PDA

View Full Version : typical steak recipe...

Virtron
08-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Just thought I'd give any costco goers a heads up.

I got this package of 4 new york strip steaks the other day. They each weighed a pound. I paid like 30 bucks for the whole pack. USDA Choice meat. Good quality bright pink meat.

I took a pan. Poured a good amount of sauteing olive oil in there. salt and pepper to two sides of each piece. rolled them around in the oil and renegade salt and pepper in the pan. I got two huge ziploc bags and put two in each one. squeezed all the air out and put it on the highest shelf in the fridge. 24 hours later I threw it on a grill. I used direct-heat grilling. Now the thing is they're thick pieces, but closing the lid only required about 6-7 minutes on each side for a medium well. In retrospect, 6 minutes would've been better. Nevertheless, it was sooo juicy. The meat was top notch. Me and my wife ate it last night. I had one piece myself and she split one with my sister. One piece is about 100g of protein. I'll take out the other two tomorrow night and see if a 24 hour marinade is as good as a 72 hour marinade.

Costco rocks. thats my two cents.

PoundingPlates
08-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Sounds good. You're making me want to go cook the steak I have in the fridge right now!!

machaf
09-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Sometimes they have Prime meat at Costco. Blue packing instead of white. I was REALLY tempted to buy some this last time I was there. Can't beat $12lb for Prime meat. Maybe I'll go back for my cheat meal....

Virtron
09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Sometimes they have Prime meat at Costco. Blue packing instead of white. I was REALLY tempted to buy some this last time I was there. Can't beat $12lb for Prime meat. Maybe I'll go back for my cheat meal....

What I do now is get the flap steak that they have... 4 pounds of meat for 20 bucks... I use this recipe. I just double the quantities and let it marinade for about 25 minutes. The best thing about this recipe is you can make some sunday and it will reheat just as juicy throughout the week. Its amazing and it tastes so good.

Recipe: Flap Steak (http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2008/10/Grilled-Marinated-Sirloin-Flap-Steaks)

Harris
09-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Something I like to do with steak is pan fry it to about medium and then put it on a plate loosely covered with aluminum foil. Add butter to the pan, then add chopped shallot and garlic, sautee, throw in some red wine (cheap red cooking wine will do), a little chicken stock, and the juice from the steaks that developed while they were covered. Let this simmer a bit until it thickens. Serve with mashed potatoes and be sure to pure some of that gravy over the potatoes. Win.

Detard
09-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I usually go to costco and buy a huge slab of meat, then cut it up myself. Much much cheaper (70 bucks for 14 steaks), and I can decide how thick I want them.

Virtron
09-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I usually go to costco and buy a huge slab of meat, then cut it up myself. Much much cheaper (70 bucks for 14 steaks), and I can decide how thick I want them.

wow... which one do you buy? so, i could keep an eye out for it.