PDA

View Full Version : Protein Powder

morristown
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi,

Asking this question because I have come across a few comment about some protein powders being just junk.

wanted to get an opinion on the following:

EAS (Energy Athletics Strength) Premium Protein.
Ross Product Division
Abbott laboratories
Columbus, Ohio 43215

They say the following

* Premium Three-Stage Blend -delivers high concentration of BCAA's
* High quality protein for muscle building
* helps muscles recover after exercise
* Mixes Easily

it is Whey Protein Concentrate, Soy protein isolate, milk protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate, L-Isolleucine, L-valine, in that order on the ingredients section.

Claims 2 scoops of it is 27 grams of protein.

I get it at Costco for $30 for 6lbs.

Off Road
08-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I've bought that stuff before. I can't speak to it's quality, but it sure does taste good.

Unreal
08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't like the soy in it.

morristown
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't like the soy in it.

Is the Soy component of it bad?

is this stuff decent or not so much?

Unreal
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
There is a big debate over soy. It isn't a good protein source for men. I believe there is studies showing it raises estrogen levels.
I would buy something else with so many other good powders out there. My cabinet has Atlarge, All the Whey, and On protein powders in about 8 different flavors. I think all of them are superior to the EAS stuff.

Off Road
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
There is a big debate over soy...I believe there is studies showing it raises estrogen levels.

No wonder I feel bitchy :evillaugh:

KarlMarx
08-25-2009, 03:00 PM
There is a big debate over soy. It isn't a good protein source for men. I believe there is studies showing it raises estrogen levels.
I would buy something else with so many other good powders out there. My cabinet has Atlarge, All the Whey, and On protein powders in about 8 different flavors. I think all of them are superior to the EAS stuff.

That was thought to be the case but not so anymore. Men's Health Magazine (I know, I know) gave soy its second highest rating after whey and before milk, casien, egg, etc. I believe the consensus is now very pro soy. I don't drink it myself but I'm considering. I can't think that all the antibiotics, hormones, bovine growth hormone, etc. that they put in cows are good for me :confused:

yasher
08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
That was thought to be the case but not so anymore. Men's Health Magazine (I know, I know) gave soy its second highest rating after whey and before milk, casien, egg, etc. I believe the consensus is now very pro soy. I don't drink it myself but I'm considering. I can't think that all the antibiotics, hormones, bovine growth hormone, etc. that they put in cows are good for me :confused:

Is there any conclusive evidence out there with regard to the soy debate? I included a bunch of milk in my diet plans, intending to try to drink it, but my GI tract has reacted quite poorly to milk in the past, and I'd love to know if I'd be doing myself a disservice drinking soy instead.