PDA

View Full Version : Denim or Poly for a Reverse Grip Bencher??

floridaOwl62
08-23-2009, 05:17 PM
I need some solid advice from those of you out there with great knowledge and experience.... I am pondering a switch to a denim bench shirt and was wondering if it will benefit me more than my Inzer Phenom 2 ply? since I am a a reverse grip bencher and keep my elbows fairly close??

Any solid experience advice is welcome!!!:read:

Travis Bell
08-23-2009, 06:22 PM
why do you bench reverse grip?

douglasoh5
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Apparently he doesnt want to bench that much

KarlMarx
08-24-2009, 02:37 PM
_____

floridaOwl62
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Where have you folks been?... . hiding in the closet of a Jenny Craig Clinic?...never heard of reverse grip benching.....ever heard of Anthony Clark?....shoulder surgery lead to that style.. which actually takes a lot of pressure off your joints......so...575lb reverse grip is not that much.. you try it.. then come tell me.:hello:

Travis Bell
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Man cool down.

I know exactly what reverse grip benching is, but guess what, it's very ineffective in a shirt. So dial back the attitude a little.

Some people cannot bench regular style because of shoulder injuries or pec injuries, that's why I asked. If you had either of those I'd have understood and I wanted to know that before I gave any advice

floridaOwl62
08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
That's why I came here.. not to get some sarcastic smart remarks.....I've viewed enough here to see there are always 'smart butt's '......I've used bench shirts previously... I know my limitations.. .. but I do want to make a solid choice based on experience...

Travis Bell
08-24-2009, 03:48 PM
So do you bench reverse grip for a physical reason?

If not, I really recommend you start learning how to bench regular. Reverse grip isn't allowed in most feds anyways. The shirt will protect your pecs and shoulders anyways.

If you can learn how to bench regular style, it'll still depend on your style of benching. Some people are speed type benchers who will do better in the Phenom, others like Greg Panora tend to do better in the denim shirts.

floridaOwl62
08-25-2009, 04:10 AM
Yes the APF does allow reverse grip benching along with several other organizations and local meets.....I'm not out for a record.. just to improve myself and what I can do...Rotator cuff surgery for me sealed the regular benching style... it was the reverse grip that allows me to bench yet not suffer the shoulder stress of a regular grip bench...that's why I do it and will stay with it.....I just can not bench in the conventional manner without pain.....I've always used reverse grip benching as a method to work my triceps so it seemed natural.. after viewing Anthony Clark and studying other benchers... the style of tucking the elbows when the bar lowers is not that far from a reverse grip.. my elbows are tucked the entire decent time.....I realize it's not the most glorious manner to bench.. but sometimes in life you got to take what you have and build on it.... there are too many that will say.." It can't be done... a bench shirt is useless in that style."....or " You'll never bench much weight"....nothing like someone telling you what you can not do that will motivate you to suceed!!.. I just go down the road and look at big Jim Hoskinson.....the perfect example!!....don't ever let someone stop you.. you can stop yourself. if you quit!!... I don't!.... sure... I realize my limitations and huge benches... never will be a part of it....but personally.. I grin and smile when nay-sayers are baffled... after all.. if it were easy. the gym would be full of people.....after 27 years of winning in bodybuilding and power lifting.. I have come to reach that point where I know my place.. and don't mind staying there!! ahha..

I just wanted some serious advice about the denim versus poly approach?. which shirt offers the most competitve advantages and why??

There you go... so if anyone can add some positive to my originial question. great... if you can't add .. but just flap negative... it goes in one ear. and out the other!..:read:

Travis Bell
08-25-2009, 04:46 AM
The elbow position may be similar but the bar position and it's angle in relation to your elbows won't be the same.

Anthony Clark didn't wear a shirt to my knowledge.

I hear what you're saying, but in my opinion, benching reverse grip in a shirt is a huge accident waiting to happen.

I'm not sure which would be a better shirt because I don't know how you bench, like I stated above, different shirts fit different styles of benchers. There isn't a one shirt fits all types out there.

evilxxx
08-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Well this is interesting...I have done Raw reverse grip (back years ago) and I remember the bar coming really low ,almost like a belly bench. So i would think any shirt design that would keep you on that low groove would be the best. I dont have denim experience but seems that most guys that use denim the bar comes down closer to the top of their abs.

evilxxx
08-25-2009, 09:10 AM
The elbow position may be similar but the bar position and it's angle in relation to your elbows won't be the same.

I hear what you're saying, but in my opinion, benching reverse grip in a shirt is a huge accident waiting to happen.

I'm not sure which would be a better shirt because I don't know how you bench, like I stated above, different shirts fit different styles of benchers. There isn't a one shirt fits all types out there.

Actually Clark did wear shirts, Inzer if i remember correct.

blownby
08-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Many that have shoulder issues can/only bench heavy in a shirt cause it saves their shoulders.

Have you tried a shirt with a regular grip?

floridaOwl62
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM

What factual basis do you have for stating it's a huge accident waiting to happen??....let me hear you expound why you make such a statement?

barbell01
08-25-2009, 03:11 PM
in his OPINION it's a huge accident waiting to happen, dude, you will be throwing the bar back toward your face and your fingers will be on the wrong side of the bar! IDK, have you tried this before? i dont even know if a shirt will help, your elbow are tucked the whole time when your reverse grip....

evilxxx
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Actually, Travis is correct about it been an accident waiting to happen, But i guess if someone develop benching strength from day 1 with reverse grip they might be on the safe side as their body is used to that. I had a bar with 275 hit me on my rib cage on my right side doing reverse grip back in 01. it was drifting towards my belly too much and i tried to "curl " towards my chest and i didnt have the thumb strength to hold it.

Travis Bell
08-25-2009, 04:22 PM
What factual basis do you have for stating it's a huge accident waiting to happen??....let me hear you expound why you make such a statement?

LOL sorry man, I'm not trying to bust your balls, I'm just telling you why I think it's a mistake. You asked for people's opinion, so that's what I'm giving.

Bench shirts are designed to be used with a regular grip. Using reverse grip uses the complete opposite forearm and wrist angle, which will effect the way the shirt grooves on the way down.

Secondly, when you get to the bottom, if you dump the weight, it's going to throw it right towards your face. I'd much rather have a weight hit my belly than my face personally, but I'm ugly enough as it is so I can't afford any more negative assets on my face.

NickAus
08-25-2009, 05:21 PM
in his OPINION it's a huge accident waiting to happen, dude, you will be throwing the bar back toward your face and your fingers will be on the wrong side of the bar! IDK, have you tried this before? i dont even know if a shirt will help, your elbow are tucked the whole time when your reverse grip....

Yep, one big thing is your fingers are on the wrong side of the bar to stop it rolling onto your face.
If your shirt locks up on the way down you could put yourself in more danger than with a normal grip.

floridaOwl62
08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
No need to beat a dead horse here.. I didn't ask for OPINIONS.. I asked for SOLID KNOWLEDGE BASED ON EXPERIENCE.....there is a difference...but thanks for the response just the same....

to those who did not read.. I have already accomplished 575 with an Inzer Phenom 2 ply.. I was merely polling for experience lifters to respond with the poly versus denim issue.. ..

I'll just continue to experiment and see what happens.....

Thanks.. and much success to you all.:hello:

douglasoh5
08-25-2009, 06:56 PM
I would say the phenom would be the best choice...just mess around with the jackedness of it and maybe get one with a few mods and so forth...are you the big black dude that squats 1100? and trains with lester down there?

floridaOwl62
08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks... yes that's what I am getting from several benchers.. the phenom would provide the best.. which is what I was using.. in a 2ply..so I do know it works...now just a matter of dialing it in as much as it will allow...Time to 'experiment' now....

Nope.. afrad not... I am just the regular old guy...who likes to work out and stay fit...at 47 yoa and 270lbs at 6ft1.. it's not easy.. but I enjoy it...benching is just something for me..never have and never will be anything to make anyone sit up and take notice.....but personally it's dang fun..I admire and respect you big guys kicking the heavy weight around like it's feathers.... .haha.....what the heck... you get some surgery.get some sheet metal screws and piano wire and bingo.. you are back up and running.....it's better to wear out. than to rust out.. I guess?.. haha.

It's all good to me.... eat well.. take great care of yourself... strive to do well to others.. and you're going to die just the same.. haha...so why not die happy... if the freakin bar dumps on my head.. then at least I will die happy!!!. haha:drooling:

mattdunkin
08-26-2009, 01:32 AM

I guess I'm feeling old here but Anthony definitely wore a shirt-he grew-up in the Houston area and was one of my heroes as a youngster.From his days benching with a regular grip to reverse benching he wore a shirt-always Inzer.Anthony said that he switched to a reverse grip because God told him,but in reality he did so because he had torn both pecs.Anthony's pre-training meal was either 2 double Whoppers or double Quarter Pounders w/cheese and large fries placed on top of each burger and he'd walk in the gym eating the last one usually!I was really sad to hear when Anthony had passed-away,the world and our sport lost a great man when he did.