PDA

View Full Version : Need some diet advice for a college athlete

XFacta82
08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I am a collegiate athlete (6'3" 200lbs) not looking to get huge, but just get stronger in general. I'm a pitcher so I don't need to have a massive upper body. The tough thing is...I'm living in an apartment this year so I am having to cook for myself for the most part. I'm not sure what foods to buy to have a healthy diet as well as benefit my athletic training. What sort of things should I be eating throughout the day?

Unreal
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Read the stickied threads. It covers all of this.

Joe Black
08-27-2009, 04:25 AM
XFacta82, I would really recommend Precision Nutrition (http://www.wannabebig.com/stuff-we-like/the-precision-nutrition-system/) and The Gourmet Nutrition Cook Book (http://www.wannabebig.com/stuff-we-like/gourmet-nutrition-cookbook/). Both are an absolutel gem and it shows you how to easily prepare tasty, nutritious food.

After reading this and a few months of cooking the recipes and understanding the basic principles of eating clean, it's SO easy.

I just go to the supermarket each week and buy a good selection of meats (normally steak, chicken and lean minced beef) and a ton of vegetables. Some low fat yoghurt, fruit and I'm always stocked up on beans, chickpeas, cocunut milk, garlic, ginger and herbs.

With that lot, making tasty foods is EASY and quick. Sirlion beef kebabs, lamb chilli, steak burgers with salads, chickpeas etc etc.

Have a good read of the nutrition articles on www.wannabebig.com and the threads in this forum too - they will set you right.

tnathletics2b
08-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Xfacta,

I was a pitcher in college, too. I kept a bag of frozen chicken breasts in the freezer and snacked on a few of those before and after practice- after lunch and before dinner- and that helped me maintain weight while giving me a good source of protein.

If you guys do as much running as we did, I would suggest finding some pasta that you can make in bulk and keep eating on for a few days. I think that Pizza Hut has big dishes of lasagna for like $6.00 that will last a couple meals.

At night, I would cook up some easily prepared vegetables- green beans, corn, baked potatoes- and keep things like carrots, celery and cucumber stocked. Bananas are cheap, and the potassium is great on distance days :)

Also, carry a water jug around with you during classes and drink a lot of water. I tried to shoot for at least one 20 ounce bottle a class.

Oh, and don't let your coach discourage you from heavy lifts. Baseball is far behind other sports when it comes to strength and conditioning. Pitching is nothing more than (depending on your role) 10-100 bursts of 1/2 second power. Workout accordingly. Power exercises like deadlifts, squats, bench and hang cleans will provide you with power in the 9th as a closer coming to slam the door, or the power to reach down deep to throw pitch number 100 by the 4 hole hitter in the 7th as a starter.

The biggest mistake I made as a college pitcher was to listen to everyone say "You will lose your flexibility," "You will get stiff," "You will get a shoulder impingement," blah blah blah if you bench press/hang clean/etc. As long as you stretch properly, keep throwing while lifting, and do proper rotator cuff exercises, you will be fine.

If you train properly, use good form, and eat right, weight lifting can be a pitcher's best friend.