PDA

View Full Version : Speed Bench off boards?

NickAus
08-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Anyone do Speed bench off boards?
1, 2 or 3 board for saving the shoulders while working the lock-out/ speed?
Thank you very much.

MarcusWild
08-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I'll use a 1-bd or foam sometimes. It does save on the shoulders.

NickAus
08-19-2009, 09:54 PM
I'll use a 1-bd or foam sometimes. It does save on the shoulders.

Yeah I like to do the same, I know Rob likes doing speed off the 3 board with to save the shoulders-I don't really know of anyone else though.

Clifford Gillmore
08-20-2009, 01:06 AM
I use foam to teach me to teach me to go faster, a one board could do the same.

icedutah
08-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Next week I'll start using the rolled up piece of carpet that I use for carpet presses. I have one that's about 5" and one that's about 3". I'll use the shorter one for speed benching.

Pete22
08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I've used a 1-board in the past when my shoulders and pecs were feeling a bit beat up. Carpet or foam would be good to throw in occasionally as well.

vdizenzo
08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Why not work the bottom of the lift? With all of these specialized lifts it's no wonder a lot of powerlifters do not look muscular.

Priest
08-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Never did explosive speed work to a board.
I use that day to get speed off of the chest.

NickAus
08-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Why not work the bottom of the lift? With all of these specialized lifts it's no wonder a lot of powerlifters do not look muscular.

Do you look muscular Vinnie? Are you in any magazines?
Just playing, I just want to still train speed with-out hurting my shoulder which is not 100% at the moment.
Do you think I will still get a good training effect this way?
Thanks.

Reko
08-20-2009, 05:38 PM
If its not 100% are you sure you should be doing speed work at all? How bad is it?

Travis Bell
08-20-2009, 05:40 PM

I totally agree.

I've never used boards or foam for benching.

I guess if you had to for a couple weeks, that'd be fine, but really work on getting back to full range as soon as possible. You need to train your muscles to move the weight the same distance you'll move it at a meet.

NickAus
08-20-2009, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=Reko;2195995]If its not 100% are you sure you should be doing speed work at all? How bad is it?[/QUOTE

I really only notice it if I go any lower than a 1 board raw, other wise it is pretty good.
Thanks.

NickAus
08-20-2009, 05:44 PM
I totally agree.

I've never used boards or foam for benching.

I guess if you had to for a couple weeks, that'd be fine, but really work on getting back to full range as soon as possible. You need to train your muscles to move the weight the same distance you'll move it at a meet.

Ok thank you Travis.
I will do it off a 1 board for a couple more weeks then go to chest and not do anything balistic.

NickAus
08-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your help!

robchris
08-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Nick,
I always go full ROM on speed day... Bear in mind you should only be using 55% of your current 1RM (raw) Get that shoulder checked or take a little time off, if you're having trouble tolerating the pain w/ that amount of weight

good luck,
RC

NickAus
08-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Nick,
I always go full ROM on speed day... Bear in mind you should only be using 55% of your current 1RM (raw) Get that shoulder checked or take a little time off, if you're having trouble tolerating the pain w/ that amount of weight

good luck,
RC

Thanks Rob, yeah I am only using minis + 135 at the moment-best raw bench is 350 touch and go.
Will do speed off 1 board then back to full range as soon as I can.

vdizenzo
08-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Do you look muscular Vinnie? Are you in any magazines?
Just playing, I just want to still train speed with-out hurting my shoulder which is not 100% at the moment.
Do you think I will still get a good training effect this way?
Thanks.

You said saving shoulders in your first post. I did not take that as you having an injured shoulder. With the injured shoulder I can understand using the board somewhat. However, I would focus on getting the shoulder right first and foremost.

I know I am not ripped by any means, but I am definitely carrying a fair amount of muscle mass. There's no doubt when people see me that I lift weights. There's no doubt I lift lots of burgers and pizza also.

chris mason
08-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Remember why DE day was created in the Westside template. It was created for lifters (most people) who could not tolerate 2 ME workouts for a given body part per week.

Speed work off boards will not do much for your lifting. It won't do much for anything in my opinion.

Find another way to train around your shoulder issue for now. Try skipping barbell work for a few weeks and just stick with 15-20 rep sets of dumbbell presses.

NickAus
08-20-2009, 08:19 PM
The thing is it only hurts when I go below 1 board height raw.
I can do everything else with no shoulder pain.
Should have been more clear I know.

Rob Luyando
08-21-2009, 05:53 AM
My 2 cents

Board work should be utilized to work your weak points of your lift. Now if you check out my training logs you will see that the majority of my speed work is done off a two or three brd. That is where my speed is the slowest so thats where I concentrate on. Full rage work is ok when needed but I do enough work to keep my muscular appearance and yes I have been in magazines.

vdizenzo
08-21-2009, 09:03 AM
My 2 cents

Board work should be utilized to work your weak points of your lift. Now if you check out my training logs you will see that the majority of my speed work is done off a two or three brd. That is where my speed is the slowest so thats where I concentrate on. Full rage work is ok when needed but I do enough work to keep my muscular appearance and yes I have been in magazines.

You must admit, your bench is just about as different as any I have ever seen. Not to leave out, very impressive. Also, you continue to do a fair amount of full range work and clearly you have a very solid background in training. Do you kind of get what I'm saying about about some powerlifters not looking like they really lift? I think people are turning to specialized training too early. The lack of muscular development and proper technique will bite them in the ass in the long run.

bencher8
08-21-2009, 02:35 PM
vinnie, what do you mean Robs bench looks different than others you have seen? Just wondering what you mean specifically...

I agree that specialized training is utilized too early, but I think it CAN be used early. The problem IMO, is that it is used too OFTEN. A good mixture of specialized lifts and good,old fashioned full range training can be a good program. The problem is that a lot of lifters have no idea how to set up a smart training program and dont have anybody to show them...

NickAus
08-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Yeah I really do need to continue building my base that's for sure.
What I'll do is use a 1 board for 2 weeks then go full range.
I'm pleased I asked the question, really appreciate getting advice from everyone.
Thanks!

Rob Luyando
08-22-2009, 06:35 AM
I do agree with Vincent that you have to pay your dues with all your core work before you switch to the advanced techniques. I made my current training partner train with me for a year all raw work before I would even let him try a shirt. It has helped him out tremendously.

And I am curious how is my benching any different then others? I cheat just as much as the next guy and use my God gifted Boiler?

bencher8
08-22-2009, 12:07 PM
god gifted boiler? I think that thing is totally man made! made by sloppy gene's awesome omelete lol

NickAus
10-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Just letting you I have been doing full range speed, great to be able to go full range again I just keep my grip in to pinkies on rings.

My speed is better than ever now that my leg drive is far better.

Ben Brizendine
10-22-2009, 10:59 AM
I like speed work and do more board work than most. But I wouldnt do speed work off the bd's. If your working on a shoulder issue, Nick then cut out the speed work untill its feeling better. Like I said I use bd's allot. I would recomend running a board cycle on your heavy day for the next 4 weeks. This way you will still be able to train your CNS for the next month, you will only go full range on the 5th week so you will have time to heal also.

Start with a 4bd this week and do all your work off that. Then next week drop to a 3bd..... see what I mean? This way you keep the joint safe with a limited range of motion and you will still make gains.

NickAus
10-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I like speed work and do more board work than most. But I wouldnt do speed work off the bd's. If your working on a shoulder issue, Nick then cut out the speed work untill its feeling better. Like I said I use bd's allot. I would recomend running a board cycle on your heavy day for the next 4 weeks. This way you will still be able to train your CNS for the next month, you will only go full range on the 5th week so you will have time to heal also.

Start with a 4bd this week and do all your work off that. Then next week drop to a 3bd..... see what I mean? This way you keep the joint safe with a limited range of motion and you will still make gains.

Thank you very much Ben, I don't know how but my shoulder is better now.

I have been mainly doing boards to help heal up.

Like I said I don't know how other than the rest I've given it but I did speed full range with no pain and was nice and fast.