PDA

View Full Version : advice needed for new subjunior lifter

walkerxsan
08-23-2009, 10:31 PM
okay so i've always been a bit of a gymhead, but i've decided to get more serious about it recently, and my new PRs mean i could do decently in powerlifting competitions. i do everything raw, except for gloves. i've never eaten redmeat, but i eat around 100-150g a day of protien, plus when i'm training i'm on creatine and might try some animal pak supplements.

i'm the only one i know who trains, so i need to rely on kind people on forums for advice XD so could anyone answer some (hopefully) simple questions?

1) i was considering routine that involved 5x5 of competition lifts and 4x8 for isolation exercises, with the days going bench, squat, break, deadlift, bench, two-day break for weekend. i've done benchpress for much longer than the other two, so i didn't feel any issues with training twice a week before, but i'm wondering if 5x5 of main lifts as well as maybe 3 isolation exercises would be too much?

2) what exercises should i be doing for deadlift? i'm switching to sumo, i did the classic with hypertension in my hamstrings and my back felt pretty bad.. to say the least lol. deadlifts, barbell rows, anything else?

3) do armcurls do anything for those three lifts, or just to keep me balanced?

4) should i bother with supplements other than creatine and whey shakes? thinking of trying animal multivitamins instead of a normal vitamin i have now, and maybe animal stak as well(come on, if they misspell the name it must be good lol). should i expect faster gains with these, and are they allowed for powerlifting? because i think of them more as bb-kit, and what's legal in bb isn't always for powerlifting..

thanks for any help to any of the questions above, i hope i didn't write too much.

slashkills
08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
okay so i've always been a bit of a gymhead, but i've decided to get more serious about it recently, and my new PRs mean i could do decently in powerlifting competitions. i do everything raw, except for gloves. i've never eaten redmeat, but i eat around 100-150g a day of protien, plus when i'm training i'm on creatine and might try some animal pak supplements.

i'm the only one i know who trains, so i need to rely on kind people on forums for advice XD so could anyone answer some (hopefully) simple questions?

1) i was considering routine that involved 5x5 of competition lifts and 4x8 for isolation exercises, with the days going bench, squat, break, deadlift, bench, two-day break for weekend. i've done benchpress for much longer than the other two, so i didn't feel any issues with training twice a week before, but i'm wondering if 5x5 of main lifts as well as maybe 3 isolation exercises would be too much?

i suggest finding a routine and just sticking with it the way it is written. Then after a few months if you feel like something isnt working then you can make some small adjustments to the routine.

2) what exercises should i be doing for deadlift? i'm switching to sumo, i did the classic with hypertension in my hamstrings and my back felt pretty bad.. to say the least lol. deadlifts, barbell rows, anything else?

goodmornings, stiff legged deadlifts, rows, squats, ghr, deficit deads

3) do armcurls do anything for those three lifts, or just to keep me balanced?

they dont do much for the lifts but its always nice to have some big biceps.

4) should i bother with supplements other than creatine and whey shakes? thinking of trying animal multivitamins instead of a normal vitamin i have now, and maybe animal stak as well(come on, if they misspell the name it must be good lol). should i expect faster gains with these, and are they allowed for powerlifting? because i think of them more as bb-kit, and what's legal in bb isn't always for powerlifting..

if you dont really eat meat then protein shakes are going to need to be your priority. I recommend atlarge nutrions nitrean. Creatine isnt a neccesity but helps quite a few out. Atlarge has a product called Results that has creatine and beta alanine. Its a great product. really the only other thing you would need supplement wise is something to help recovery. Ive never used it but atlarge has another product called ETS which is supposed to be great.
thanks for any help to any of the questions above, i hope i didn't write too much.

comments in bold

walkerxsan
08-23-2009, 11:03 PM
i've got 3 months before my first competition, and maybe 15 months total before i move up to juniors, so i was hoping to find something that worked, and hopefully i'll get some decent gains. just adding whey protein(60g on training days, 30 on off days) put me from 253-286 in a month after i had thought i had hit a plateau.

i just got a kilo of some cheap creatine, but when my current stock runs out i'll be sure to get something from AtLarge.

thanks for the tips btw, i'll be checking around the forum for what those lifts are lol.

slashkills
08-24-2009, 10:53 AM
What are your current stats? westside for skinny bastards is a pretty simple routine that produces big results.

walkerxsan
08-24-2009, 11:33 AM
about 175lbs bodyweight, dunno about %fat, but 5'11 so i don't really qualify as a skinny bastard, and PRs in the sig, although i've done a month of squats(went from 154-316) and my deadlift turns out to be stifflegged. i think the biggest gains i'll get in those two lifts'll be from stretching and being able to get further down lol.

slashkills
08-24-2009, 04:34 PM
I think ws4sb will work well for you. It doesnt have to be for a skinny bastard. Jolly powerlifters use it also. It uses the same ideas as westside but the accessory work is basically laid out for you. Many use that routine with great success.

sayagain
08-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I think ws4sb will work well for you. It doesnt have to be for a skinny bastard. Jolly powerlifters use it also. It uses the same ideas as westside but the accessory work is basically laid out for you. Many use that routine with great success.

Haha, sorry, totally unrelated to the thread, but when I read that all I could think of was Santa in a bench shirt.:)

slashkills
08-24-2009, 06:40 PM
haha

walkerxsan
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
i've read through a few articles on the westside, and iuno; i'm not a huge fan of running any more(JRA in my knees crops up now when i do sprint training), although i've been going through some articles on the internet/on here; i'm liking the look of the milk and squat diet, because i already drink 3-4 gallons a week. any idea of a routine that just gets the biggest gains in maybe 3 months or under? i'd like to do 290+lb as a competition benchpress to break the english record.

and what else do you think santa does up in the north pole? mrs claus got old, so santa's having an affair with iron instead.

slashkills
08-24-2009, 07:31 PM
you dont have to run. Just follow the lifting part if you want. I dont know anything about squat and milk routine

Hazerboy
08-24-2009, 10:21 PM
about 175lbs bodyweight, dunno about %fat, but 5'11 so i don't really qualify as a skinny bastard.

Sorry dude, but yes, yes you are. At 5'11, you'll be a skinny bastard till you're at 210+ XD

walkerxsan
08-26-2009, 02:14 AM
210+? i doubt i'll be hitting that unless i get hungry at the gym and eat a dumbell lol.

i've been looking at the normal westside, and i cba to get all the chains and bands and extra stuff... i enjoy putting a decent bit of weight on the bar, and pushing until it feels like my kidneys are trying to fly out. could dymanic lifts work just with 70% of a 1RM?

oh, and i've looked at the tables which predict how many reps you can do based on % of your 1RM, and i seem to be pretty bad at doing multiple reps for benchpress and i'm bad at getting a high enough weight for squats(i can do two reps at 10lbs under my current PR lol). is this because i've been donig benchpress for a while but squats i just started?

slashkills
08-26-2009, 06:00 AM
210+? i doubt i'll be hitting that unless i get hungry at the gym and eat a dumbell lol.

i've been looking at the normal westside, and i cba to get all the chains and bands and extra stuff... i enjoy putting a decent bit of weight on the bar, and pushing until it feels like my kidneys are trying to fly out. could dymanic lifts work just with 70% of a 1RM?

oh, and i've looked at the tables which predict how many reps you can do based on % of your 1RM, and i seem to be pretty bad at doing multiple reps for benchpress and i'm bad at getting a high enough weight for squats(i can do two reps at 10lbs under my current PR lol). is this because i've been donig benchpress for a while but squats i just started?

Dynamic work is supposed to be fast. The percentages are just guidelines. If you can move 70% of you max fast than thats great go for it. Look at some of travis bells DE training vids on here to see what it should look like.

as for the reps on squats, it could be.

SEOINAGE
08-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I think you are someone that could benefit from a westside style training, or even the 5x5 you spoke of. You could easily add on 100 lbs to your squat and deadlift in 5-6 months with proper training and nutrition, meaning food. Probably get your bench closer to 300 too, but it sounds like you have been training this one hard already so you won't make as big of gains as the squat and deadlift.

walkerxsan
08-26-2009, 01:33 PM
well during the school year i've got a tiny little gym and no competition, so i hadn't really pushed myself. this summer, i was working out at the KSU gym(a bit of a step up from a shack with a barbell in it lol). my bench went from 247 to 286, squat went from 154 to 316, and 286-366 for dl, all in 6 weeks of training, and this was with 2 hours of cardio daily(had to cycle everywhere). i've looked into westside a lot, gone though most of louies articles that i could find, and my main issue seems to be: i've got a barbell, flat and incline benches, and some crappy machines. no bands, no chains, and when you go through any article louie simmons writes about bp or squat, he talks about bands and chains for dynamic effort days. should i improvise by tying dumbbells on with string? ha. so would westside work as well without any fancy equipment?

slashkills
08-26-2009, 04:18 PM
westside will work well. If you read through joe defrancos website he says several times bands and chains are an accessory not a neccessity. Sure they will help but you will still make as much progress without them if you do the right ME movements.

For ME days do things like floor presses, board presses, flat bench, shoulder press and for lower body ME days rotate squat, box squat, front squat and all of the deadlift variations. Do some more reading on westside its not really as complicated as it seems.

Thats why i suggest westside for skinny bastards. It is westside basically. It uses the same ME day principles. All thats really different is instead of a DE day for squat and bench its an RE day. You could easily replace those with DE method days. Joe defranco also gives you his westside routines with exercise options in there. Its less thinking and just as the original westside. You dont have to do the running/agility/plyo work. Just skip it or replace it with DE work.

sayagain
08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Westside works fine without bands or chains. Although, you can get a pair of mini bands pretty cheap. These work great on dynamic bench days as well as something to throw in on ME days as well.

walkerxsan
08-26-2009, 05:18 PM
thanks for the help guys, i think i'll draft out a rough routine and start a training log here later; as it is i work out of a journal book, and i won't be hitting the gym for a week, but i'll put up what i've done in the past to see if it was too much or not.