PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Deadlift

Andre518
08-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Whats up guys I was just thinking on my way home from the gym and wanted to know. Even though I use a conventional narrow stance would doing sumo every now again for assist work help out any?

SEOINAGE
08-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Not sure but last time I tried it my groin really wasn't pleased.

Sean S
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Sure. It will help your hip strength. If you train raw, I wouldn't go super heavy and tear up your hips, but some moderate sets as assistance work would actually probably be beneficial.
In my opinion, it would probably be good for most lifters to do some work in the opposite style of their primary DL.

KarlMarx
08-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Simmons recommends it in the Book of Methods and the guy who writes 'Powerlifting Texas Style' is all about it. Everybody I have read to talked to says that training in both styles is good.

I say this after training sumo now for awhile..it has torn me up in a good way. I find that the sumo d/l uses a motion more like my squat through the legs which I like and it taxes the lower back which I need.

Lones Green
08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Absolutely! Doing some extra wide sumo pulls as an assistance exercise will help out your hip strength a ton. The opposite goes for a sumo puller, conventional work will have carry over to the sumo style.

The poster mikesbench here pretty much only pulls conventional in training, but pulls sumo in meets. His pull was stagnant for the longest time, until he tried this, and now he's setting PR's. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, I'm just using it as proof.

Brian Hopper
08-26-2009, 05:30 PM
This training cycle we have been doing some sumo pulls, and I enjoy it. I can also see it helping out in the long run.

stik
08-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I pull sumo and am wanting to use platform deads, conventional, as a way to help my momentum next off-season. This thread has helped me decide this. Thanks.

SELK
08-27-2009, 12:06 PM
I train both as well. I think you want to be using similar numbers in both forms eventually as well.

I used to train only sumo and pull conventional at the meet, that worked pretty well actually and I would consider doing it again in the future.