PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pain from benching

slashkills
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Ive been getting some wrist pain after benching for the past month. Anytime i lift anything over roughly 70% of my max they start to hurt. I video taped my benching yesterday and my wrists are inline with my forearm so thats not it. I also BMX a lot and that is taxing on my wrists and forearms. I dont want to give that up though. Any recovery tips/tricks?

Ryano
08-20-2009, 12:43 PM
As long as your bench form is good and you are wearing tight wristwraps, I'd guess it's the BMX hurting your wrists and the benching is just aggravating it. Maybe take a break from the bike 3-4 days and ice them alot.

vdizenzo
08-20-2009, 01:42 PM
You are just beating them up too much. You are going to have to strengthen them and constantly try to rehab them with ice. Otherwise you need to cut back on some of the activity. The body can only handle so much unless you are willing to go above and beyond to compensate.

Priest
08-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Take some time off. Or lower the weight and use wrist wraps(if your not already).
Vinny is right. You gotta strengthen them.

slashkills
08-20-2009, 04:13 PM
As long as your bench form is good and you are wearing tight wristwraps, I'd guess it's the BMX hurting your wrists and the benching is just aggravating it. Maybe take a break from the bike 3-4 days and ice them alot.

School starts soon so my biking time will greatly be reduced.

You are just beating them up too much. You are going to have to strengthen them and constantly try to rehab them with ice. Otherwise you need to cut back on some of the activity. The body can only handle so much unless you are willing to go above and beyond to compensate.

Above and beyond? Ill do what ever unless its roids. What can i do to strengthen them? wrist rollers and curls?

Take some time off. Or lower the weight and use wrist wraps(if your not already).
Vinny is right. You gotta strengthen them.

What kind of wraps. Will wraps for boxing work? Or are they to much. They are like 3-4' long. Which that reminds me im doing boxing now also during mma classes that really busts up my wrists.

Stew
08-20-2009, 06:08 PM
You're gonna have to pick your poison.

Boxing/mma and BMX are beating your wrists up. I wouldn't want to put a ton of faith in my wrists while benching if they're beat up, just asking for trouble.

Wrist wraps may help, no way to know until you try. I'm partial to APT because they have amazing service and fast shipping.

APT Wrist Straps (www.prowriststraps.com)

Compensation is going to have a range of options:
Prehab: Wrist strengthening, wrist stretching, icing
Rehab: no idea beyond icing

And other methods. I have no clue what steroids would do for wrists other than possibly make recuperation happen at a faster rate.

vdizenzo
08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Above and beyond? Ill do what ever unless its roids. What can i do to strengthen them? wrist rollers and curls?

When I say above and beyond it means icing everyday, going to a pt, employing a strengthening and rehap program, massage, electric stim, etc. Do you research, go to a dr, what are you waiting for son. Things usually don't get better on their own. If they do, then they weren't ever a real problem to begin with.

slashkills
08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
alright thanks for the help guys. Ill order some wrist wraps and cut back on biking because i have to. Ill start icing more as well. Making it to the a PT or chiro will be difficult but if i get the chance ill definitely take it.

vdizenzo
08-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Check this thing out http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageFLEX-DFPGB.html It's one of the things I used when I was having issues with my wrists. I think the thing that helped most were cortisone shots, but I know some people are weird about them. I had mine done about 5 years ago a week before a competition. I have never had a problem since. The only thing that sucked was watching one and a half inch long needles being buried into my wrists. Freaky.

Rob Luyando
08-21-2009, 05:56 AM
You need to do a lot more strengthening exercises and like Vin said Ice all the time. Massage or ART will help some but the key will be strengthening your weak points

slashkills
08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Check this thing out http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageFLEX-DFPGB.html It's one of the things I used when I was having issues with my wrists. I think the thing that helped most were cortisone shots, but I know some people are weird about them. I had mine done about 5 years ago a week before a competition. I have never had a problem since. The only thing that sucked was watching one and a half inch long needles being buried into my wrists. Freaky.

Thanks for the link

You need to do a lot more strengthening exercises and like Vin said Ice all the time. Massage or ART will help some but the key will be strengthening your weak points

like what?

Reko
08-21-2009, 11:10 AM
search this forum, there were 2 or 3 recent threads about this very topic actually.

rabiddog
08-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Im looking into getting some of the APT wraps, probably the convict pro maroon with black stripes. Anyone have a preference on length? I was thinking the 24 inch, but might go with the 36 inch. I have pain where the thumb comes down into the wrist.

Ryano
08-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Go with the 36" wraps. They're more of a pain to get on, but give you more support. I recently switched from 24" to 36".