PDA

View Full Version : Squats and Milk

SEOINAGE
08-21-2009, 12:31 AM
What do you guys think about taking a break from a westside routine for 6 weeks to do this? Those familiar with this you add 5 lbs to the squat each exercise and do the routine 3 times a week, not to mention the squats are done with a weight you can do 10 reps. Would one lose a lot of strength coming from a powerlifting routine?

Behind-the-Neck Press: 3x12
Squat: 1x20
Pull-Overs: 1x20
Bench Press: 3x12
Bent-over Rows: 3x15
Stiff-legged Deadlift: 1x15
Pull-overs: 1x20

backseatwitme13
08-21-2009, 12:43 AM
what does this have to do with milk? anyways you want to do 20 rep squats 3 times a week? you probably would lose some strength. you'd be better off just taking a week of than doing that.

SEOINAGE
08-21-2009, 01:25 AM
I should probably post a link to the whole thing but I'm supposed to be sleeping. Someone on another forum is doing it, just was curious how bad people think one would lose strength on it. Anyways you eat a lot and drink a gallon of whole milk a day, that combined witht he increase hormones released from the squats is supposed to really make you grow as a natural lifter. Squats are the primary emphasis, the others are to provide muscle stimulation. I thought about doing a set of 20 rep squats after my Dynamic and ME exercises and not chaning my routine, but I dunno if it would be worth it.

LuNa
08-21-2009, 01:33 AM
I should probably post a link to the whole thing but I'm supposed to be sleeping. Someone on another forum is doing it, just was curious how bad people think one would lose strength on it. Anyways you eat a lot and drink a gallon of whole milk a day, that combined witht he increase hormones released from the squats is supposed to really make you grow as a natural lifter. Squats are the primary emphasis, the others are to provide muscle stimulation. I thought about doing a set of 20 rep squats after my Dynamic and ME exercises and not chaning my routine, but I dunno if it would be worth it.

Are you sure this person is not just doing Starting Strength combined with the GOMAD (Gallon Of Milk A Day) diet?

jp2
08-21-2009, 02:53 AM
what does this have to do with milk?

drink milk after squats, wake up next day swole

Alyion
08-21-2009, 02:59 AM
The whole point behind the routine is to give a massive shock to the system, you do 20 reps with a weight you can normally only do 10 with. Now the math wizzies amongst you will realise that it can't really be done without some massive effort and recovery, hence the idea behind the gallon of milk.

Its a solid routine for building strength and mass but really can only be done if you can spare the time and to basically purely eat and sleep and lift and nothing else

Hazerboy
08-21-2009, 03:09 AM
I've done the routine. What are your goals? Whats your current weight, and your big 3 numbers?

Off Road
08-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Peary Rader :thumbup:

SEOINAGE
08-21-2009, 05:22 PM
I've done the routine. What are your goals? Whats your current weight, and your big 3 numbers?

I weigh 208, I want my raw bench to be 400 squat and deadlift 600. As well as I need some more muscle mass. Eventually I want to start competing geared, just not sure which federation and gear to get first.

Current raw squat is 415. Best deadlift off the floor is 425 but can rack pull just under 500.

Not sure on best raw bench haven't done it in forever but guessing just over 300, I can reverse band bench 420 with the green bands. I also have a RTC impingement and do regular exercises for it to keep my shoulders good enough to lift heavy.

Hazerboy
08-21-2009, 10:27 PM
I weigh 208, I want my raw bench to be 400 squat and deadlift 600. As well as I need some more muscle mass. Eventually I want to start competing geared, just not sure which federation and gear to get first.

Current raw squat is 415. Best deadlift off the floor is 425 but can rack pull just under 500.

Not sure on best raw bench haven't done it in forever but guessing just over 300, I can reverse band bench 420 with the green bands. I also have a RTC impingement and do regular exercises for it to keep my shoulders good enough to lift heavy.

If you're looking at putting on some serious mass in a short amount of time, yeah it will work. Its definitely not something you want to do year round, but it will sure enough work for short time periods (<12 weeks? )

I do not envy you though, it is a brutal program.

If your numbers are going up and you're putting on mass, I highly doubt you will lose strength. The basis of the program btw is the 20 rep squats (remember to warmup before them though). Everything you do afterwards is up to you

ZenMonkey
08-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I believe it is a 6 week program designed to make use of the HGH secreted from the high rep squats and the growth hormone found in whole milk. It also provides 2500 calories of fatty, carb rich, protein chocked goodness. I believe it is also a 6 week program.

20 Rep routines
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats

GOMAD:
Scroll about 2/3 of the way down:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Nutrition,_Supplements_and_Cardio

Ive done a few cycles of these and have to say I got the best results while taking ETS and RESULTS. Altogether it is a solid combination.

tk90
08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
for the last few days, and I have been blogging about my workouts on
squatmilk.blogspot.com

So if you all are interested than go there and keep track of what i do

tk90
08-23-2009, 11:29 PM
oops..i can't post links so just copy paste the url

SEOINAGE
08-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Cool thanks, I will follow up on that and see how you are doing. I'm sure it is a brutal program, but possibly very beneficial, just not sure from a powerlifting stand point if taking 6 weeks off of heavy lifting would be worth it or if I should modify it to keep my ME and dynamic training in there.

KarlMarx
08-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Peary Rader :thumbup:

Yep. Super Squats.