PDA

View Full Version : Up your mASS

Pages : [1] 2 3

gino
04-19-2001, 09:27 AM
I've been making some great gains on my diet and training schedule, so I'll keep track of my schedule on here for anyone who's interested.

Meal 1 - 7:00
-6 eggs(4 white)
-PBJ
-8 oz OJ
-2 tbsp flax

Meal 2 - 9:30
-1 can Tuna on
-2 slices wheat bread
-1 pk oatmeal
-10g whey

Meal 3 - 12:00
-1 Lg. Chicken breast
-2 pk oatmeal
-Banana
-10g whey

Meal 4 - 2:30
-Roast beef on
-Wheat bagel
-10g Whey

Meal 5 - 4:30
-1 can tuna on
-2 slices wheat bread
-1 pk oatmeal
-10g Whey

Meal 6 - 7:00
-8 oz steak
-Whole grain rice(2 cups cooked)
-1 cup grapes
-10g Whey

Meal 7 - 9:00
-8 oz Salmon
-1 slice wheat bread

Meal 8 - 10:30
-30g whey
-2 tbsp flax

Daily:
Calories - 4200
Protein - 340g
Carbs - 425g
Fat - 100g

I just upped my protein intake a week ago from 275g to 340g by adding 10g of whey to several meals in my regular diet. I've put on 10 lbs of (what appears to be) good muscle mass in the last 8 weeks on this diet schedule. I plan on maintaining this diet for 4 more weeks, hopefully putting on 5-10 more lbs. Then, I'll gradually bring my calories down to about 3400 - 3500 and get ripped up again.

I train each body part once every 6-7 days. Here's my training schedule:

Day 1 - chest/abs
Day 2 - Back/calves
Day 3 - off or light cardio(fast walk 30 min)
Day 4 - Shoulders/arms
Day 5 - Legs
Day 6 - off/stretch for 30 min
Day 7 - off, light cardio, or start cycle again(chest)

Day 7 is a "bubble" day. I make my descision based on what my instincts are telling me. If I'm fired up, I'll go to the gym. If not, I'll rest up as much as possible. I train to ABSOLUTE failure whenever possible - it's not possible when squatting, deadlifting, etc. Total workload for each muscle trained are between 4 and 8 sets. Reps range from 6 to 15. Why so high? Well, since I train to absolute failure, if I have a weight I thought I could do 12 times, and after 12 reps I can squeeze out a couple more, you can bet your arse I'm gonna do 'em. Total time spent in the gym - 30 to 60 minutes each workout. My stats as of today are:

5'10"
200 lbs
8.5% bf

gino
04-20-2001, 07:29 AM
4/20 - yesterday

Meals all the same except:

Mo meal 8 - went to bed early after a brutal leg workout.

Leg workout:

-Squat
3 warmup
3 sets - as close to failure as possible(slow, controlled, deep reps)

-Leg Curls
1 warmup
2 sets beyond failure

-SLDL
2 sets to near failure

-Leg ext.
1 set beyond failure

Today - legs are tight and full. Easily fatigued walking up stairs. Not looking forward to later on today and tomorrow.

gino
04-23-2001, 09:26 AM
Went to visit parents this weekend, so diet was comprimised. I ate a LOT, though and took weekend off from the gym. It's been a while since I took 2 days off in a row, but I needed it. My mother had her first bodybuilding comp yesterday and placed 4th overall. There was no masters class, so she was up against some young women. She should have took second according to everyone but the judges, but she's very happy anyways. She was soooo ripped - 5-6% bodyfat @ 95 lbs. Absolute freak of nature. The woman who won the contest looked like a "fitness" competitor instead of a bodybuilder, but oh well. Being back stage got me really fired up, so I'm going to do a competition sometime this summer. I could have done well at the show in my current condition - not 1st place, but pretty good.

I got home late last night, so I missed out on sleep. After I deadlift and finish my back workout tonight, I'm going straight to bed. Hopefully, I'll get 10-11 hrs of sleep. I NEED it badly. I'm supposed to hang out with a "lady friend" tonight, but I guess I'm gonna have to reschedule. I won't be the most pleasant person to be around tonight, and NOTHING is going to stop me from crashing at about 8:00. Well, I can think of a couple things that may make me stay up, but I'm not going to put myself in a position where it could possibly happen. I NEED SLEEP!

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-23-2001, 09:49 AM
Just go and shag her.

I swear, i won't hold it against you.....

gino
04-23-2001, 11:30 AM
Whew! I'm glad to hear that CD. I was soooo worried. lol

I'm a firm believer in doing something only if you can be the best you can be. Being so tired, my game might be a little off tonight, so I'll just rest up and prepare for the rescheduled appointment. She's the one who asked me to do something, so I'm sure she won't mind if I reschedule.

MY DIET today:

All the same except
-lunch - another business lunch - swordfish with veggies
when I got back to my office, I ate 2 servings of oatmeal too.

No late meal - going to bed early

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-23-2001, 11:31 AM
hahaha......

gino
04-23-2001, 02:39 PM
testing

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-23-2001, 03:07 PM
Mine looks better. :p

gino
04-24-2001, 09:47 AM
But mine is me. lol

gino
04-24-2001, 09:59 AM
Rescheduled my appointment for this saturday - Playboy is sponsoring a special event at my night club, so I'll bring her there and show her what VIP treatment is like.

Got 10 hours of sleep last night and feeling great today. I'll have to work out at 9:00 tonight because of night class. I'll eat and be in bed by 10 for 9 hrs of sleep.(or 8 if I go to the gym tomorrow morning)

I weighed 202 yesterday.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-24-2001, 01:14 PM
Do you go to college as well as work a full day?

If so damn! Where do you find any time in the day!

How is the article on finding the time coming along? Or have you not found the time yet!!:D

Note to self: No more puns or crap jokes tuttut

gino
04-24-2001, 02:14 PM
Lol - you kill me Chicken Daddy. You're right, I haven't found the time.

I work full time, go to graduate school, go to the gym 5 days every week, and work at a night club on friday nights. I manage to do most of my homework on the weekend. I'll do a DJ gig here and there, too and spin a few times a week, making cds for my friends. I'm currently in the process of ironing out the logistics of my own internet company I can run out of my basement, too. Other than that, I'm pretty bored - I'm thinking about volunteering at a local boys & girls club to use my spare time wisely. Those kids are really going to benefit from the 5 minutes I can spend with them every other week.:D

Although I didn't deadlift last night, my back/calves workout went awesome.

Weighted hyper extensions - 3 sets
Pull ups - 3 sets
Dumbell rows - 3 sets
Cable rows - 1 set
Rear delts - 2 sets
Standing calf raises - 4 sets

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-24-2001, 03:29 PM
Wow ace. You're back routine is like mine.

Notice yours is like mine and not vice versa

;)

Alex.V
04-24-2001, 04:05 PM
whaddya know, that's basically mine, too. :D

gino
04-25-2001, 07:11 AM
Slept 7 hours and woke up exhausted today - effects of the weekend still lingering. Almost fell head first into my wall when I got out of bed 'cause my equalibrium was all messed up. MUST get 9 hours tonight.

Brought MRP to night class last night. Got out of class a little early, so I went to my college gym for a shoulders/arms workout.

-Dumbell press - 3 sets
-shrugs - 2 sets
-Lateral dumbell raises - 3 sets

Gym closed at 9:00, so I didn't have time for arms. I'll do them today with abs. I'm growing and getting stronger by the day, it seems. My body is in an extremely anabolic state right now - my hormone levels must be through the roof cause I walk around with a chubby half the day.:eek: lol When I'm not working, I'm thinking about women, food, and weights. Life is grand. Wonder which one is giving me the chubby;)

Yes, this is more graphic than other journals on here, but hey, it's a JOURNAL - a look into the life of a busy, dedicated trainer.

gino
04-26-2001, 07:03 AM
Slept 8 hrs last night...getting better. Did arms/abs last night.

-Barbell curls - 4 sets
-dumbell hammer curls - 1 set

-OH dumbell press - 4 sets
-pressdowns - 1 set

-behind back forearm curls - 2 sets
-reverse dumbell wrist curls - 1 set

-crunches - 3 sets
-leg raises - 2 sets

Went to bed at 11 because I had to catch the last episode of sopranos I missed on sunday.

gino
04-27-2001, 07:17 AM
Leg workout last night. I switched it up a little for sh!ts and giggles.

-Dumbell SLDL - 3 sets
-Leg extensions - 2 sets
-Squat - 3 sets
-Lying leg curls - 1 set

Legs were like jello before I squatted, so you can probably imagine how fun that was. Just put 275 on the bar and repped it out for 3 sets to failure. Napped on the couch from 8:30 to 9:30. Woke up, cooked some salmon, took my flax and went to bed at 10:00. I didn't fall asleep till almost 12 for some reason, so I only got 7 hours sleep last night. I could squeeze in an hour of sleep before work tonight, but that's it. My roommates want to get a keg and have friends over tomorrow afternoon, but it all depends on the weather - chance of rain. I have a chest workout scheduled for tomorrow.

gino
04-30-2001, 09:04 AM
This was the worst weekend ever for dieting. I started drinking at 2:00 saturday and didn't stop until 2:00 am. I had fun partying, but it was not a smart thing on my part. Power sunday went well yesterday. I ate:

-1 bag of potato chips
-1 pint of ben & jerry's
-Taco bell
-Domino's deep dish pizza
-1 mrp with peanut butter

Grand total - 6500 calories. Today, my body will be a calorie burning machine. Back workout scheduled for tonight.

gino
05-03-2001, 11:18 AM
It's been a while, but everything's going well. Upped my calories slightly, and weighed 206 yesterday. Workouts going well, except for a pain in my left elbow that bothers me during curls & tricep pressing movements. I think it's something I can work through though - just a slight hyperextension. It'll get a rest tonight, though because I'm doing legs. Last week I squatted at the end of my leg workout, but this week I'm squatting first.

gino
05-09-2001, 01:50 PM
Squats went well last week - 345 x 10, 9, 6

Deadlifted a couple nights ago before my back workout - 425 x 12, 10

Back is still sore. I'm hoping it's good to go tomorrow night for squats. Shoulders/arms scheduled for tonight. After taking yesterday off and getting 9 hours sleep last night, I'm ready for a kick a$$ workout.

I don't know how much longer I can continue bulking. I'm growing out of my clothes - I've already had to put a couple pairs of pants away because I'm busting out of them. 2 more weeks, then the cutting begins. I'll be a ripped mofo soon. I'll take before & after pics, too.

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-09-2001, 03:48 PM
How long do you cut for?

Also, would you please keep a regularly updated journal throughout your cutting process with all the in's and out's that go with it such as diet and training etc... I wanna get a good idea of it for when i diet.

Cheers man!:)

gino
05-11-2001, 10:32 AM
I'll cut until I reach my goal... Now I just have to make up my mind. There is a show this summer I thought about doing, so obviously I'll want to get MUCH lower bf if I do the show. Otherwise, I'll probably just shoot for 6% at ? lbs. We'll see. I'll keep close tabs on my progress.

Legs went well last night.

Squat - 355 x 9,7,6
Leg Curl - 2 sets
Leg Ext/Leg Press - 2 supersets (holy $hit, this one's a killer)

I would have done some SLDLs, but my lower back was not up to it - Apparently, it had not fully recovered from deadlifts on monday. Next week, I'm gonna see what I can get with 365 lbs for squats. I've steadily gone up every week, so why not push the envelope a little.

I had to de-clog the bath tub last night, so I didn't get to bed until 12. Got 7 hours sleep. Tonight I have no workout scheduled, so I'll try to squeeze in a nap before I leave for the club at 8.

I felt like I could use some extra calories yesterday, so I got a double quarter pounder at McDs before my workout. HA HA, FATNESS! Other than that, all my meals went as planned.

gino
05-17-2001, 12:02 PM
Training & diet still going well. Started cutting carbs out before bed. My last meal is only protein & flax.

This weekend was a rough one though. Saturday night, I'm talking to some girl at a bar and her ex boyfriend & all his friends were there - he got ****ed and started a fight with me. Of course, all of my friends are no where to be found at this point when he reaches around and pushes me from behind his wall of friends. Well, I snapped and started clocking & headbutting everyone I could get my hands on. I finally made my way through his friends who wanted no part of me at this point, and this 160 lb punk throws a punch at me that just misses. I grabbed him by the neck and literally picked him up off his feet and choke slammed him on the floor. Sounds good right? Wrong. He was holding onto my shirt the whole time and dragged me down with him. I hit my head on the corner of a juke box or cigarette machine, or something and split my head next to my left eye. The bouncer finally pulled me off the top of him as I straddled him and plugged away at his face. I ended up getting 4 stitches. HOWEVER, the girl I was with managed to get my number from one of my friends and called me last night. She wants to see me this weekend. Ha ha ha, that's a slap in the face(after a punch in the face) to her ex if I ever heard of one.

NOW, how does this all relate to training? Well, I have a leg workout scheduled for tonight, but I'll have to change it up a little so that I don't bust out of my stitches. No heavy squats, that's for sure. We'll see about SLDLs - those could be out of the question too. I'll post my workout tomorrow.

Anthony
05-17-2001, 02:07 PM
Violence doesn't solve anything, Gino! tuttut

lol ... whatever, glad to hear you kicked his punk ass biaiaiaiach face in!

05-17-2001, 02:25 PM
Gino why are you cutting out carbs in your last meal? I thought you didn't believe in the "carbs before bed" myth?

gino
05-17-2001, 03:19 PM
Anthony - yeah, AND I get the girl. What a happy story.
Some people... geez, can't we all get along?

Avatar - I always eat less carbs before bed than with my other daily meals. My first 7 meals now(bulking) consist of about 60g carbs each. Before bed, I'll eat a slice of wheat bread or some oatmeal(15-20g), so I do reduce it significantly. I am going to begin a strict cutting diet soon - cutting carbs in half(about 30g per meal). My carb sensitivity will be much higher, so staying with my current ratios, I'd be at 7-10g carbs before bed - not needed.

Chris Rodgers
05-17-2001, 08:42 PM
Haha. I like how you were just head-butting anyone you could get your hands on! LOL

Too bad that Juke Box kicked your ass!

gino
05-18-2001, 11:00 AM
Yeah, it's great. If you grab someone by the head, what is their frist reaction? - Put their hands on yours and try to pull them off, leaving their face wide open. Might as well put a big red bulls-eye on their nose or a flashing neon sign above their head saying "BREAK ME"

They never expect to get hit by a rock hard skull. It surprises them and usually leaves them unconscious, as two of these guys were. I got a bruise on my forehead because I hit a cheekbone instead of the nose with one of the two guys I headbutted, but it's not even noticeable now.

KKL
05-20-2001, 11:31 AM
on squats you may want to try some walk outs/partials with heavier weights. doing this really helped my full squat

gino
05-22-2001, 10:41 AM
Well, here is my "Don't bust out of your stitches" leg workout last week.

SLDL - 2 x 15
Leg press - 2 x 20
Leg curl - 2 sets to absolute failure

I used relatively light weight, but did all exercises extremely slow and controlled and had a GREAT workout. I was extremely sore for days following the leg workout - further proof supporting slow controlled reps.

gino
06-05-2001, 09:31 AM
Just when everything is going great...BAM!!!...tonsilitis. Started getting a sore throat last wednesday. Thursday, I went deep sea fishing on Long Island Sound and caught a bunch of protein. Very cold out there. Friday evening, stay in and sleep - notice some white patches on tonsils - oh boy, here we go. Saturday morning, wake up at 8:00, call girl and tell her I can't bring her to Yankees game because I'm going to the hospital. My tonsils are fricken huge and disgusting. In hospital waiting room for 1-1/2 hours. Doctor takes one look at them and says "wow." Not what I wanted to hear. He then asks me "is the pain bearable?" I say yes. He replies "heh, not for long, I'll give you some pain killers." Prescribes penicillin and percocet. By noon the pain is unbearable and my tonsils are nearly touching eachother. Swallowing and breathing become extremely difficult. I watch the yankees game that I should have gone to, on television and think about the incredibly hot broad I had to break off plans with. She's one of the "Bacardi Girls" who does promotions in different cities for Bacardi. These girls are hot. They wear minimal clothing and have super-tight bodies. Ok, ok enough about her (kicking myself in the a$$ repeatedly). Anyhoo, I laid in bed all weekend all smacked out on percocet, eating whatever I could squeeze between my tonsils(mrp & soup), and struggling to breathe. Good time. Lost 5 lbs and couldn't work out for 4 days. Got back in the gym yesterday and did a chest/shoulders/triceps workout. I'm going to do a push/pull/legs split this week and get back into my regular split next week. Resting is more important this week. I slept very little this weekend. I felt weak yesterday, but still had a good workout

06-05-2001, 09:45 AM
Sorry to hear your bad news gino. You may want to rename your journal to "down your mass". :eek:

gino
06-05-2001, 10:30 AM
Good suggestion Avatar.

Like I didn't feel small enough. I hate you.

lol

Yaz
06-05-2001, 09:12 PM
Yea gino, that avatar under your name shrunk 10x10 pixels I think. Better get back to PB&J soon.

* Also thinks he should stop tormenting 200 lb, shredded people... before he dies, fast. *

-

Anyway, good luck. Hit it harder this time around.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-06-2001, 05:51 AM
~plays sad, melanchollie violin music for poor ole' Gino~

gino
09-07-2001, 08:10 AM
*punches chicken daddy in the face and breaks his violin three months after the fact*

I'M BACK

Wow, it's been a while since I last updated this, but not much changes much with me as far as training and diet go. I stopped bulking, but I'm playing football now, so I still eat quite a bit. This is what my current diet is like. Here's yesterday's schedule:

7:00
6 eggs(4 whites)
2 packs instant oatmeal
10g whey

9:30
Chicken breast
wheat bagel with cream cheese
10g whey

12:30
1 can of tuna on
2 slices of wheat bread
banana
2 oz peanuts
10g whey

3:30
chicken breast
2 packs of instant oatmeal
10g whey

6:30(post workout)
50g Dextrose w/10g creatine
40g whey

8:30
Steak
25g whey with
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 slice of wheat bread

10-11:30
Several amstel lights at the Mory's pub across the street
...oops

11:30
40g milk & egg protein
Flax

I feel that keeping a steady flow of whey protein in my body throughout the day, adding the dextrose to my post workout feeding, and the milk and egg protein before bed has worked well for me. I've added a couple days of cardio to my weekly schedule to offset the unusually high amount of frosty beverages I have been drinking lately. Also, in the evening, I have been taking my home made ZMA formula consisting of Magnesium, Zinc, and B-6. I supplement with a multi Vitamin twice daily, chromium picolinate twice daily, E(the vitamin - lol), C, and calcium.

I've been doing the push/pull/legs split for a couple months now and I like it. Here's last nights leg workout:

Squats - 3 sets (10, 8, 6 reps)
Smith machine squat - 1 set (15 reps)
Leg curl - 1 drop set (15, 10 reps)
Leg extension - 1 set (25 reps)
Trip over feet walking out of the gym - 2 sets (1 rep)

YatesNightBlade
09-07-2001, 08:15 AM
Good Vit Pack. How the hell do you keep all that Whey with you all the time. Do you make one big shake ???

gino
09-07-2001, 08:29 AM
I've got a freezer bag full of whey powder that I keep in my office.

gino
09-10-2001, 10:15 AM
I played well this weekend. I had a sack a bunch of tackles and 2 knock downs. I suffered a DEEP thigh bruise on the front of my right quad. It's extremely painfull. Walking up stairs and flexing my quad in any way hurts like hell. Hopefully it'll be OK by thursday so I don't have to miss my leg workout. Back/bis/abs are scheduled for tonight.

YatesNightBlade
09-12-2001, 04:28 AM
How do you manage to get such injuries when your covered in armor ? Rugby, now thats a mans game. ;)

gino
09-19-2001, 07:23 AM
...game for a pikey

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-19-2001, 07:49 AM
tra la lala...

gino
09-20-2001, 09:10 AM
proper fuked?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-20-2001, 09:45 AM
Bolloxed.

Mystic Eric
10-08-2001, 01:24 AM
i want an update gino. you know you're my hero.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-08-2001, 04:33 AM
he's MY hero...

Mystic Eric
10-08-2001, 11:56 AM
screw off c_d. he's MY hero. you can't have some other chump as your hero like belial or even maki.

Maki Riddington
10-09-2001, 10:09 PM
Who you callin chump?
I'll crush you with my left hand son.
Ain't no thang.

Mystic Eric
10-09-2001, 11:03 PM
stop ruining gino's journal maki tuttut

gino
10-31-2001, 08:48 AM
CAN YOU SMELL-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L what the G is cooking!?!?!?!

OK, well to let you know, it's steak and broccoli. I realize smelling stuff through the internet is tough.

Anyhoo, I've been travelling all over for work, so I haven't been able to spend much time here. I have however, continued training, but it just happens to be in a different Gold's gym every day. I've got my gold's gym travel pass and everything I need in my suitcase, supplements included. I'm getting a lap top today, so I'll be able to check you guys out in the evenings from my hotel regularly. I'm leaving tomorrow for Quebec City and I'll be there until next wednesday. I'm holding steady at 200-205 lbs and recently got over my nagging case of shoulder bursitis. I flat benched last week for the first time in 2 months and worked out with 245, so I'm pretty happy. I lost some, but not too much. I'm able to squat now without causing severe discomfort from holding the bar with my shoulder in that position and last week I was able to incline bench and do light shoulder press, both of which I was totally incapable of doing for the last 8-10 weeks. For the last couple months I simply did exercises that didn't cause any pain and I think it helped me maintain my strength. The last time I had shoulder bursitis, I completely stopped working my upper body, and recovery took the same amount of time.

Also, I'm in the process of drawing my next tattoos. I'll show them to you when I get them.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-31-2001, 01:27 PM
a job that involves travelling must rule. Must be a cunt getting all the meals in and cooked on the road though.

How does this affect your footballing?

And hey, did you get my pm?

gino
10-31-2001, 01:46 PM
It's hard not gaining weight on the road. Every meal I have an awesome menu in front of me, so it's tough eating small portions. I'm learning how to eat healthy in a restaurant, though. Basically, you just can't order anything on the menu. I ask for skinless chicken breast with broccoli and wheat bread and other good stuff, but I piss a lot of waitresses off. I eat metRx food bars in between meals, so I get steady meals all day long. I have a bottomless expense account, so I expense everything including protein bars. I'm making lots of money from mileage too. Last month my company cut me a check for 1200 bucks for the miles I drove.

I don't play football every week now, which is probably better because my wrist with the screw in it is starting to hurt.

I'll check back tonight and reply to your PM. Gotta go!

gino
12-20-2001, 12:28 PM
I just ate the hugest fattest lunch ever. I had to leave my office and walk around the building because I feel so fat. I just ate 3 plates full of food.

Lasagna, bacon wrapped scallops, chicken fingers, beef marsala, italian bread, chicken francaise, and 3 italian pastries.

I'm sure the walk really helped...:rolleyes:

That's OK because it's LEGS TONIGHT and I need all the extra calories I can. (that's what I tell myself to make me feel better)

Paul Stagg
12-20-2001, 12:36 PM
The leg day excuse works for me

Paul
(Who had two big ass servings of spaghetti yesterday afternoon)

gino
12-20-2001, 01:27 PM
Pasta is my weakness too...

It's OK in my book for a post workout meal, but it takes too long to make fresh following a workout. I like to eat DIRECTLY after, not 30-40 minutes (drive home + cooking). If I have some in the fridge pre-made, I'll heat it up after a workout regardless if I'm cutting or not.

Did the Spaghetti have meat in it Paul?
(*gino salivates as he waits for details of Paul's pasta*)

ericg
12-20-2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by gino
.......Did the Spaghetti have meat in it Paul?
(*gino salivates as he waits for details of Paul's pasta*)

Hahaha....thought you were going to ask the details of Pauls meat....

Paul Stagg
12-20-2001, 02:36 PM
Yep.

About a quarter pound of ground beef each serving.

Hey - it WAS leg day.

Today I'm eating tuna.

gino
12-21-2001, 09:44 AM
That's what I like to hear...

Last week, I ate a hot italian sausage grinder at the Pizzeria down the street after my leg workout.

You know, because it was such a grueling workout and my body needed the grinder. I find melted mozzarella cheese to really help my legs fully recover. lol

Reinier
12-21-2001, 09:47 AM
the only way for my legs to recover is to eat at least 1.5 full roasted chicken

gino
12-21-2001, 10:04 AM
That's not fat enough. Your legs need MORE!

lol

gino
01-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Cutting is going well. lost 6 lbs and still getting stronger. Legs tonight. The only time I allow myself sugar during the day is post workout meal. I have a cannoli sitting at home calling my name for after my work out this evening.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-16-2002, 02:13 PM
~has no idea what one of them are, but it sounds nice~

ericg
01-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Sounds like an instrument or a bird. I highly doubt he is eating either of those.

gino
01-16-2002, 03:00 PM
You should both be ashamed of yourselves. Cannolis are the cornerstone of every fat italian person's diet. Here's a link to an italian pastry recipe site. The cannolis I get don't have the green pistachio nuts on them.

http://www.lezza.com/cannoli.htm

PowerManDL
01-16-2002, 03:09 PM
Awww you bastard! Now I'm going to have to get some of those!

Tryska
01-16-2002, 04:25 PM
how can y'all not know what a cannoli is? i love cannolis. although i can honestly say i haven't had one in something like 8 years. damn. i need to find an italian bakery.

gino
01-17-2002, 08:14 AM
Go right now. Stop whatever you're doing and go to the pastry shop. Your tastebuds will thank you.(your hips and ass will hate you though)

I'll bet if they made cannoli flavored tea, chicken daddy would know what they were.

Here's my favorite pastry shop.

http://www.springfieldsouthend.com/lafiorentina.html

and reataurant...

http://www.springfieldsouthend.com/caramiaristorante.html

Both mafia owned, of course.

Tryska
01-17-2002, 08:21 AM
yeah but gino.....i live in atlanta. we don't have eye-talians here.

well we do, but they all say y'all.

my pizza parlor choices are papa johns, and dominos. *sigh*

gino
01-17-2002, 08:28 AM
My leg workout last night was a big change of pace from my usual leg workouts. I've squatted for the last 7 or 8 weeks in a row, so I decided to do leg presses instead and change up the order/reps of exercises a little. I started off with heavy leg extensions.

Leg extensions:
3 warmups
3 sets with entire rack to failure - 13, 11, 8 reps

Leg press(high rep)/leg curl supersets
1 warmup
3 supersets to failure
leg press(6 plates each side) - 22, 20, 15 reps
leg curl(hammer strength) - 12, 10, 10 reps

This was an interesting change of pace from my usual workout and the fatigue I felt in my legs was extreme. My legs were "jello" for much longer than usual. It was fun changing it up, but doing high rep leg presses last was really a b!tch.

gino
01-17-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
yeah but gino.....i live in atlanta. we don't have eye-talians here.

well we do, but they all say y'all.

my pizza parlor choices are papa johns, and dominos. *sigh*

Damn, so no Joey Buttafuocos or Vinny Roccatolis by you? All the italians are probably named something like Jason or Stan... lol

Although I do like those chain restaurant's pizza, there's no substitute for a good slice of Sicilian from a local 5th generation family owned pizza joint.

Tryska
01-17-2002, 08:38 AM
word.

i miss realy new york styyle pizza. and i haven't met a vinny, vito, or tony in like 6 years man.

gino
01-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Get shaky hands sometimes from guinea withdrawal, right?

Tryska
01-17-2002, 08:43 AM
here i was thinking it was the caffeine, but you just might be right. *lol*

YatesNightBlade
01-18-2002, 03:05 AM
Italian Food it just the best :) But French food sucks ass. :p ;)

Pup
01-18-2002, 05:42 AM
Italian food and women=ace, French food and french women=not so ace

gino
01-18-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by just_a_pup
Italian food and women=ace, French food and french women=not so ace

French women not so ace???

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR F'ING MIND!?!??!!!!!!!

Go to Quebec city for a night or two, and you'll be having sweet dreams for quite some time...

I was in Quebec city for a week a couple months ago, and when I left, ny neck was sore from twisting around every 10 seconds to look at beautiful frenchies. I spent most of the week walking into things because I was looking behind me so much. lol

ericg
01-18-2002, 06:43 AM

Go to Quebec city for a night or two, and you'll be having sweet dreams for quite some time...

I was in Quebec city for a week a couple months ago, and when I left, ny neck was sore from twisting around every 10 seconds to look at beautiful frenchies. I spent most of the week walking into things because I was looking behind me so much. lol

I second that!! Montreal is awesome as well. When I was under the drinking age here in the US my frineds and I would cross the border to experience the Canadian night life. Wow it was awesome. I plan on going back soon. Everyone is polite as well as good looking. Great place to go. But, like Gino said, if you have any neck problems and/or injuries, I suggest that you stay home, the women are amazing.

YatesNightBlade
01-18-2002, 06:43 AM
I think you was just making sure no French guys were trying to get in your pants. ;)

gino
01-18-2002, 11:33 AM
It's you fricken brits with your "proper english" I'm more worried about. I'll be going to england sometime this summer, but theres no way I'm going without my "BRIT-BLOCKER 5000" underpants on in case one of you frisky brit guys sneaks up behind me...

Now for a totally unrelated topic. Here's what I've eaten so far today:

Meal 1 - 7:00 am
-6 eggs(4 white)
-16 oz skim milk
-orange

Meal 2 - 9:45 am(10:00 meeting, so it had to be fast)
-8oz turkey breast
- slice wheat bread

Meal 3 - 12:45 pm
-2chicken breasts
-1/2 wheat pita
-orange

And here's what my plan is for the rest of the day.

Meal 4 - 4:00 pm
-8oz turkey breast
-1/2 wheat pita

Meal 5 - 7:00 pm(post workout)
-protein shake in
-12 oz grape juice

Meal 6 - 10:00 pm
-8 oz hamburg 90% lean

Meal 7 - 10:30pm - 4:00am
Beer. Amstel Light, of course.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 11:58 AM
thought you were cutting? Amstel is lush. So is san miguel.

get some newcaste brown down yer neck.

where in england you coming?

Paul Stagg
01-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Amstel?

Come ON.

Chigs - 3 newcastles in my fridge... I'll save one for you.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 12:32 PM
"Did you ever know that you're my hero......."

full sized bottles or the american sized ones?

[the full size ones are like a pint and a half i think, but i also beleive that production of them has been seized in favour of a smaller bottle :( I'll just have to buy two each time i go to the bar now :)]

Paul Stagg
01-18-2002, 12:40 PM
American.

I have to decide if my post workout drink is going to be newcastle or a Skyy martini with 3 jalopeno stuffed olives.

Life is hard.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Well, that question is much like choosing squats over preachers, pauly.

One may make you look all good and pretty but the other makes you a man and puts hairs on your chest.

I think you know the right answer.

Come to think of it, the martini may yield some benefit - you need all the help you can get eh? :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 12:46 PM
three jalopeno stuffed olives eh?

That changes the equation considerably.

now we're comparing squats with preachers...using an EZ bar :eek:

Paul Stagg
01-18-2002, 01:12 PM
LOL.

gino
01-18-2002, 01:58 PM
Amstel helps me maintain my dainty figure. If I drink 20 of them, its only like 1600 calories. Quality calories, I might add. I'd rather drink Heineken or Sam Adams, but that adds like 600 more calories to the equation. I'm doing a complete tour of europe for the position I'm being promoted to. The rep in england I'll be travelling with lives in Chester, wherever that is.

I heard people there are molesters. HAHAHAHA not funny.

Hot Shot
01-18-2002, 02:59 PM

Go to Quebec city for a night or two, and you'll be having sweet dreams

so true :D

gino
01-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Hey, someone from QC! Man, your city is the best. My fater's whole family is from there, and I got to visit for the first time a couple months ago. I stayed at the Hilton on boulevard Rene-Levesque. It was great. I worked at a convention in the Palace de Congres(I think that's how it was spelled) right next to the Hilton. We went to the Vodoo Grille, Chez Maurice and a bunch of other great places while we were there. I even hooked up with a girl at Chez Maurice that didn't speak one word of english. My colleague was translating for us. lol I can't even remember how I pulled that one off. I think I was really smooth though - she came up to me at the bar and said something and I said "huh?" Girls fall for that stupid foreigner stuff, I guess.

Hot Shot
01-18-2002, 03:16 PM
yeah ''grande-allée'' street is pretty cool where chez maurice is

gino
01-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Got a stomach virus monday and spent 2 days crapping and puking non-stop. I lost 6 lbs. Dieting was going so well, too. Now I look like a stick figure. Oh well.

YatesNightBlade
01-25-2002, 03:03 AM
BRIT-BLOCKER 5000 ........ LMFAO !!!!

Seriously man. Hull is an hour and a half from Chester, you could come and spread some of your mucky white yankee love p!ss on the wee lassies or Hull. You can stay at mine but let me know coz it will give me time to order the "States Stopper 9000".

gino
01-28-2002, 07:34 AM
lmao, oh sh!t, they came out with the 9000? I heard those have the electronic trap door on the front that will only unlock with a retina scan of your girl(s) eyes. That makes it tough for us flaming yankees. lol

Although I drank nearly a half gallon of skim chocolate milk yesterday and a pound of steak tips, overall it was a much less powerful than usual POWER SUNDAY. I said no to Pizza, cheesy bread, and other assorted Dominos garbage that my roommates chowed all day. I had a great back workout yesterday.

3 sets pull ups
3 sets low cable rows
2 sets weighted hyperextensions
2 sets rear delts on fly machine

Tonight it's arms/abs/calves. Tomorrow morning, sprinting and day off from weight training.

Tryska
01-28-2002, 07:36 AM
fattie.

gino
02-06-2002, 11:42 AM
OK, no more neglect...

Yesterday was a day off. Tonight is LEGS! ARRRGH!!! I'll fill you all in tomorrow on how it goes.

Tryska
02-06-2002, 11:44 AM
:windup:

good luck man.

gino
02-07-2002, 07:03 AM
Workout went well. Again, I changed it up a little on the fly, and found some great exercise combos.

squat
2 warmup
2 working sets

lunge/SLDL superset - I grabbed 80 lb dumbells and did deep alternating lunges to near failure and went right into high rep dumbell SLDLs with the same weight. This was killer.
2 supersets

leg ext/curl superset
2 supersets

I worked out at my college gym last night. I was among younguns who do chest and arms every other day, so it had been a while since they've seen anyone rep out over 300 I'm sure, since they were all staring at me and then down at their chicken legs. There were some skinny kids doing quarter-squats next to me with 215 though. At least they're making some sort of an attempt.

heathj
02-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Hey foo...post your weight on your lifts :)

gino
02-08-2002, 01:14 PM
I'd rather not because it's irrelevant. I will this time just for you though.

-My squat was 345 x 12, 10 - DEEP and SLOW reps.
-Deep lunge was 80 lb dumbells x 10, 8 reps superset with SLDL 18, 15 reps.
-Leg ext/curl with pin on 18 (whatever the fuk that means) x 12, 10 reps. Very slow negative, explosive positive, hold for 2 count at top.

gino
02-11-2002, 01:36 PM
Saturday was back/calves.

Barbell rows
2 warmup
3 working sets beyond failure

Pulldowns - palms facing eachother(in)
3 working sets beyond failure

Rear delts - flye machine
2 sets beyond failure

Calves - leg press
4 sets beyond failure

I'm going to change up my workout split for a change of pace. I've been doing the same split for about 8 months now.

Here's my current split:

Chest/shoulders
Back/calves
arms/abs
legs

Here's my new split:

Chest/abs
back/calves
shoulders/arms
legs

gino
02-12-2002, 06:56 AM
Last night was Shoulders/arms

Front barbell press:
-2 warmup
-3 sets to failure

Side laterals:
-3 sets beyond failure

Barbell curls
-2 warmup
-4 sets beyond failure

Skull crushers
-2 warmup
-4 sets beyond failure

Tonight is legs, a.k.a. pure hell.

gino
02-13-2002, 12:30 PM
I laid down on the couch and slept for 30 minutes as soon as I got home from work yesterday, so I didn't go to the gym. I stayed in and packed down 3 good meals before bed.

6:00
-10 oz porterhouse steak
-spinach salad with balsamic vinegar, olives, and feta

8:00
-Isopure MRP

10:00
-6 eggs(4 whites)
-1 tbsp flax

Tonight I'll be ready for the leg workout.

gino
02-13-2002, 12:34 PM
I have decided to get a puppy this spring. I decided on the rare Presa Canario breed. It's a large, protective, working breed like the Rottweiler. I found a breeder in Delaware planning 2 litters this spring. Here's a couple pics.

gino
02-13-2002, 12:34 PM

Tryska
02-13-2002, 12:40 PM
not half as pretty as a rott but it definitely looks like a sturdy breed.

Chris Rodgers
02-13-2002, 01:45 PM
That dog looks ace!!

gino
02-13-2002, 02:08 PM
That's what I thought. They're like jacked up pitbull/rotties. Males range from 110-140 lbs and presas come in colors like light to dark fawn, tiger brindle, dark brindle, black, and light grey. I have some video tape of them hurdling 7 foot fences and fighting mountain lions and wild boars - swear to god. They're pretty sick dogs. Hopefully I can socialize him with my rottie well. Supposedly, they are very dominant, so they don't like other dominant males. Train them well with a firm hand and command respect/obedience and they are supposed to the one of the best working breeds in the world. They are pretty pricey though. I'll be spending 1500 on my pup.

gino
02-14-2002, 08:45 AM
I just got an e-mail from the breeders. Puppies range from 1800 to 2500 dollars. Damn. Oh well, that won't stop me from buying it.

Last night's leg workout went well.

SQUAT
-2 warmup
-2 heavy sets to near failure - 8, 6 reps

WALKING LUNGES
-70 lb dumbells, 40' distance

LEG CURLS - hammer strength
2 sets beyond failure

LEG EXTENSIONS
2 sets beyond failure

gino
02-14-2002, 08:51 AM
Chest/abs tonight or tomorrow, depending on how I feel tonight. I've been really tired lately, like chronic fatigue tired. I went to bed at 9:00 last night(VERY early for me) and woke up at 5:30 to take a leak this morning. I went back to sleep for another hour because I didn't have to get up until 6:30. I woke up at 7:30 to my alarm going off, as it had been for a full hour without me hearing it. Sitting in my office this morning, I don't feel exhausted, but I don't feel well rested either. Damn it, what's going on?

Tryska
02-14-2002, 08:53 AM
maybe yopur getting sick.

gino
02-14-2002, 12:04 PM
NO! I just got over my stomach virus from 2 weeks ago that kept me home from work 2 days and the nasty cough that kept me up all night and home from work one day last week. NO MORE PLEASE. I am a healthy young stallion in tip top shape. This shouldn't be happening to me. This should only happen to the fat guy next door eating cheesy poofs on the couch or the skinny sickly guy on the steady diet of gummy bears.

Tryska
02-14-2002, 01:39 PM
maybe you need to take it easy then and really let your body mend, and give ti as much sleep as it needs?

gino
02-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Yeah, heavy intense squats probably wasn't the best thing I could have done last night. I even got a bloody nose while squatting, but I think it's just because the air is so dry and I pick my nose a lot. lol

Just kidding, the air isn't that dry.

Tryska
02-14-2002, 02:12 PM
that little tidbit will be filed under "Too Much Information". thanks.

hey your not on of those guys who picks his nose in his car cuz he somehow thinks no one can see him, are you?

gino
02-14-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
that little tidbit will be filed under "Too Much Information". thanks.

hey your not on of those guys who picks his nose in his car cuz he somehow thinks no one can see him, are you?

No, I'm the one who picks his nose everywhere because I don't care what anyone thinks. So, yes and no to your question. lol

Tryska
02-14-2002, 02:42 PM
well okay. i can accept the "i just don't give a f*ck" explanation.

(note to self: do NOT shake gino's hand.)

gino
02-14-2002, 02:50 PM
I do however wash my hands after going to the bathroom. After witnessing how many men don't, you may want to not shake any of our hands.

Tryska
02-14-2002, 02:52 PM
and let me tell you......many WOMEN don't either.

i'm shocked and apalled at the bathroom behavior i've noticed.

Alex.V
02-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Do you piss on your hands?

gino
02-15-2002, 11:44 AM
It's a bathroom. Some people do and then touch the same stuff you're touching. Wash your hands.

Alex.V
02-15-2002, 12:05 PM
I don't use public bathrooms when I can help it. And I wash my hands. But I don't understand the phobia of not washing them occasionally at home. I don't piss on my hands, and most people have much cleaner genitals than hands.

Sorry, I'm gonna stop cluttering your journal. hehe.

Blood&Iron
02-15-2002, 12:10 PM
I do however wash my hands after going to the bathroom. After witnessing how many men don't, you may want to not shake any of our hands.
I call this syndrome "Wang hands." Damn, I see dudes at my gym do that all time, and generally will not so quietly say something like "F*cking dirty ass motherf*cker." Really pisses me off to no end--and I'm a pretty laid-back guy--especially when I go back out into the weight room and seeing them infect the weights with wang.

gino
02-18-2002, 01:37 PM
Chest and abs went well the other day. I went a little heavier than usual and tried being more explosive. I used 105 lb dumbells and got 10 reps the first set. I was pretty shot after that one set, and my next 2 sets were tough. I only managed to get 6 and 5 reps the next 2 sets. Here's how it went:

Flat dumbell bench
2 warmup
3 sets to failure

Incline barbell - smith machine
2 sets to failure - 2nd set was a drop set

Flyes
2 sets

ABS
3 crunch, leglift supersets

I then took friday and saturday off because I had to drive home for a wedding and spend time with my family. I went to the gym last night and did a back workout.

Pullups
3 sets beyond failure

Rows - hammer strength
3 sets beyond failure

Rear Delts
reverse flyes - 1 set to failure

Calves
Hack squat machine - 4 sets to failure

Tonight is shoulders/arms

gino
02-19-2002, 11:42 AM
Shoulders/Arms was an awesome workout last night. I went heavy and hard on all exercises.

Front dumbell press
2 warmup
3 sets to failure - 10,8,5 reps

Side laterals
3 sets beyond failure 15,12,8 reps (including partials)

Alternating hammer curls
3 sets beyond failure 12,8,6,10 reps (last set was less weight)

Overhead single dumbell extensions
I went real heavy here
2 warmups
3 sets to failure 9,7,6 reps (95 lb dumbell with perfect form - heaviest I've done these in a while)

v-bar pressdowns
1 set beyond failure - 13 reps

forearms
reverse barbell wrist curls - 2 sets beyond failure
barbell wrist curls - 2 sets beyond failure.

This was the most pumped I've been after a workout. I looked 20 lbs heavier when I left the gym. It was great.

Tonight is either off or sprints - depends on how my sore calves feel.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-19-2002, 01:07 PM
hey G, what DB's do you hoist up for the press?

gino
02-19-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
hey G, what DB's do you hoist up for the press?

The front press was another exercise that I changed my form on a bit and had to reduce the weight. I bring my elbows down in front of me and try to keep my elbows facing forward through as much of the movement as possible. Doing this allows me to isolate the front delt much better than elbows out to the side. You can feel the difference even without any weight. Put your arm out to the side like you were going to military press some weight and feel your front delt. Now keep your hand on the front delt and bring your elbow in to the front instead. Feel the difference? The front position should stress the front delt much more.

And now that I blabbed about my form, here's the answer to your question - 75lb

Marcel
02-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Tried it. felt the difference. Cool.

gino
02-20-2002, 08:42 AM
Didn't do sprints last night. My calves were too sore. Tonight is legs and I can't wait to squat. Hopefully I don't get a bloody nose this time.

Here's what I ate yesterday(non-workout day):

Meal 1
Isopure MRP
flax

Meal 2
8 oz turkey breast on
2 slices of wheat bread

Meal 3
Chicken breast
8 eggs (6 white)
Oatmeal

Meal 4
Chicken breast
1 can tuna on
1/2 of a whole wheat wrap

Meal 5
Metaform MRP

Meal 6
6oz Steak
broccoli

Meal 7
6 eggs(4 whites)
flax

Here's the rough macronutrient breakdown:
Calories - 2400
Protein - 325g
Carb - 130g
Fat - 60g

p/c/f = 54/23/23

On workout days like today, meals 1-4 will be slightly lower in carbs, and meal 5(post workout meal) will consist of 100g carb shake, bringing the daily totals to approximately:
Calories - 2600
Protein - 325g
Carb - 180g
Fat - 60g

p/c/f = 50/28/22

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-20-2002, 08:48 AM
I like it how you mix proteins in meals 3 + 4.

gino
02-20-2002, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I don't like eating 2 of the same thing. I used to just eat 2 chicken breasts, or a lot of eggs, etc. That got old quick.

gino
02-21-2002, 06:55 AM
Brutal workout last night and slept 8-1/2 hours.

SQUAT
2 warmup
3 sets to failure(well, as close as you can safely get without a spotter...a little too close I think) - 9,7,5 reps

LEG EXT/LEG CURL superset
1 warmup
2 supersets - 16/18, 15/15

I would have done a couple sets of SLDLs too, but my lower back was not feeling up to it after the squats. I gotta start doing lower back work more consistantly.

Yesterday Meal Schedule

6:30
MRP

8 oz turkey on
2 slices of wheat bread

chicken breast
8 eggs(6 white)
oatmeal

chicken breast
1 can tuna on
1/2 of a whole wheat rollup

High carb/whey shake

10 eggs(8 white)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-21-2002, 07:23 AM
you may as well start posting your numbers, cause we're just gonna keep pestering you for them.

gino
02-21-2002, 07:32 AM
No. I'm putting my foot down.

OK, one last time...

Squat - used 345. Went deeper than usual too. I think thats why my lower back got so fatigued. My legs are really tired today, but not yet sore. That means I'm going to be crippled tomorrow. Eating only 2600 calories a day isn't helping, either.

gino
02-22-2002, 06:56 AM
Chest/Abs last night

DUMBELL flat bench
2 warmup
3 sets to failure

BARBELL incline bench
2 sets to failure

FLYES on machine
1 set beyond failure

CRUNCHES weighted incline/flat supersets
2 supersets beyond failure

Progressing nicely on all lifts.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2002, 08:28 AM
you may as well start posting your numbers, cause we're just gonna keep pestering you for them.

gino
02-22-2002, 10:03 AM
No. I'm putting my foot down.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2002, 10:06 AM
I'll put my foot up your ass boy

Tryska
02-22-2002, 10:07 AM
careful gino...i think he's been trying to get at that ass for a while.

gino
02-22-2002, 10:10 AM
As I predicted, I am crippled from my leg workout. Every muscle fiber in my thighs is screaming bloody murder and walking seems to be somewhat of a challenge. I waddle like I've crapped my pants. My secretary asked me what's wrong and I told her I did a leg workout a couple days ago, and she gives me the ole "be careful, it can't be that good for you if it's making you that sore." I just said "I know" because I don't have the patience to try explaining muscle soreness. My lower back is much more sore than usual today, too. I don't think I'll be snowboarding tonight.

gino
02-22-2002, 10:13 AM
CD, you never said that, butthole. Trys, I got my BRIT BLOCKER 5000 boxers on, so I'll be all set.

Tryska
02-22-2002, 10:14 AM
ace. i was just lookin' out or ya.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2002, 10:25 AM
I hear yates has discovered some sort of penetrating antidote to the brit blockers...

Tryska
02-22-2002, 10:26 AM
what a twisted little triad we make.

gino
02-22-2002, 11:16 AM
I hear yates has discovered some sort of penetrating antidote to the brit blockers...

Some sort of tea, I'm sure.

Damn, I was trying to put off getting the BRIT BLOCKER 10,000 underpants, too. Oh well, time to upgrade before I get proper fuked.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2002, 12:20 PM
I understand that the BritBlocker upgrade 10k has several bugs that still need fixing.

an easy hack when you have alcohol-11.3

gino
02-25-2002, 10:50 AM
As most of you already know from my b-day/hangover posts, I had a rough weekend and didn't train. I needed a couple days off anyways, so the timing was perfect. Today, I'm back in the gym with renewed energy for a back workout. I'll be deadlifting for the first time in quite a while, so I'll be going light with high reps. The rest of the upper back workout will be heavy and hard though. Weighted pullups, rows, etc. I'm back into my diet after a couple slack days, as well. Here's what I've eaten so far:

7:30
MRP

10:00
8 oz lean hamburg
2 slices wheat bread

Smoked turkey on
wheat wrap
protein bar

Update for rest of day...

2 chicken breasts
2 slices wheat bread

5:00
orange

post workout high carb/whey shake

9:00
8 jumbo egg whites
flax

sleep

I slept a lot last night - 9 hours

gino
02-26-2002, 07:12 AM
I forgot my belt and straps, so I didn't deadlift yesterday.

PULLUPS - weighted
3 sets beyond failure - 12,8,6 reps

CABLE ROWS
3 sets beyond failure - 14,12,8 reps

Rear delt reverse flyes
2 sets beyond failure

HYPEREXTENSIONS
2 sets - 12,10 reps

CALVES
seated - 2 sets beyond failure
donkey - 2 sets beyond failure

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-26-2002, 09:23 AM
how do you get away with beyond failure training every session?

heathj
02-26-2002, 09:30 AM
He is god.

Chris Rodgers
02-26-2002, 10:21 AM
I thought you were gonna deadlift light? Are you telling me that an ex-powerlifter can't deadlift light without straps? Do you train with Spidey or something? :p

Pup
02-26-2002, 10:42 AM
:evillaugh

gino
02-26-2002, 01:17 PM
how do you get away with beyond failure training every session?

What do you mean "get away" with it? If you're doing a only a few sets per muscle, why wouldn't you be able to? I was able to progress(although much more slowly) doing 20 sets per bodypart for years.

And latman, "light" is 315 for 20 reps. After doing a couple sets of these, I had weighted pullups to look forward to, and then possibly some heavy shrugs with 120 lb dumbells. I don't expect my grip to hold up to that much abuse.

thanks heathj, I totally agree:D

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-26-2002, 02:33 PM
Just with beyond failure training being hard on the CNS.

I used to do it too but recently (ie late last year) started doing to failure training one week and beyond failure the next. Seems to be working well, but if you're progressing then fukin' tits baby!

gino
02-26-2002, 02:57 PM
Well, as you might notice, on some exercises I go beyond failure, and some just before for safety reasons. On pull exercises such as back and bis, I can always go beyond failure. On push exercises, I only go beyond failure on dumbell exercises because I can drop the weight, unlike a barbell, which would usually end up on my chest without a spotter. Most workouts are a combination of both styles, since I usually train alone.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-26-2002, 03:00 PM
ah, you count drop sets as "beyond failure"?

gino
02-26-2002, 03:09 PM
I meant drop the weight literally - on the floor with dumbells as opposed to on my chest with a barbell. Rarely do I ever do "drop sets".

gino
02-27-2002, 06:34 AM
Shoulders/Arms went well last night, although I didn't get an extra rep on the presses as I'd hoped. Reps were like last week.

Dumbell Press
2 warmup

Side Laterals
3 sets beyond failure - 15,10,8 reps

Straight Bar curls
2 warmup
2 sets beyond failure 14,10 reps

Hammer Curls - alternating
2 sets beyond failure - 10,6 reps

Straight Bar skull crushers
2 warmup

Rope pressdowns
1 set to failure - 14 reps

Forearms
curl/reverse curl supersets - 2

Workout summary:
Shoulders - 6 sets (3 front delt, 3 side delt)
Bis - 4 sets
Tris - 4 sets
Forearms - 2 sets

Workout time: 50 minutes

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-27-2002, 07:13 AM
I meant drop the weight literally - on the floor with dumbells as opposed to on my chest with a barbell. Rarely do I ever do "drop sets".

so how do you go beyond failure? you get forced reps and negs etc?

Tryska
02-27-2002, 07:20 AM
just stopped by to let you know my cat was headbutting me all morning.

gino
02-27-2002, 08:25 AM

so how do you go beyond failure? you get forced reps and negs etc?

Well, beyond failure means going beyond the point when you can get a full rep. So if I can't get lockout at the top of my dumbell bench on the 8th rep, I still take the weight down and try for another one anyways. I'll be able to press the weight only half as far next rep. Then I take it down slowly, and I'm done. With curls, I keep going until I can't get a half rep, which is usually several reps after positive failure. Since I train alone, this is why I can only use this method for certain exercises, and with dumbells. You can see how this would be impossible while doing flat barbell bench or squats.

Tryska - sweet. Cats are awesome. My rottie headbutted my door to get into my room this morning. It wasn't latched, but the carpet rubs on the bottom, so it stays shut. He just goes into it head first and you hear his fat head thump it a couple times. He tries it with latched doors sometimes too, but with less luck.

Tryska
02-27-2002, 08:33 AM
baha....which reminds me..my other cat was trying to get into my closet the other day...by standing up and trying to paw at the knob. smart little bastard.

ps - we are not allowed to have closed doors in my house.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-27-2002, 08:36 AM
Ah, so you do partials!

gino
02-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Well, not in the classic sense like I used to do for powerlifting. For powerlifting, partials meant loading up a bar with way more weight than you can do, and doing quarter or half reps. The "partials" I do are more "involuntary partials" because I am trying for a full rep, but failing short of it.

gino
02-28-2002, 07:19 AM
Yesterday I ate very well, except for one meal, which included a protein shake and my last piece of birthday cake. I had to eat it, the edges were getting all crusty and stale. Seriously, I don't like sweets at all, but this was not a cake you can let go to waste. It was from the LaFiorentina bakery - Chocolate with layers of raspberry mousse. Well, it's gone now, so I don't have to see it on the kitchen table evey time I walk through the house.

Tonight will be my favorite workout - LEGS

Muahaahaahahaahahhaaa:evillaugh

I love squatting.

Sebi
02-28-2002, 07:44 AM
Why do you love squatting? Perhaps you could give me a push, because I *ahm* don't really like doing it.

gino
02-28-2002, 08:48 AM
I just like the intensity required to do them and the feeling when the legs and glutes get all pumped up after a couple sets. In my opinion, a big squat is much more impressive than a big bench because there are much fewer big squatters. I'd say less than half the trainers at my gym ever squat. 99% of them bench though. When I first started squatting in high school, I could only squat 185 lbs(I could bench the same) and had the worst set of chicken legs you ever saw. I hated it. Within a year, although my legs were still small, I was squatting over 300 lbs. Now, I can squat 400 for reps and have a nice set of thighs to match the weight. I always had a muscular upper body, but now my thighs are a definite strong point, so I appreciate squatting and the years of bloodshot eyes and nausea involved, for the results they have given me. There's no denying that feeling when you've just finished 3 high intensity sets and you're walking away from the squat rack. It's a sense of accomplishment for me, and I know that the worst/best part of the workout is over.

gino
03-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Slept only 1 hour last night. I'm running on metacuts right now. Too bad, especially considering I had such a great leg workout yesterday. I got an extra rep on the weight I've been using for the 3rd week straight.

gino
03-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Had a great leg workout last night, even though I used the same weight and reps as last week. The last week has been f'ed up for me between sleep, travel, and personal issues so I'm not surprised.

SQUAT
2 warmup
3 sets - 10,8,5 reps

leg curl
3 sets beyond failure

leg ext
2 sets beyond failure

YatesNightBlade
03-08-2002, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Sebi
Why do you love squatting? Perhaps you could give me a push, because I *ahm* don't really like doing it.

Seperates the men from the boys. Hard as hell but the rewards are never ending ........

gino
03-11-2002, 01:32 PM
I overdid it saturday night and feel like crap today. I'm eating well, so I'm feeling better, but I got the sh!ts and my stomach is a little upset. We partied all day at my house and 24 of us took limos to boston. From the bits and pieces I've managed to remember from the night at the roxy, I had a good time, but definitely overdid it. I remember talking to a gorgeous girl too, and I woke up sunday with her number in my pocket, so I'll have to call her tonight and find out how much of an ass I was being. It couldn't have been too bad since I got her number I guess. Training delts/arms tonight.

gino
03-13-2002, 09:58 AM
Legs last night. I switched it up a little and it felt great.

Squat/Hack squat supersets
set 1 - 10/10 reps
set 2 - 8/10 reps

Leg curl - seated
2 sets beyond failure

leg ext
1 set beyond failure

The supersets at the beginning were killer. I could have left the gym after those and been fine.

Some girl at the gym wants me, so not giving her the wrong idea is tough. I want to be nice, but not too nice. I'd been hearing from people that work there that she's been talking about me a lot, and finally her training partner introduced me to her a couple days ago. She's cute and works out all the time, but I'm just not interested. Anyways, last night I'm leaving the gym, saying goodbye to some people, and she yells goodbye to me as I'm walking out the door really loud, trying to make me feel guilty for not saying goodbye to her. Damn it, all I want is to be left alone in the gym because I hate everyone while I'm working out and I feed from that. Oh well, there are worse problems to have I guess.

mr_hand
03-13-2002, 01:52 PM
Gino, lemme see a sample meal day for you. There are too many diets out there.

gino
03-14-2002, 11:01 AM
See page 6 of this journal for a sample day. It stays relatively constant. The order of meals sometimes changes, but the overall food intake for each food rarely does.

Last night was a much needed night off. Tonight I'm back in the gym for a chest/abs workout. Cheated a little at lunch today - there was some pizza in the office, so I had a couple slices. It'll be my only cheat until beer o'clock this weekend, so no biggie...

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Do you still have power sundays if you drink on the weekend?

I it just saturday's you drink? how much do you drink?

gino
03-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Do you still have power sundays if you drink on the weekend?

I it just saturday's you drink? how much do you drink?

Power sundays are only a memory these days... Oh, how fun it was to eat 7000 calories on sunday.

I still drink on the weekends, and eat much better than I used to. I allow myself a couple snacks and/or fat meals on the weekends, but still eat my oatmeal and chicken like usual.

St Patties day killed me. I went to a friend's house at 10 am and started drinking and ripping pipes. At 11:30 we went to the 2nd biggest parade in the country - The Holyoke St. Patties day parade. We were rolling 30 deep and had a bunch of friends in a party house right off the parade street and drank and ate and smoked non-stop for 5 hours. When the end of the parade came near, we left for the Irish pub my friend owns called Mulligans. We drank and played pool there for another 5 hours, and then everyone migrated to my house, where I had a couple barrels chilling on the back deck. We put a good dent in those, and then went to the nudie bar for late night... Needless to say I didn't workout sunday. And I took yesterday off from work.

ericg
03-19-2002, 02:30 PM
u live near holyoke?

gino
03-20-2002, 07:29 AM
Yeah, I live in Springfield

ericg
03-20-2002, 08:28 AM
Dam man. My gf's cousin lives in Holyoke/Chicapee (sp?). We go visit them every once in a while or so. I think we may be going down in June (for someones graduation).

gino
03-20-2002, 10:43 AM
Close - chicopee.

Cool man, where you from in Maine? I have family in waterville.

ericg
03-20-2002, 10:46 AM
Ya born and raised in Lewiston, now that you mention it, i think we have talked about this before. well your family in Waterville.

On a different note: I may shoot you some PM's about football type training in the near future if ya dont mind.

Titan
04-11-2002, 05:52 PM
hey bro...
why dont you post anymore? Your journal was interesting!

gino
04-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Sorry, I let it slide, I know. Not much has changed with the training and diet. I was travelling in Toronto for business and very busy last week, so I only worked out twice. I needed the rest though, because I was coming down with something. I think I have it kicked now, so I started hitting the weights hard yesterday with a leg workout and tonight I'm doing chest/abs. I gotta eat really well this weekend because I drank a shiat load of beer this weekend, not only at night, but all day as well. I feel fat. Gotta go make meal #4 right now - 2 chicken breasts & 1 pack of oatmeal.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Are you still cutting G?

gino
04-17-2002, 07:33 AM
NOW I am... I got a little case of spring fever during the last 2 weeks and let my diet slide a little. Not a lot, but just not eating as well as usual, which is still better than most. This week is tough so far - it's been 85 degrees and sunny, so all I want to do when I get out of work is pop open a cold one and sit on my deck, but I've managed to make it to the gym and avoid the frosty beverages so far.

But today is supposed to be the hottest day of the week and I have a scheduled day off from the gym, so we'll test the will power at 5:00...

ericg
04-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Ya weather these past couple of days have kicked azz!!

Good luck Gino

jock227
04-18-2002, 10:47 AM
post ur pics bro.. sounded like u had a great routine going for a while

gino
04-18-2002, 11:11 AM
quads

gino
04-18-2002, 11:12 AM
side legs

gino
04-18-2002, 11:13 AM
back

gino
04-18-2002, 11:14 AM
front

gino
04-18-2002, 11:15 AM
abs

gino
04-18-2002, 11:28 AM
I had a nice rest day yesterday, and enjoyed some sunshine outside after work. I managed to stay away from the ice cold beer in the fridge too. I stayed up late last night because I had company at the house, so I slept in today and went to work at 11. I feel great. So far today:

Meal 1: 10:30am
6 eggs(4 whites)
16 oz skim milk
flax

Meal 2: 1:00pm
roast beef wrap w/honey mustard, lettuce, tomato
1 oz peanuts

and for the rest of the day...

Meal 3: 4:00pm
1 can tuna on
2 slices wheat bread
small chicken breast

6:00 workout

Meal 4: 7:00pm
Shake:
4 scoops grape ultra fuel(simple & complex carbs)
40g strawberry whey
in water

Meal 5: 9:00pm
10 egg whites
flax

Meal 6: 11:00pm
milk/egg protein shake

BED

gino
04-19-2002, 06:40 AM
Yesterday I had a great workout and ate very well. Here's the workout:

BACK (& rear delts) and CALVES

Pullups - weighted(20 lbs)
-3 sets beyond failure

Low rows - machine
-3 sets beyond failure

reverse flyes - dumbell
-2 sets beyond failure

Seated calf raises
-3 sets beyond failure

Standing calf raises
-2 sets beyond failure

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-19-2002, 06:51 AM
Gino, i like your split trés muchos. Do you still find good delt growth despite essentially hitting them hard three times a week? Do you still regularly progress?

And are your calves starting to respond now?

ericg
04-19-2002, 06:58 AM
Awesome Pics man!!!

MonStar
04-19-2002, 09:12 AM
gino-
Wow man definitely looking ace, no questions asked. Nice trap and back development and all that. Very symmetrical. Looking great. Keep it up bro. :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

gino
04-19-2002, 10:02 AM
Gino, i like your split trés muchos. Do you still find good delt growth despite essentially hitting them hard three times a week? Do you still regularly progress?

And are your calves starting to respond now?

I assume you're talking about the rear delts right? When else do I hit them? The reason I moved them to back day is so that I would only hit them hard once a week. Progression is going very nicely.

My routine philosophy is like this: I start off each workout with the same exercise each week. For instance, I've started off every chest workout with flat dumbell press for the last 7-8 weeks. My goal is to keep using the same weight every week until I can get 12 reps with it unassisted on the first set. Once I get 12 reps, I bump the weight up the next workout and work with that weight until I reach 12 reps... I just started doing this, and I find that it works very well both physically AND mentally. I have a defined and very specific goal. My goal is not "to somehow bench 50 lbs more than right now in 6 months" but rather, "get 12 reps on my first set with the weight I'm using right now as soon as possible." 8 weeks ago, for dumbell press, I started off with 90 lb dumbells for 10 reps. In only a couple weeks, I got the 12 reps, so I moved up to 95 lb dumbells for the next workout. 3 weeks later, I achieved the 12 rep mark, so 2 workouts ago, I grabbed 100 lb dumbells. I failed just before lockout on the 11th rep on tuesday, so I expect to get 11 full reps next week.

90 lb dumbells for 10 reps to 100 lb dumbells for 11 reps in 8 weeks is pretty good progression for someone who has been training as long as I have.

The calves are still a weak point, but I'm finding some success with the routine I'm doing now - starting off with seated and then going to donkey or standing calf raises. I've noticed some improvement during the last month or so.

Thanks for the compliments. I wanted to create a link to my pics post for Jock227, but I wasn't sure how to do it, so I copied them here.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-19-2002, 11:03 AM
I was on about delts in general actually man. ie hitting them on chest day, back day and shoulder day. I was just curious whether you were still getting good delt growth despite this.

gino
04-19-2002, 12:29 PM
I was on about delts in general actually man. ie hitting them on chest day, back day and shoulder day. I was just curious whether you were still getting good delt growth despite this.

Well, different heads are hit on different days. I can perform a shoulder workout without much of any significant stimulation to my rear delts. Sure, some stimulation is inevitable, but it's not enough to fatigue or pump them. Taking that into consideration, I "hit" the rear delts once a week on back day. The medial head is stimulated somewhat on most push and pull exercises, but the only significant stimulation takes place on shoulder day. I don't feel that they are fatigued to any noticeable degree on chest or back days. So, in my opinion, I still think I only "hit" them hard once a week on shoulder day. And for the front delt, well the only way to hit them once a week is to combine chest and shoulder workouts. Although I have refined my bench form over the years to maximize stress on the pecs and minimize stress on the other supporting muscle groups, I won't deny that they do get some decent stimulation on chest day, especially during inclines. I did shoulders with chest for about 6 months last year during my push/pull/legs split and didn't find it any more or less beneficial than doing them seperately.

Honestly, I'd say that other than my thighs, my shoulders are my most improved bodypart during the last year. Sometimes while I'm at the gym with a tanktop on, the area where the delt ties in with the upper arm surprises me if I see it in the mirror. It didn't look like that a couple years ago, but now I'm pretty proud of the gains I've made.

ericg
04-19-2002, 12:57 PM
Dam must only take you a half hour in the gym on Back/R. Delt/Calve day??

gino
04-22-2002, 09:58 AM
Most workouts take about 45 minutes. I usually do some deads or hyperextensions on back day too, but my lower back was sore, so I didn't do them. That saved me 10 or 15 minutes, so yeah that workout was only like 30 minutes.

gino
04-23-2002, 10:47 AM
After taking the weekend off, I hit the gym hard yesterday, blasting through a leg workout. I squatted heavier than usual, doing a couple low rep sets with 375 lbs. Here's what I did last night:

SQUAT
-3 warmup
-2 working sets - 6, 5 reps

SLDL
-2 working sets

LEG CURL/EXTENSION SUPERSET
-2 sets

Tonight will be a chest/abs workout.

ericg
04-24-2002, 08:57 AM
Why dont you post the weights?

gino
04-24-2002, 12:08 PM
Well, this time I posted the weight I used for squats, but I usually don't post weights because I feel it's irrelevant when I'm taking sets to absolute failure. What's the difference in how the muscle is worked from person to person if everyone is going to absolute failure? Nothing. Whether you're using 100, 200, or 300 lbs, absolute failure = absolute failure. HOW you work the muscle is more important than the weight used.(i.e.- to failure vs 3 sets of 8) My goals aren't directly poundage oriented. My goals translate into increased poundages, but are more "rep progression" oriented. I use the same weight week in and week out until I can get 12 unassisted reps with that weight. Then, I bump up the weight and repeat the process. I guess I just have a different way of looking at a workout - I don't define my workout by the poundage I handle, but rather by the intensity and rep progression over the last workout. However, I will start posting more poundages to make the curious folks happy.

Last night I did a chest/abs workout:

Flat Dumbell Press
-2 warmups
-2 sets to absolute failure with 100 lb dumbells 11(+), 8(+) reps

Incline Barbell Press
-2 sets to positive failure with 205 lbs(12, 10 reps)

Cable Crossover
-2 sets to absolute failure

Leg Raises
-2 sets to absolute failure

Incline Crunches(weighted)
-2 sets to failure

Trunk Twists w/20 lb medecine ball
-1 set (don't count, just go till it burns)

ericg
04-24-2002, 12:59 PM
Cool man, I was just wondering how much you were lifting. I like your method though, makes sense to me.

Nice job man.

One thing you should do is note when you bump up the weights (once you get those twelve reps) just curious to see how much you add, and all that good stuff.

Hope I didnt upset you :)

gino
04-24-2002, 01:29 PM
I'm pissed.

lol

ericg
04-24-2002, 02:01 PM
lol, when my lifts start to faulter I may steal your program.

Blood&Iron
04-24-2002, 02:23 PM
Well, this time I posted the weight I used for squats, but I usually don't post weights because I feel it's irrelevant when I'm taking sets to absolute failure. What's the difference in how the muscle is worked from person to person if everyone is going to absolute failure? Nothing. Whether you're using 100, 200, or 300 lbs, absolute failure = absolute failure. HOW you work the muscle is more important than the weight used
<snip>
I guess I just have a different way of looking at a workout - I don't define my workout by the poundage I handle, but rather by the intensity and rep progression over the last workout. However, I will start posting more poundages to make the curious folks happy.

I feel pretty much the same way. But I look at it this way: if you really don't care then you should have no problem posting your lifts. My poundages suck and I'm sure most of the people on these boards think I'm incredibly weak--although I think I'd surprise more than a few of them if they actually saw how the lifts were performed. People can think whatever they want. I see guys in my gym lift far more weight than me all the time. Watching them I'm generally horribly underwhelmed by the form and ROM they use. Sometimes I talk to one of these guys and almost invariably they will say they use good form with a complete ROM. If people are reading my journal I figure they should see EVERYTHING. What I find really odd are the journals where guys post huge poundages for one exercise and then if, on some other exercise, they don't use much weight, they just sorta leave the # off. Uhh, okay...

Alex.V
04-24-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

What I find really odd are the journals where guys post huge poundages for one exercise and then if, on some other exercise, they don't use much weight, they just sorta leave the # off. Uhh, okay...

If you're referring to my concentration curls, I have one thing to say:

:p

Blood&Iron
04-24-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Belial

If you're referring to my concentration curls, I have one thing to say:

:p
Nope, not specifically. I've noticed this in a bunch of journals, not just yours. Plus 45lb concentration curls are fairly heavy IMO.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-24-2002, 05:19 PM
What is the difference between your annotation of "positive" and "absolute" failure?

gino
04-25-2002, 07:43 AM
Positive failure is to the point where you can barely complete your last FULL rep - there's no way you could possibly get another one, so you stop.

Absolute failure is going beyond positive failure. You know you can't get another full rep, but you try anyways and get a 3/4 rep and then you go for another rep and only get a 1/2 rep, etc... While benching(dumbells) I usually only try for one or two reps beyond positive failure, but with an exercise like bicep curls, I can get several.

"But I look at it this way: if you really don't care then you should have no problem posting your lifts. My poundages suck and I'm sure most of the people on these boards think I'm incredibly weak--although I think I'd surprise more than a few of them if they actually saw how the lifts were performed."

***Like I said though, I don't look at my workouts the same as the average joe, so weight used is not how I define my workout. Weight is not the first thing that comes to mind, so I don't post it because I don't think of it. I have friends who say "Yeah I benched today...I worked out with 275..." OK great, but WTF does that mean? Did you go to failure? Did you do 2 reps? 10 reps? Is your form still sh!tty like the last time I watched you bench? These are the more important things to me. Then they ask me what I "work out with" and I say I used 235 the last time I benched and they seem thoroughly unimpressed... What they don't realize is that I did 12 fuking perfect reps with it and went to failure all 3 sets with that weight. Sure, I could put 300 on the bar and bounce a couple reps off my chest and tell everyone I work out with 300, but that would be gay. lol

Anycrap, as I stated before, I'll start posting my poundages to make the curious folks happy, but I'll more than likely forget every now and again... I'm sure you'll all remind me though... lol

gino
04-26-2002, 12:54 PM
Here's my wednesday workout:

Back

Pullups(weighted 20 lbs)
-3 sets beyond failure

Hammer strength rows
-3 sets beyond failure

Bent over reverse flyes
-2 sets to failure

*lower back was sore from monday squats, so did nothing to work it. Usually do calves with back, but I was at a gym that didn't have any calf equipment I like, so I decided to postpone.

Last night I enjoyed a great night off from the gym. I rested a lot, stretched, and did groceries.

Tonight is a shoulders/arms workout.

gino
04-30-2002, 07:51 AM
After another fun weekend filled with blunts and stoli-raspberry cocktails, I got back to serious training last night, starting off the week with a nasty leg workout.

SQUATS
-2 warmup
-3 working sets @ 335 lbs (10,9,5 reps)
all reps were deep and slow, especially the last set - 6-7 second negatives

SLDL w/dumbells
-1 set of 15 w/90 lb db - glutes and hams were really burning on the last few reps

Leg ext/curl supersets
-2 sets, reps ranging from 10 - 15

I got very nautious during the supersets at the end. It's been a while since this happened, but the fresh air outside made me feel better when I was finished with my workout. After working out(7:00), I went home and had my high carb/whey shake and took a nap. I woke up after an hour and cooked up a juicy 12oz steak that has been marinating in teriyaki sauce for 3 days. I ate the steak just before 10:00 and went to bed. I didn't sleep well last night - I think my body was still on the weekend up all night clock. Tonight I will train chest/abs.

ericg
04-30-2002, 09:38 AM
The steak sounds yummy!!!

Nice work on the squats man, 6-7second negs; nice, very nice

gino
04-30-2002, 09:47 AM
It was great. I had a little spinach with balsamic vinegar too.

MonStar
04-30-2002, 10:15 AM
SQUATS
-2 warmup
-3 working sets @ 335 lbs (10,9,5 reps)

Awesome strength here man. Really really looking good. My squat goal is 385 for 4, and today I am going for 370 for as many as I can get, wish my luck! Hopefully Ill get at least 4-5. :):)

MS

gino
04-30-2002, 12:37 PM
Good luck bro. If you noticed at the top of this page, my last workout was a heavier workout, similar to the weights you're using. I usually like to do higher reps, but last week for some reason, I couldn't resist piling the weight on. Squats are the best. My legs feel so full and tight today. Tomorrow will suck, but right now it's great.

MonStar
04-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Damn I didnt realize you were squatting 375 for 6 and 5 reps. :eek::eek: Thats awesome man keep it up. Great strength dude. Hehe yeah man squats are fun. I like them a lot. I used to hate them and prefer leg presses - now I hate leg presses and like squats.

MS

gino
04-30-2002, 07:35 PM
Yeah, squats are so rewarding. If you put in the effort, you WILL get the results.

MonStar
04-30-2002, 07:47 PM
gino-
Yeah man I havnt really done them consistently like really intensely for around 2-3 years. Maybe even more than that actually I always hated squats so much. Now I am loving them! Today I did 370 for 10.5 reps! New record for me, check out my journal. I always hear that squats are "full-body builders" etc. Those and deads. I am not doing full ROM deads but I am doing rack pulls, from knee level. So I hopefully I am getting the best of both worlds. :):)

MS

gino
05-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Chest/Abs went well last night. I failed half way through my 12th rep on the first exercise, but I'll get it next week and then be able to bump the weight up for the following workout. So close...

Flat Dumbell Press
-2 warmup
-2 sets beyond failure - 100 lb dumbells (11+, 8+ reps)

Incline barbell press
-2 sets to near failure - 10, 8 reps

Cable flyes
-2 sets beyond failure

Leg lift/Stability ball crunch Supersets
-2 supersets beyond failure

ericg
05-01-2002, 11:37 AM
nice work man!!

you doing any football type agility/cardio training at the mo??

gino
05-01-2002, 11:46 AM
UPDATE - Had bodyfat done last night and I'm down to 8.5% from 10% 8 weeks ago, when I posted my latest pictures. I decided to have it checked when I saw what appeared to be a small vein poking through on the abs... Everything is falling into place just as I had hoped and planned. I'm slowly losing bodyfat and steadily gaining strength and maintaining bodyweight. Since the beginning of march I've lost 3 lbs of fat, but only lost 2 lbs of bodyweight(199 to 197), and I'm stronger so I'm very happy. I'll continue this gradual bf% decline for maybe one more percent, going no lower than 7% and 195 lbs. I'm currently 8.5% @ 197. Once I lose a little more fat, I'll see how long I can maintain the low bf% - I'll hopefully be able to do it all summer. That's my physique goal.

gino
05-01-2002, 11:49 AM
As far as cardio or agility/football training goes, I usually only play basketball on one of the weekend days, or sprint once during the week. I don't do much of any "cardio" in the typical training sense with regards to bodybuilding.

MonkeyBoy
05-01-2002, 02:19 PM
I'm jealous...I suck !

IronGiant
05-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Hey Gino, you mentioned some time ago that you lived somewhere off of bradley street near WNEC, My buddy is throwing a killer bash right on bradley st. on friday night, i'll be there.

Oh ya. I'm moving to forrest park in like a week, and am going to relocate gyms. got any info on the Worlds on sumner or the golds across from the Big E????

awsome Journal man, keep it up!!

gino
05-02-2002, 07:16 AM
Why do you suck monkeyboy?

IG - Yeah, I live on Keddy st, on the WNEC end of Bradley rd. The Worlds Gym on Sumner is OK. Some of the stuff is old and not in the best condition though. I know the guy who owns it - Gerald. The west springfield golds is decent, especially since it's open 24 hours during the week now. I like my golds in springfield better, but the hours aren't as good. Forest park is a great location - close to downtown, close to the highway, and Taco Bell right down the street - I'm there every sunday around 1:00 for some good hangover food. lol

Last night was a great back(rear delt)/calves workout.

Weighted pullups - 3 sets beyond failure
Machine rows - 3 sets beyond failure
reverse flyes - 2 sets to failure
hyperextensions - 2 sets to failure
calf raises(hack sqt machine) - 4 sets beyond failure

MonkeyBoy
05-02-2002, 10:02 AM
Because I am not where I want to be as far as my training/diet goes. Actually my training is good, my diet is the weak part.

gino
05-02-2002, 11:21 AM
Well, at least you recognized your weakness. Now it's time to take action, and get that diet on track. What's holding you back? No will power?

ericg
05-02-2002, 11:43 AM
ya man, there is no better time to start then now. you will love the benefits, but it is a lifestyle, gotta stick with it.

MonkeyBoy
05-02-2002, 03:21 PM
The funny thing is I do have will power. People are shocked at the ability I have to not eat the crap they do. I think my problem is confusion. For example should I cut carbs to lose BF should I do cardio, should I not do cardio, should not worry about carbs and keep my calories low. See what I am saying? Also consistency is sometimes an issue. I can easily keep my diet clean during the week but the weekends are hard.

gino
05-07-2002, 08:18 AM
Had a nice weekend. I went to a bodybuilding competition on saturday. My mother competed and took 3rd place in the lightweight division. It was just her, my dad, my roommate, and I there to see her, so I helped out backstage as much as I could. Every extra set of hands and ears you can get helps because there are so many announcements to listen to. Seeing the men on stage really made me envious. In the shape I'm in now, I could have done OK. I wouldn't have placed in the top three(light heavyweight), but I would have been closer to the front of the pack than the back, that's for sure. A guy I know from high school took second place. He was 260 lbs a few months ago, and dieted down to 198 lbs for the contest. He lost some muscle mass while dieting, but he could have never placed in the heavyweights. These guys were ripped at 220-250 lbs.

Then sunday, I went car shopping. My lease is up in 9 months, so I'm starting to look now. It'll be a tough decision. I went to Lexus and checked out the GS300 and the IS300. I really liked the look and feel of the IS300 and the price. It drove really smooth for a small sporty car and it has 215 hp, plenty for such a small car. I went to Toyota and checked out the 4 Runner ltd. ed. That's a great truck too, at about the same price as the IS300. (35K) Then I checked out the Used Import lot that my friend owns. There were some nice 2000 BMW540s there for 35-40K. That's my favorite car, but I can't get a warranty on a used one from that lot. I'd have to get one from a BMW lot to get a warranty, and even on the used ones, that'll add at least 5K to the price. Well, I have plenty of time to think about it...

Last night I did legs. My right knee felt a little tender around the knee cap for some reason. I'd start off a set and about half way through the set it would start hurting. It was strange - not even like a tendon strain, but rather the soreness was centered right on my kneecap. I found that I could go heavy, and if I kept the reps low, my knee would not hurt. Strange... So I piled the weight on and did doubles until I reached 425. I did a nice ass-to-heels double with 425. Here's how it went...

SQUAT
-2 warmups
-325 x 10 (after 5 reps - ouch)
-365 x 2
-385 x 2
-405 x 2
-425 x 2

LEG CURLS - seated
-2 sets beyond failure

LEG EXT
-2 sets beyond failure

It was a good workout, but my legs definitely did not feel as wobbly as they do after 10-12 rep squats with lighter weight. I much prefer the higher rep sets. We'll see how it feels next week. Tonight is chest/abs, and then cleaning my filthy bedroom. I don't know which will be tougher. lol

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Do you not like the BMW Z3?

How about a McClaren F1?

Or a groovy james bond style Austin Martin.

Or an Austin Powers Shaguar :D

ericg
05-07-2002, 11:15 AM
Nice squatting man!!

gino
05-07-2002, 11:38 AM
Do you not like the BMW Z3?

How about a McClaren F1?

Or a groovy james bond style Austin Martin.

Or an Austin Powers Shaguar :D

All cheap pieces of crap. ;)

I do however plan on checking out Jaguars. They're one of my favorites.

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-07-2002, 01:18 PM
It took a while for that winking smiley to come up there. I was seriously gonna rip you another asshole until it appeared lol.

"old skool" jag design or the newer series?

gino
05-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Although I do prefer the 87-97 x-series jaguar style, I'd now be looking at the newer 00-02 s-style Jags.

Having two assholes would be totally sweet.

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-07-2002, 02:57 PM
Nah, you'd have two asses to wipe. That would be a pain.

MWB
05-07-2002, 03:31 PM
Damn, what do you do for a living to afford those gino? I'm farting along in a 94 nissan altima, but hell it's paid for. Maybe when I get my degree this winter things will turn around.

gino
05-08-2002, 07:57 AM
Nah, you'd have two asses to wipe. That would be a pain.

...or killer sweet tubular. You could fart in stereo.

MWB - Up until 2 years ago I was driving a rusty 1988 jeep with the front bumper half ripped off and a smoked clutch, so believe me, I've come a long way. I managed to land a great job in a great company when I got my degree in "99, and worked my way to upper management as of this month, when I got my promotion that put a whole business unit under my control (scary isn't it?). I've really busted my ass getting to where I am, and now I get to indulge in some of the toys I never could afford. With regards to work, I've found a really good philosophy to apply to work. With work, most people either do things the right way, or the fast way. I try to do things the right way, fast. Pretty simple really.

Last night I did chest/abs @ the gym. Went well, but dumbell reps did not progress.

Flat Dumbell press
-2 warmup
-2 sets beyond failure (11+, 8+ reps)

Incline barbell press
-2 sets to failure (11, 9 reps)

Flyes - machine
-2 sets beyond failure

Hanging leg raises
-2 sets beyond failure

Incline crunches
-2 sets to failure

flat crunches
-1 set

MWB
05-08-2002, 09:48 AM
Congrats on your success. That's a good philosophy you have and I tend to be the same way. I'm busting my ass to become a graphic artist, working hard on a portfolio and making the Deans list at school every quarter. Hopefully this time next year I'll be in with a company, because that's when my student loan's will kick in :)

gino
05-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Nice. I get to do some graphic design in my job too. It's a lot of fun. I come up with packaging and merchandising concepts and do all of the artwork for my company's packaging. Getting to use your individual creativity is fun.

I'll update my journal tomorrow. I'm too blunted right now.

Marcel
05-08-2002, 10:10 PM
*bops head*

Hey Gino wazzup? When you do dumbell press do you keep your elbows out throughout the whole rep? What I mean is like you would on a barbell bench press?

The reason I ask this is because today while I was doing slight decline db press like this http://www.ast-ss.com/training/exercises/chest/decline_dumbbell_press.asp kinda of like forming an "A" and Rudy (trainer at my gym old dude built and used to be a bodybuilder. He still has this fricken Arnold chest though!) told me to keep my elbows out. That by doing that "A" form i was using too much shoulder and not enough chest. So he shows me the range of motion that he wants me to use(like a bb bench form with elbows out at all times) and it was harder. I had to go down in db weight to get it perfect form.

Anyways just wondering what you think of this...i mean with the "A" form I can use heavier dumbells but with the elboes out form like bb bench I use less weight...what gives? Thanks Gino.

gino
05-09-2002, 08:04 AM
I find that the closer my elbows are in, the more shoulder and tricep I use to do a press movement. I like to keep my elbows out to the side in a comfortable position, which for me happens to be just about perpandicular to my body. I feel that although I may not be able to press the most weight this way, I am targeting my chest better and minimizing the stress on the tris and shoulders, both of which I train on a different day. However, my goal is not to simply press as much weight as possible, but rather my goal is to press as much weight using as much of the target muscle group as possible. Although I don't do decline press, it seems like it would be a tough exercise to put your elbows out with. However, the trainer was right when he said you are using more shoulder with the elbows in. My suggestion would be to find chest exercises that you can best target the chest with. Decline press may not be the best choice, but that's all individual preferance, I guess... With regards to working out, my philosophy is to never sacrifice form for more weight - I do things a certain way and will never comprimize that to put a few extra pounds on the bar.

Yesterday I did a back(rear delts)/calves workout:

Pullups - weighted (20 lbs)
-3 sets beyond failure (11+, 8+, 6+ reps)

Rows - palms facing in, lying down chest first on pad
-3 sets beyond failure (13+, 10+, 9+ reps)

Shrugs/reverse flyes superset
-2 supersets to failure

hyperextensions - completely horizontal
-3 sets (12, 12, 10 reps)

Seated calf raises
-2 warmup sets
-2 working sets (4 plates x 13, 11 reps)

Standing calf raises
-2 sets beyond failure (12+, 10+ reps)

GREAT workout. Also felt pretty good because the owner of the gym, who is a former Mr America, gave me a complement, which are few and far between from him. He asked if I was getting ready for a contest because I looked a lot leaner than a few months ago. This is coming from a guy who would do my bodyfat and tell me I was a couple percent higher than I really was so that if I let him train me, he could do my bodyfat and take credit for the loss in bodyfat, so I'd never want to train without him. He's a sneaky little salesman.

ericg
05-09-2002, 09:25 AM
LOL @ former Mr A, hahaha

Marcel
05-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Thanks Gino. I will press with elbows out perpendicular to my body now also since I too target tri's and shoulders on different days to chest. I'm also going to try flat and slight incline to see how that goes by keeping my elbows out perpendicular to my body. Anyways laterz. :cool:

gino
05-10-2002, 03:00 PM
A couple pictures taken last night. Still losing that bodyfat...

gino
05-10-2002, 03:04 PM
another

gino
05-10-2002, 03:12 PM