PDA

View Full Version : 15# plus cut for a meet

blownby
08-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Those of you that do or have cut 15+ pounds for a meet....how did you do it?

Was it a crash diet for a week or two and then sweat the rest?
Was it a slow diet a few weeks then crash for a day or two then sweat the rest?

How did you go about it? Also the pre weight & weight you need to attain for the meet in the post please.

MarcusWild
08-21-2009, 12:15 PM
I've cut from 238ish to 220.5 a few times. I water and sodium load for 2 days. During that, I start the digestive bulk clearing diet of fish, yams, oats, whey, and eggs. Then I water load while cutting sodium. It's easy to cut sodium on that diet since it's natural foods. About 20 hours out I was around 231, then I cut food and water. The first 8 lbs go really fast. The last couple I use sour candy and spit, a sauna, or whatever is needed.

Now I just cut 250 to 242. I can do that by skipping dinner and cutting water the night before.

JSully
08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Kroc wrote up how he did his cut from 255 to 220.8 on Elitefts..

crash dieting will crash your strength too.. unless you've got time to carbup before the meet, but then, you're still iffy as to what you're going to hit because you may not reach full glycogen recompensation and may be mildly dehydrated..
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kroc_meet_report.htm

Built also did a write-up on water/sodium manipulation:::
http://web.archive.org/web/20070222013152/http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=288

vdizenzo
08-21-2009, 01:33 PM
To cut for Friday:

Monday and Tuesday 2 gallons of water a day and sodium load

Wednesday 1 gallon of water and cut sodium

Thursday no fluids no food and keep activity to a minimum if you can.

Friday weigh in. Make sure to drink and eat every half an hour until weight is back on. You'll need to replenish with at least 2 gallons of fluid. I use a mix of half gatorade half water. Straight Gatorade has too much sugar for these purposes.

blownby
08-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I've cut from 238ish to 220.5 a few times. I water and sodium load for 2 days. During that, I start the digestive bulk clearing diet of fish, yams, oats, whey, and eggs. Then I water load while cutting sodium. It's easy to cut sodium on that diet since it's natural foods. About 20 hours out I was around 231, then I cut food and water. The first 8 lbs go really fast. The last couple I use sour candy and spit, a sauna, or whatever is needed.

Now I just cut 250 to 242. I can do that by skipping dinner and cutting water the night before.

So do you start this just a few days out form meet?

Alos when you sodium load, do you just add salt to food or actual sodium pills??

blownby
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Kroc wrote up how he did his cut from 255 to 220.8 on Elitefts..

crash dieting will crash your strength too.. unless you've got time to carbup before the meet, but then, you're still iffy as to what you're going to hit because you may not reach full glycogen recompensation and may be mildly dehydrated..
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kroc_meet_report.htm

Built also did a write-up on water/sodium manipulation:::
http://web.archive.org/web/20070222013152/http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=288

I saw the elite article...Insane!!

also ur link isn't working.

Thanks,

Tom Mutaffis
08-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Below is something that I put together the other day; I will probably write an article on the topic at some point...

Here is a summary with some guidelines for a water manipulation program for the purpose of making weight for a strength sport event with a 24 hour weigh-in. Below I will post a more detailed and comprehensive breakdown with some examples.

You are going to start loading water on Monday if you are trying to make weight on Friday, starting distilled water on Wednesday. Generally you want to do 1.5 gallons Monday, 2 gallons Tuesday, 2.5 gallons Wednesday, and 2-3 gallons Thursday before cutting water. If you have fat burners (any kind) then start taking them on Wednesday or Thursday. Your food on Wednesday and Thursday should be mostly shakes and lean meat - so basically just protein, try to get in 1 gram per pound of bodyweight minimum. You also need to sleep at least 8-9 hours each night since this will be tough on your body. Use ZMA or melatonin if you can't sleep. Along with the water loading you are also going to load on salt on Monday/Tuesday and then cut the salt Tuesday night. Carbohydrates need to be low the entire time and cut out all dairy.

Your afternoon and night time weight will peak on this program but you will notice yourself losing about 5 lbs overnight. Once you cut water you'll lose about 10 lbs there... So if you're going to bed at 250 lbs then this program will put you at about 235 by itself. The last couple of pounds will be tough; I'm not going to lie to you. Milk of magnesia will completely empty your stomach and some guys will do that the last day before cutting water – but this should be saved for extreme cases only.

I wouldn't do any actual cardio but if you want you can walk on the treadmill at 2.5 mph for 25 minutes - I do this and it will help you to lose a little bit and keep you active.

Thursday is the big day. You need to drink so much water that your stomach looks pregnant and load on protein shakes (good ones, not crap). You probably won't even want to eat really at all and that is fine. Thursday start the day chugging water then cut at lunch. Begin the water pills in the morning Thursday or Wednesday night if you want. Thursday afternoon start the fat burners (these might make you go to the bathroom also, which is good) take first dose at 3 and second dose at 6. Sleep as much as you can and take more water pills before traveling. This will keep you going to the bathroom. You're going to feel drained but you should be close on the weight when you arrive. Flying does throw things off but you should stabilize and might have to sweat off a pound or two. Sleep as much as you can on the travel if you are flying or someone else is driving and use as little energy as you can during the cut.

Once you make weight get pedialite immediately and just rehydrate on 2-3 quarts of that for first hour. Then try some light solid foods or gatorade cut with water. Add in something salty like chex mix and even creatine if you normally use it. Try to take a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon then after that it's time to eat for real! Your body should be ready and this is the steak / pasta / etc.

This program will work, you'll be fine. The example program below from “Competitor B” is the most simple and easy to follow.

----------------------

Ok, here is the full “water manipulation handbook” that I have sent out to a couple of guys. Basically a compilation of information from myself and a couple of other competitors. All of whom have had some successful weight cuts for strongman competition of 10+ lbs within 24 hours. I will put it all into an article some time soon.

You should expect your night time weight to rise steadily when water loading, this is fine because it will flush quickly when you cut water as long as you are taking the right steps. What have you done so far? It is a little late to make drastic changes but today should be the day that you are drinking about 2-2.5 gallons of water. Distilled if you can do it.

As for foods – you will want to limit yourself to low carbohydrate, low sodium, calorie dense foods. This can include protein bars, natural peanut butter (or unsalted peanuts), and boiled chicken breasts. Definitely no dairy or simple carbs.

Start taking vitamin C right away if you are not already and you should pick up some taraxatone or an herbal diuretic to have on hand as well (start Thursday).

Below is some good info to read through. If you can get yourself within about 3-4 lbs by the morning of the weigh in I can help you to lose the last couple lbs. I know how to set up an effective sauna in a hotel bathroom. I’m not going to sit in there with you but can make sure that you drop the weight.

From Competitor A:

Here's how I made weight:
2 weeks before the meet I cleaned up my diet. Watched my carbs, limited fats, etc. I started drinking more water and salting my food heavily to get my body to get accustomed to flushing excess fluids.

Monday thru Friday took 5grams vitamin c to help flush water

Monday: increase water to 1.5 gallons distilled, cut all sodium, drank some mag sulfate to help rid intestinal bulk.....after the mag sulfate only ate dense and easily digestible foods for the rest of the week

Tuesday: increased to 2 gallons distilled. Lots of protein every 2hrs and less than 150g carbs all day.

Wednesday: 2 gallons distilled again, same as Tuesday but less carbs

Thursday: 2.5 gallons distilled by 4pm, only food was 3 meals of salmon and protein shakes + peanut butter. Started taking taraxatone (naturally diuretic)
cut food at 2pm and cut water at 4pm, weighed 249 after cutting water

Friday: only drank enough water to take vitamin c and taraxatone. Weighed 242lbs upon waking and lost a lb every couple hours. Weighed 239 at 5pm so i started hitting the sauna. Did 2 rounds of 10 min with a couple layers of clothes on, came back to the gym and was still 4lbs over. Came back to the sauna at 6:30 with another guy who had to make weight and we sat 2x for 15min each with piles of clothes on. Came back and was .2 lbs over but still had 20 min so i went out to my truck and turned the heat on full blast. Weighed in at exactly 231 and then Willie let me know i could have been 231.5.

Immediately drank 1 quart pedialyte and a carbo force. Drank too fast got sick to my stomach. Drank another 3 quarts +3 more carbo forces in the next 2 hrs. Then made a box of pasta with some meat sauce and salted the hell out of it. Ate the whole box of pasta and had another half gallon of water with it. Went to bed weight 248. Woke up and had more water and a huge breakfast and showed up at the contest weighing 253lbs

Some additional info from Competitor A:

You lose 100grms of weight every hour just from breathing out water and from metabolism of calories. So water restriction for 10hrs nets 1kg or 2.2 lbs, so 24hrs of that will net you 5lbs......that’s without any sweating at all.. on the drive there you can bundle up with a couple layers of clothes and turn on the heat and get another couple pounds. For now keep up with the distilled water, you'll weigh heavy every night from all the water loading but when you do eventually cut water you'll be amazed and how quickly your weight will drop as long as you keep taking the vit c and taraxatone... Good luck and make sure you have a cooler ready with all your water and pedialyte.

This is something that I wrote for a guy who was a few pounds over about 3-4 days out from weigh in also:

Low carb, high protein, 1.5 gallons today, 2 gallons tomorrow, 2.5 gallons distilled on Thursday and cut water Thursday night at about 8 PM. Start taking taraxatone thursday afternoon and take a bunch before bed. You'll probably be waking up to pee a lot, and if you have a dream about peeing it probably means that you are wetting the bed - so during the dream try to wake up and find a toilet / sink / bathtub / bucket.

Thursday's food intake should be virtually zero carbs, only carbs allowed are those in natural peanut butter (you still need calories and this is a good source), and whatever trace amounts are in your whey protein shakes (3-4 shakes that day). The water in the shakes counts toward your total for the day.

My numbers are based on an early evening weigh-in on Friday. Check your weight Thursday before bed and don't worry if you are 15 lbs over. Check again in the morning, no cardio or sauna. Check mid-day at lunch time and if you are more than 4-5 lbs over still then that means you will need to sweat a little bit. Considering it is pretty cold out you may want to do the drive down in warm clothes with the heat on in the car. If you are over when we get there then find a sauna and you can easily drop 3-4 lbs in 1/2 hour.

The objective to be as low for as little amount of time as possible. Staying low for hours / days is what zaps your strength.

As others said - Pedialite (walmart brand is half the price), gatorade powder (dextrose), and some isopure or other tasty protein shakes immediately after weigh-in. About an hour later you should be ready for a meal. Salt your food and drink as much water as you can but don't get crazy with forcing it down. Have some more shakes and gatorade later on and maybe some fruit like bananas. You should go to bed at about the same weight that you did the night before.

Next day make sure you force yourself to poop before you go to the contest. You don't want to drop one during the deadlift or anything.

Mental toughness - just think about victory and imagine yourself as a warrior who is on a conquest right now.

From Competitor B:

5g Vit C every day

Tues - 1.5 gal distilled water, 200 carbs

Wed - 2 gal distilled water, 150 carbs

Thurs - 2 gal distilled water, 75 carbs

Fri - 2.5 gals distilled water, 50 carbs, cut water at 6pm, start Taraxatone

Sat - snack on chicken + peanut butter until weigh-ins at 5:30pm

Rehydrate with 1 carbo force, 1 pedialyte mix w/ 1 Gatorade, Electrolyte enhanced water.....then eat pasta 1 hour later....then eat dinner 1 hour after that.

Last one, here is my latest program that I did for a same day weigh in…

Here is what I did because I wanted to drop 7-8 lbs but had to compete that same day so I would not have the normal amount of time to rehydrate. It was a bit tricky because this way does have you down lower for longer so there is a good chance that you will lose some strength. It was overall a crappy day at the contest but I felt like my conditioning and strength was at least OK, especially with all things considered (3 hour drive, water depletion, pouring rain and 36 degrees).

I did very low intensity cardio starting about a week out, and cleaned up my diet a bit (nothing fried, no deserts, etc) but I eat pretty healthy anyway. Kept the carbs high up until about Tuesday or Wednesday and cut them drastically to under 100 grams / day or so. Mostly just from MRP shakes, wraps, etc. I did some water manipulation but did a shortened version where I drank about a gallon and a half on Wednesday, 2 gallons on Thursday, and then about a gallon and a half by early Friday afternoon (which is when I cut water). Also added in stimulants on the last two days (hot rox) to flush out some water, generate a good poop, and keep me mentally alert and focused while restricting and dieting. I ate close to 1 lbs of lean ground beef each night to maintain strength. Other than that mostly protein shakes, and drinking all that water you shouldn’t be very hungry anyway. Stopped creatine on Monday or Tuesday as well. Slept in warm clothes Friday night because I wanted my weight to go under where I needed to be so that I could eat some breakfast. It worked and I was able to have a protein bar and couple of powerbar gel packs on the drive – this was to prevent dehydration and give my body some fuel. Immediately after weigh in started pedialite, and had an energy drink before the event started. Kept up with the pedialite through the contest and finished about two quarts along with water and some other beverages.

If you want me to look at a specific program that you put together just let me know. These type of water / weight manipulation programs have been very successful for many top level powerlifters and strongman competitors

MarcusWild
08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I just add salt to food. The key is to manipulate water weight. That way it won't affect your strength as long as you put all the weight back on.

blownby
08-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Ok, well i have 2 hr weigh ins. Sat morn lift at 9:30ish, & sat morn weigh ins about 7. I usually try to be one of the first to weigh inns to eat & rehydrate asap.

I am looking to simply do a meet at 181 in Nov. I am 199 right now. I figure i will just clean up diet for the next few weeks & then a little more in Sept. I plan to be about mid 190's most of Sept & Oct. And be like low 190's a few weeks out.

I will give these pointers a try. So how does this sound? week of meet. Sat morn weigh in......

Monday 1.5gal water & sodium load---Limit carbs & mostly protein
Tuesday 2 gal water & sodium load---Limit carbs & mostly protein
Weds 2 gal water 5 g Vitamin C & taraxatone--- moderate sodium avg Carbs & mostly protein
Thursdsay (2 gal distilled) 5g Vit C & taraxatone-----minimal carbs & mostly protein (from shakes & bars) & fats
Friday 1 gal water before lunch 5g Vit C & taraxatone Cut food around lunch depending on weight. Stick with protein sahkes & bars if needed or weight allows? Sweat what needs to come off.

What about veggies? Do you cut these out week before weigh inn? also when do you stop the taxaratone & Vit C?

MarcusWild
08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure how much you can cut for 2-hr weigh-ins. I imagine it's not much, since you need to put the weight back on.

blownby
08-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah me either, but i'd like to try for the heck of it & see. I figure if i can manipulate water & food & cut from 193 to 183 from weds night to friday afternoon & just sweat the last few pounds out i should be good.

Any pointers & advice! keep it coming.

blownby
08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I had a buddy cut weight of 212 thurdsay night to 198 by sat morning (due to a bet) simply by cutting out food mostly & water friday & sweating from 207 to 198 friday night. Note he is a chubby 212 tho......lol Plus he had really no idea what he was doing!

He suprisingly maintained his strength. He did get lucky and had about 4 hrs from weighin till he actually lifted. He was zoned out till the squats but picked up well after that.

JSully
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Get Built - Q & A with the Iron Geek - Issue 6

View all articles by MariAnne Anderson

Written by : MariAnne Anderson print article email article

I have to make weight – in three days!

One of our new powerlifters, Bearwolf, sent me a message late in the evening on Tuesday December 5th for help making weight for a contest Saturday, December 9th. Weigh-in was to be Friday, December 8th – less than 72 hours away!!!

Bearwolf (Tuesday December 5th):

Hey MariAnne. I was wondering if you could help me?

I've got my first PL contest on Saturday December 9th: the 100% Raw World Powerlifting Championships in Burlington, VT. I'm having an issue with my weight. If I weigh myself in the morning, I'm 239, but as the day progresses I gradually increase to 244 or 245 by the afternoon.

The weigh-in for the contest is on Friday December 8th from 3 PM to 8 PM, and the weight I have to make is 242 lbs.

Obviously, I'm also worried about losing any strength. Since there is no way to magically lose “real” weight between now and Friday... any tips on quick weight loss? Preferably water-weight loss? I really haven’t had to lose weight like this since high school wrestling more than 24 years ago (I’m 41 now)... and back then I just had to skip eating that extra slice of pizza for lunch.

I’ve tried a number of things - drinking more water, drinking less, eating less, etc. throughout the day. Nothing seems to work over my last couple of weeks of experimenting. Only starvation and no water... but even then I seem to gain a pound or two throughout the day. I am limiting my salt/sodium intake... and limiting caffeine so that I can get a good boost on Saturday morning.

Perhaps some type of natural diuretic a couple of hours before weighing?

HELP!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Me: <eeeeek!>

Evaluating the situation: Given the extremely short notice, true “weight loss” was NOT an option – we needed a water manipulation, FAST. My thoughts here were to use glycogen-depletion and water-loading.

Now, people who do low-carb diets such as Atkins usually lose a few pounds within the first few days (five pounds in five days is NOT uncommon) – dropping glycogen means dropping the water bound up in that glycogen. I’ll explain:

There’s about a hundred grams or so of glycogen in the liver, and a further 1% of muscle mass is made up of glycogen (at least, it is according to wikipedia). (1) For a fella Bearwolf’s size (around 245 lbs), assuming 20% bodyfat (Bearwolf, don’t shoot me – I’m making this up so I can get some numbers), this works out to about 900g of muscle glycogen – so we’re working with about a kg of glycogen bound up with about 2.7kg of water. (2)

If wikipedia can be trusted, this translates to about 8 pounds of combined glycogen and water, and that’s not even counting usual hydration levels. Ditch carbs for a few days, and more than a couple of pounds ought to fall off our boy!

<Rubs hands together in delight>

The other part is the water load. I’ve done this as part of the make-believe pre-contest prep I do before end-of-cut photo shoots, except I do a cosmetic carb-load for these. In Bearwolf’s case, we’ll skip this part until AFTER weigh in (and there won’t be anything pretty about it!).

Here’s my “dumbed down” (for me) understanding of the process, as near as I can tell:

A steroid hormone in your body called aldosterone conserves sodium from being excreted by the kidneys (and guess how you excrete it!)

Consuming high levels of both water and salt suppress aldosterone. (3) The trick is to keep it suppressed by keeping both water and salt high, then, at the right time – switch gears: cut the supply suddenly and the body won’t know it has to conserve water and salt – at least not right away!

This process involves drinking a lot of water – I do it with 10+ litres a day – and you want it trickled in steadily all through the day – the average body can only clear just under a litre an hour. (4)

• When you’re drinking lots of water and consuming lots of sodium, the kidneys freely excrete both and the body remains in homeostasis.

• Within a day of dropping salt, aldosterone goes up – a lot – and this slows the rate of sodium excretion. (5) So we only drop salt the day before weigh-in.

• Having dropped salt but with water still high, sodium concentration falls and triggers a rise in aldosterone.

• As aldosterone increases, the rate of salt secretion slows.

• As aldosterone continues to rise, even less salt is excreted, and the body dumps water at a faster rate than it is being consumed in an effort to concentrate sodium.

• As salt concentration normalizes, water excretion slows – and so, at some point in the day after cutting salt, we cut the water supply entirely so the body continues to dry out; urine still has to be produced – the body still has to get rid of urea, and will scavenge water from the tissues to do so.

So – the plan: By combining very-low carbohydrate consumption with a depletion workout and a water-load, I figured we could get at least five pounds off Bearwolf in plenty of time for his meet and without the exhaustion of him having to sweat it out.

Here’s what we did:

Me (Tuesday December 5th):

Okay, this is cutting it close! Try this:

12-15 litres of water a day (I weigh 135 lbs and I have done this with 12 litres of water a day, judge your needs accordingly) keep salt normal for now. No carbs.

• Wednesday, December 6th – Do a depletion workout to drop glycogen, which holds water.

• Thursday, December 7th – the day before you weigh in - cut salt - no need to cut it to the bone, just don't add any.

• Halfway through Thursday December 7th – cut water OFF – suck ice cubes if you have to. You will continue to pee. This should help you drop some more water-weight.

Good luck!

Bearwolf (Wednesday, December 6th): it's been a tough day without carbs. I did slip a couple of times - an apple, a few whole-wheat crackers and a small piece of dark chocolate. Otherwise, just steak, chicken, eggs, nuts, peanut butter and Nitrean.

I usually drink a lot of water. But I'm almost done with my 3rd gallon – about 12 litres – and I’m, um, floating…

Me (Wednesday, December 6th):

NO SUGAR, NO STARCH!!!

UP your fats. This isn't a diet – it's a manipulation.

With regard to the fats AND fibre, CRANK avocados - they're full of fibre and will clean you out.

Bearwolf (Thursday, December 7th):

OK. OK. I didn't eat any carbs today except Spinach. I hope that was ok.

Should I eat tomorrow before weighing? I really don't think I can last 9 hrs without food and regain my strength fast enough. No liquids, so it's hard to take my protein power. So should I only be eating nuts, eggs, and steak/chicken/fish before weighing around 4 pm?

Me (Thursday, December 7th):

Spinach is fine. Perfect actually. So is broccoli. Lots of butter. For the last 9 hours, eat as little as you can bear to; if nothing goes in you, you can't gain any "weight". Stick to fats with a little protein – it’s satisfying without weighing very much. Try avocado with a little bit of chicken breast. No salt.

Good luck!

Bearwolf (1:17 PM, Friday, December 7th, just before hitting the road):

I'm going to thank you now and later!! I just went to my gym to check and I weigh 239 1/4... so as long as their scale is not WAY off, I should be fine. Hopping on the road now…

Thanks.

Bearwolf (Friday, December 7th, after 5:30 PM weigh-in):

Hey MariAnne! Looks like your instructions are TOO good! I weighed in at 237½ pounds – that’s 7½ pounds lighter then usual at this time of day (and 4½ pounds less than my 242-pound target)! As soon as I weighed in, I drank a quart of chocolate milk and then we went searching for a restaurant. I’m all carbed up on Italian – lots of pasta and bread!

Thanks so much!

Me: <Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!>

Saturday, December 8th: Bearwolf made two PRs and took 1st place for his age and weight class.

(Bearwolf’s comment: This 1st place was only because I was the only lifter in the Master’s fat-arse class. I don’t know if this was an achievement … but the PRs were awesome! I missed a PR on the Bench only because I lifted my butt for a second.)

Debriefing post-contest

Bearwolf

I tried to increase the fats, but I couldn't figure out how to increase them by over 1,200 calories. And I couldn't get back to you in time with this: I hate avocados. But, since your post and a great nutrition article in this month's PLUSA (Power Lifting USA) on avocados and their benefits, I have eaten 2 of them in the last week – more then I have in the last 10 years.

Me: Good boy! From now on, try blending ‘em in with your Nitrean. You might be surprised how nice and creamy they are in a shake. And yes, I’m serious. Other fat options of course include butter, egg yolks, olive oil, any raw nut, peanut butter …

Bearwolf:

A biceps tear is also my excuse for having this last minute weight problem. I was on my way down to 220lbs before it happened, but when it did, I kinda let my diet slide, and without lifting or any type of cardio for a few weeks (it even hurt to swing my arm), I gained a lot of weight quickly. Then when I did enough research on powerlifters who have had the same injury and realized I could still train heavy, I didn't want to risk losing strength while trying to lose at the last minute for my first competition.

Me: Good call – ESPECIALLY with an injury to heal – that’s the LAST time you’d want to lower your calories.

Bearwolf: My next competition is in the spring – I am going to be a little more reasonable and get down to 225 by then, and use your technique the last couple of days to hit 220, then carb-up the night before and have great strength – hopefully. I owe it to you for helping me make weight without losing strength.

Me: I’m really glad this helped you, not only for this meet, but because you now have a proven plan for the next one. Best of luck in your future endeavours!

MariAnne

Baby Got Biceps?

Q: Got something interesting for biceps? I do a lot of rowing and pulling movements, but my bis are lagging and I’d like to give them an extra blast for a little while. Got any suggestions?

A: Arms are funny. Some folks don’t seem to need to do ANY direct arm work, others seem to find a bit helpful. I’m in the latter camp – while I don’t do “rape your arms” day, I do find a little direct bicep (and tricep) work helpful. Here’s a bicep combination a friend of mine told me about a few years ago. I liked it enough to pass along to a few friends.

Baby Got Biceps (in three easy moves)

Step 1. Alternating dumbbell curls (seated or standing), 3-5 sets of 5; tempo: up for one, pause for one, curl hard at the top, down for two or three. Go as heavy as you can with good form. At least a minute rest between sets. Cheat ‘em a bit to get ‘em up if you need to, just make sure you lower slowly.

Steps 2 and 3 are three supersets of 8-12 reps each:

Step 2. Incline dumbbell curls (eccentric - stretches out the muscle and arguably the fascia)

Step 3. Close grip pulldowns on lat cable (concentric, pumps the now-stretched out and warm muscle full of blood.) Like preacher curls (6), this exercise (7) also hits brachialis, but I hate preacher curls (if you don’t have boobs, you may not share my sentiment).

Curl jockeys take heart – you’ll notice a KILLER cosmetic pump from this superset!

When you do the incline curls, go SLOWLY, and considerably lighter than you would with the alternating dumbbell curls. And kinda "open them up" as you go down - leave your palms up the whole way, unlike with the alternating heavy dumbbell curls, where your palm faces your hip at the bottom of the movement.

This is a STRETCHING exercise more than anything else. I understand you can tear a bicep off the bone if you try to go too heavy and drop too fast on the negative. Nobody reading here is THAT stupid, but DO be careful, okay kids? For the close-grip pulldowns, pull for a count of one, hold it and pause at the maximum contraction; up for a count of two or three, full stretch at the top, This IS a lat pull-down, but sit up straight and look up – you want your biceps as involved here as possible. (As an added perk, the first time you do these you’ll feel your abs for DAYS!)

Relative weights for these exercises are roughly as follows:

If you curl 2x lbs an arm for the seated dumbbell curls, do the x's for the inclines, and set the pin at 4x lbs for the close-grips.

Yes, I said “x”.

Sorry. Math geek.

I’ll give an example: when I do ‘em, I use 30 lbs a side for the alternating curls, 15 lbs a side for the inclines, and set the pin at 120 lbs for the close-grip pulldowns.

You will likely deviate from this a bit as you work up the increments, but you’ll probably be fairly close: half as much for the inclines as the alternating curls you started with, and four times your alternating dumbbell-curl weight for the close-grip pulldowns.

Creatine and Caffeine – is there a problem?

Q: I’m getting set to do a cut, and there’s a lot of conflicting information about what supplements to use. Most thermos have caffeine, and I’ve read creatine and caffeine fight each other. Should I ditch creatine? Or caffeine maybe? Or does it really matter all that much?

A: The creatine/caffeine thing pops up from time to time, and as is so often the case with supplements, the data are really thin with regard to physique goals.

Caffeine (sweet, sweet caffeine gaaaahh – but I’m not addicted, I could quit any time …) can promote lipolysis (8) and increase resting energy expenditure through thermogenesis: on the basis of numerous studies (9) (10) (11), Acheson et al conclude that "combining stimulation of lipolysis by caffeine administration and stimulation of energy expenditure by exercise may prove more effective than giving caffeine alone”, citing earlier research that shows this effect may be even stronger in lean individuals than in the obese. (12) Good news on a cut – especially as it progresses!

Creatine is so well-researched I’m not going to even bother digging up one of the bazillion studies supporting its efficacy. Is it useful on a cut? Well, as I’m fond of saying, on a cut, anything with zero calories that helps your muscles work is a good thing. While you may hold more water, it’s WATER – not fat. And it’s gonna be in the muscles anyway. Yanno, where it makes them look BIGGER …

So what’s the problem with creatine and caffeine?

The one study that gets tossed around a lot showed that although creatine supplementation elevates muscle phosphocreatine concentration and markedly improves performance during intense intermittent exercise, caffeine completely negates this effect (13) – but as always, there were problems with this study. Being the lazy slob that I am, I’ll point to the works of others whenever it means I don’t have to do any work myself.

In this case, I’ll invoke The Berardi (14) . He notes the following flaw in this one study:

The experimental design implemented two crossover groups - where each group gets tested under both treatment options. Although this is an excellent way to compare groups (it eliminates between-group variability), the 3-week washout period after creatine supplementation was insufficient to ensure the effect of prior creatine loading was eliminated. (15)

Pointing to another study, Berardi notes, (16) “neither maximal performance and subsequent recovery nor aerobic performance were enhanced by oral creatine supplementation in the study.“ Okay, so creatine didn’t make caffeine work better, but neither did it attenuate caffeine’s pharmokinetics. And Berardi points out that this study only utilized a one-week washout period between the crossover groups – even LESS sufficient than the three weeks provided by Ziegenfuss et al (above).

In short, existing studies showing caffeine and creatine interfere with each other really aren’t helpful to us. Berardi states in his article that he will be involved in a definitive study to determine any interaction. In the meantime, take comfort in the knowledge that due to solubility concerns in the original studies demonstrating the efficacy of creatine, it was administered dissolved in hot coffee or tea!

If you’re really concerned about any small cancellation effect of combining these two ergogenic aids, you could separate your creatine consumption from caffeine by taking them at separate times. For example, if you usually lift at night and you’re taking caffeine-containing thermos such as Nitor or Thermocin for your cut, and would like to continue taking Creatine, a simple solution would be to take your last dose of thermo sometime before you train, and your creatine right after. That’s what I do.

Written by MariAnne Anderson

If you have a question or would like to make a comment about this article, you can do so on a dedicated thread in our bodybuilding, weight lifting and fitness forums

Disclaimer: This advice is as good as I can make it, but no one should blindly follow advice from the Internet - that's just common sense. I try to include references or further reading in my replies, which means you can check them and make up your own mind. No matter how much I may know about MY situation, I only know YOUR situation by what you tell me, and that can never replace the supervision of a trained and certified professional who can work directly with you. Neither I nor wannabebig.com are responsible if trying to follow my advice results in muscle soreness, injury, your hair turning blue, or your mother getting insulted. You've been warned!

that's the article I was referencing blownby..

martin
08-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Ok, well i have 2 hr weigh ins. Sat morn lift at 9:30ish, & sat morn weigh ins about 7. I usually try to be one of the first to weigh inns to eat & rehydrate asap.

I am looking to simply do a meet at 181 in Nov. I am 199 right now. I figure i will just clean up diet for the next few weeks & then a little more in Sept. I plan to be about mid 190's most of Sept & Oct. And be like low 190's a few weeks out.

I will give these pointers a try. So how does this sound? week of meet. Sat morn weigh in......

Monday 1.5gal water & sodium load---Limit carbs & mostly protein
Tuesday 2 gal water & sodium load---Limit carbs & mostly protein
Weds 2 gal water 5 g Vitamin C & taraxatone--- moderate sodium avg Carbs & mostly protein
Thursdsay (2 gal distilled) 5g Vit C & taraxatone-----minimal carbs & mostly protein (from shakes & bars) & fats
Friday 1 gal water before lunch 5g Vit C & taraxatone Cut food around lunch depending on weight. Stick with protein sahkes & bars if needed or weight allows? Sweat what needs to come off.

What about veggies? Do you cut these out week before weigh inn? also when do you stop the taxaratone & Vit C?

I wouldn't have any water on the friday, or just enough to take your pills with.

I cut food for the whole day too, maybe eat a slice of some light bread if I need to.

It depends what you have to lose come the week prior to meet. I have cut weight 3 times now, last time from 244 to make 220. I don't really think dropping/lowering carbs is a good idea three days out. I managed fine keeping a pretty high carb diet upto the day before the weigh in where I cut all food and drink.

Salt intake is key more than carbs IMO. Also make sure your eating low residue foods from the mon/tues and use a mild laxative on weds night and thurs morning.

Cant help with veg I don't ea many anyways, but the vit C is fine throughout. Take a good multi vit for the whole week until meet day at a good dose.

M

blownby
08-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Ok, thanks for the input.....

Any other thoughts anyone? Also what are some ideal foods for this week before weigh in?