoon of mustard, two slices of cheese, and ten slices of turkey (potentially roast beef/ham to change it up at some points?). 6-7oz of raw baby carrots (probably switch between this and raw broccoli in the future) and 2-3 tablespoons of ranch dip to wash it down, water to drink.

Snack (at some point, not necessarily at this point in the day):

A few oz's of peanuts as of now, but have some cottage cheese/pineapple chunks or tuna and triscuts to mix it up with.

PreWO:

Quaker instant oatmeal, banana, and a 24g protein shake.

PostWO:

24g protein shake (I know I probably need some dextrose to go with this and possibly some creatine, but I'm really not sure how/where to buy dextrose)

Get waxy maize instead of dextrose. Lots of places have it, check out trueprotein.com or bulknutrition.com.

Dinner:

1.5 cups of black beans, 2 cups of green beans, 1 and a half large chicken breasts (cooked in the oven.. whatever you call that. I'm a college kid, give me a break!) and a serving of brown rice.

On top of this, I drink at least a gallon of water daily.

Hope this helps! Thanks for everything so far & in advance for any future assistance, guys.