PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Chains!

KarlMarx
08-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Any ideas on where you can get chains the cheapest? Home Depot is expensive. Someone once suggested a trucking junkyard and you could pull them off an old rig.

Any other good ideas on where to hunt down cheap chains that are thick/heavy enough?

Brian C
08-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Used chains is the way to go. Buying new will be expensive anywhere. Junkyards are a goldmine for such

Ben Moore
08-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Try local rigging supply stores

JK1
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
1st chain supply online has the cheapest internet prices. Free shipping too. http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain/wlifting_chain.htm

KarstenDD
08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Scrap yard. I got 180 pounds for $90.

Clifford Gillmore
08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
We got a few barrells from the docks when I worked there for a while, they need to be sand blasted to get all of the rust off, but its another option.

KarlMarx
08-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Scrap yard. I got 180 pounds for $90.

Wow! That is really good!

KarlMarx
08-26-2009, 09:04 AM
1st chain supply online has the cheapest internet prices. Free shipping too. http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain/wlifting_chain.htm

The internet site also has free shipping. Which is cool on 25-80 lbs of chain!

KarstenDD
08-26-2009, 08:30 PM
We got a few barrells from the docks when I worked there for a while, they need to be sand blasted to get all of the rust off, but its another option.

I got old anchor chain. Why sandblast it? If you're that worried about rust, you probably shouldn't be using chains.

Clifford Gillmore
08-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I got old anchor chain. Why sandblast it? If you're that worried about rust, you probably shouldn't be using chains.

Just alot of dead metal on it, and the fact rust is a bacteria and will spread to all of the other nice clean chains in the gym. Also add in that rust is an O2 consumer, not the best thing. There are multiple reasons why rust is bad, and multiple reasons that the anti-bacterial that is used to treat it is even worse.

dynamo
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Just alot of dead metal on it, and the fact rust is a bacteria and will spread to all of the other nice clean chains in the gym. Also add in that rust is an O2 consumer, not the best thing. There are multiple reasons why rust is bad, and multiple reasons that the anti-bacterial that is used to treat it is even worse.

how is rust a bacteria?

Clifford Gillmore
08-26-2009, 09:53 PM
how is rust a bacteria?

Spreads like it. Just because its oxidization doesn't mean its not nasty.

Brian999
08-26-2009, 11:40 PM
I've always wondered this, I've seen a lot of powerlifters using chains for various lifts. Whats it good for? Why not just throw on some plates instead of chains if it's the same weight?

SEOINAGE
08-27-2009, 12:12 AM
I've always wondered this, I've seen a lot of powerlifters using chains for various lifts. Whats it good for? Why not just throw on some plates instead of chains if it's the same weight?

You need to watch some videos or pay closer attention to them. The chains will touch the ground as you lower the weight, and gradually get lighter, and as you press up progressively get heavier. I won't get into benefits with them, but I have yet to use chains, just been using bands.

KarlMarx
08-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Exactly, they deload at the bottom of the lift and as they come off the ground they add back onto the bar. They do at least three things:
1) Make the load heavier as the lift gets stronger, near the top, so that you are working all through the lift.
2) Teach you to explode. You need to build momentum in the bottom to carry the bar through the top as it gets heavier.
3) Change the mechanics of the lift so that you don't burn out the CNS. It allows you to change things up to keep your ME days progressing.