PDA

View Full Version : Will the length of the barbell affect your lifts?

Brian999
08-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Quick question, I have the Texas Power Bar now. Still haven't had a chance to use it yet because I need to put together my rack, and clean up some more space. I'll definetly be lifting at home though by or before friday of next week. I checked the length of the bar at the gym I go to now, and there 5' for sure because it's smaller then me. The Texas Power bar is 7', will the extra length affect my lifts in any way? I was thinking about it, and it would seem that it would make it harder to bench, but Im not to sure, would it?

Thanks!

deeder
08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
It will make all your lifts easier. It will have more flex/bend to it.

Fuzzy
08-22-2009, 03:41 AM
A 7 foot bar is what any serious lifter should be using. And it should help., like Deeder said a longer bar will have more flex.

C.Pop
08-22-2009, 05:56 AM
From an simplified engineering point of view, it will make no difference. As posted above, if deadlifting the added flex will make it a little easier. It's really not an appreciable enough factor to worry about while benching.

Brian999
08-22-2009, 09:51 AM
OK, thanks guys. I didn't think of it that way.

Pete22
08-22-2009, 10:05 AM
It will make all your lifts easier. It will have more flex/bend to it.

This could possibly help your deadlift, but I don't see how it would be beneficial for your squat and bench?

Brian999
08-22-2009, 10:21 AM
This could possibly help your deadlift, but I don't see how it would be beneficial for your squat and bench?

Thats what I thought too :confused: :confused: Won't a smaller bar make it easier because you can control it better?

spectralshadow
08-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Thats what I thought too :confused: :confused: Won't a smaller bar make it easier because you can control it better?

From what I got from it, I think it's comparable to say... Having a person sit on you [i.e. short bar], instead of having a person lay across you [long bar]. The weight is more easily distributed and flexes more over the bar instead of being focused.

Pete22
08-22-2009, 11:10 AM

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. You now have an awesome bar that'll last you a lifetime, and it's a standard length so there's no need to sweat the small stuff.

MarcusWild
08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
How can you get your hands on the 5 ft bar to squat? That's just crazy since the distance between the collars must be 3-3.5 ft.

Brian999
08-22-2009, 05:50 PM
How can you get your hands on the 5 ft bar to squat? That's just crazy since the distance between the collars must be 3-3.5 ft.

Im not too sure, there still a little space to hold onto the bar, but not too much. Thats the longest bar they have though :( Im sure I'll notice a differene when I use a bar thats 2' longer.

I see Pete, in any case I'll just get used to it, and it'll last me.