PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate milk post workout

LuNa
08-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok, i am severely confused. I am trying to learn as much about nutrition as i can and i came across the following:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html

It talks about how chocolate milk is a better alternative post workout than Surge.

Conclusions were:

Whey Protein Isolate is better than Whey Protein Hydrolysate when i thought it was the other way around.
There was no real difference between using Fructose, or High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), and dextrose. I though HFCS was the demon spawn and anyone should stay away from it.
There is more fat in chocolate milk but it is concluded that it might even be beneficial post workout. I thought you needed something fat free which is why i have been taking my whey protein with water.

It might be that i am just really behind on the latest research but i am trying to understand this. Could anyone elaborate on this?

Vince DelMonte
08-20-2009, 09:37 PM
There has been a lot of talk about chocolate post-workout and a number of studies that do back this up.

Have you considered fat-free chocolate milk? You could even mix some chocolate syrup (which is fat-free) with skim milk also.

It's the combination of milk protein and then the carbs from the chocolate that are really good here - so you could go with this option to reduce the fat content of commercially prepared chocolate milk.

I recently read a study on calcium and testosterone and it demonstrated that guys who were supplementing with calcium showed an increase in testosterone release compared to those who weren't (both groups were following the same training program).

Might be another reason to go with the chocolate milk.

mike mcgee
08-21-2009, 10:22 AM
It's the combination of milk protein and then the carbs from the chocolate that are really good here

I agree, Men's Health has suggested this as well. And since they picked Nitrean as the #1 Protein for Men, I am assuming we value the opinon of the magazine. Unfortunately I can not post a link, but if you search Chocolate Milk after a workout Men's Health, you'll see an exerpt stating that this topic was studied by the University of Washington.

Holto
08-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Conclusions were:
[LIST]
Whey Protein Isolate is better than Whey Protein Hydrolysate when i thought it was the other way around.

I'm really surprised by the findings here, I've always been of the mind that the types of whey were equivalent.

There was no real difference between using Fructose, or High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), and dextrose. I though HFCS was the demon spawn and anyone should stay away from it.

Something to note here: It takes 24-48hrs to replenish glycogen, so I'm not surprised that there was no real difference given that they're measuring at 4-6-8hr marks. This whole 'ram your glycogen stores' with the latest pixie powder is just another product being sold to us by the fitness industry.

There is more fat in chocolate milk but it is concluded that it might even be beneficial post workout. I thought you needed something fat free which is why i have been taking my whey protein with water.

The whole logic of avoiding fat post workout is because it delays gastric emptying. The reality of it is, it takes two days to replenish glycogen and even longer to repair the tissue, your body doesn't get the jump on recovery the way we'd like to, regardless of what we do post workout.

LuNa
08-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Great post. That clears things up a bit for me. Thanks!

jfly09
08-26-2009, 02:23 AM
wouldn't the casein within the milk delay digestion anyways????

Daniel Roberts
08-26-2009, 02:34 AM

Not really, your post-workout drink of choice is unlikely to be your first meal of the day, in which case there'll still be the legacy of previously ingested meals - digestion really doesn't happen that quickly.

jp2
08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
I love chocholate syrup with fat free milk, you can even throw in some Nitrean.....yum

Holto
08-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Yes, much the way fat does, by delaying gastric emptying (stomach to jejunum). This won't impact your gains though.

The whole need for speed thing is a classic case of fear and consumption. We're afraid that the nutrients won't reach our muscles fast enough so we go buy the latest overpriced post workout koolaid.