PDA

View Full Version : Bands on the Bar for Reps?

KarlMarx
08-21-2009, 11:51 AM
I have heard here and there people snickering about people doing reps with bands on the bar. I have been thinking about and I wanted to ask your opinion on what is wrong with it. I have one idea:

When you lift with the band on DE and ME lifts you try and 'outrun' the band by building speed and pushing through it. So, the bands help you to learn to be explosive if you want to lift the weight. They wouldn't have this feature if you were lifting slowly for reps.

But, couldn't you just use it to make the rep harder at the top when using the repetition method? For instance by doing bench presses where you want to work the bottom a little but focus more on the lockout of the movement? Or is the band just not suited for that, you really need to lift with speed to lift with them?

MarcusWild
08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I use bands for tons of stuff. I'll use them for accessory work (tricep pushdowns, lat pulldowns, face pulls, basically everything). If you want to overload the top with reps, then a reverse band might be the best option.

vdizenzo
08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Too much band work can beat you up. Give it a run and see what works for you.

KarlMarx
08-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Actually, thats right. My shoulder got pretty jacked up using them too much before. Its funny how short my memory is. As soon as I am healed my mind turns to thinking how I can put more bands on stuff. Thanks for that! I just have to slow down and think moderation.

KarlMarx
08-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I use bands for tons of stuff. I'll use them for accessory work (tricep pushdowns, lat pulldowns, face pulls, basically everything). If you want to overload the top with reps, then a reverse band might be the best option.

I haven't done this in awhile. I should do this again soon one way or another. It seems to be easier on my shoulder because its not accelerating the weight into me. I guess I hadn't thought about how bands differently wear on the joint depending on reverse or straight up. Thanks for this!

Brian Hopper
08-22-2009, 09:13 PM

I agree,
anything more then 3 weeks in a row will start to break me down.

KarlMarx
08-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Its funny, as a result of this thread I was wondering how I might get some chains in the gym to rotate in with the bands. Its a problem because they are heavy and expensive and I don't want to carry them to the gym every time. Anyway, then I saw my gym bought chains! I was like no way! Impossible! Yes! But then....

I saw how they had they attached the chain to the collar. They purposely attached the chains to the collar so they wouldn't touch the floor when you lift with them. They had them doubled up real short to the collar they had bolted them too. Some real 'hardcore' guys were lifting with them and I was cracking up. Why not just put twenty pounds on each side and save your self the trouble? Obviously because it wouldn't look cool!

SEOINAGE
08-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Its funny, as a result of this thread I was wondering how I might get some chains in the gym to rotate in with the bands. Its a problem because they are heavy and expensive and I don't want to carry them to the gym every time. Anyway, then I saw my gym bought chains! I was like no way! Impossible! Yes! But then....

I saw how they had they attached the chain to the collar. They purposely attached the chains to the collar so they wouldn't touch the floor when you lift with them. They had them doubled up real short to the collar they had bolted them too. Some real 'hardcore' guys were lifting with them and I was cracking up. Why not just put twenty pounds on each side and save your self the trouble? Obviously because it wouldn't look cool!

Wow that is pretty funny, maybe they think the swaying will help? Just attach another smaller chain in between so they hang to the floor.

Reko
08-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Wow that is pretty funny, maybe they think the swaying will help? Just attach another smaller chain in between so they hang to the floor.

Yea or use them as loaders?

KarlMarx
08-23-2009, 10:37 PM

Yeah, I'll see if I can unbolt them easily and let them hang. Or, if not, this idea with the shorter chains is great. I could probably even hang it from bands if I didn't want to have to put something else (small chains) in my locker.

I'm gonna ask them tomorrow what they are for and I'll let you know what they say. I'm guessing its pretty hilarious.

KarlMarx
08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
I asked them what they are for. The people at the gym say they are just for benching. And to give them some credit they do hit the ground about halfway down the bench press motion. Not as bad as I thought all things considered.

The gym staff are made up of 90% kids surfing the internet, I'm sure somebody saw it on youtube and ordered the chains. I'm just glad they have them now. They are only about 10lbs each tho.