PDA

View Full Version : Video squatting in my new suit

BigTallOx
08-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Below is a video of me squatting in my new suit. It's a titan boss suit. It's probably a little big in the hips at my current weight ( the legs are really tight though ), i still can't hit depth with 405. I'm thinking once I get used to the suit, I'm going to have it altered a bit in the hips/belly, if I don't gain more weight by then that is.

The suit changes my squat form. It's very hard to sit back, the suit pushes my hips forward a little, Im really trying to fight that in this video. I'm able to go wider in this suit than my old suit. I know it probably don't look very wide because my legs are so long, but Im squatting with my toes to the squat rack in this video. I think I could probably go wider in a different rack. ( Sadly, it doesn't look like my gym is going to get a monolift like they were telling us was going to happen. URG! ) Constructive comments are appreciated, please don't just say my form sucks ( I'm sure it does ) without advice on exactly what I need to change.

6zrUHg1crZw

Beverly McD.
08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
LOL! Your form doesn't suck. I agree the rack is too narrow for you though. It puts your feet in "no man's land", not really close stance, but not wide enough to be a wide stance squat either.

I'd suggest you pull the cage away from the wall a little. Then on your break, get your hips up under the bar more. You're breaking with the hips behind you, giving you a forward lean. That starts you out in a bad position. When the weight gets heavy for you, that forward lean will really push you forward. It will also cause your hips to rise too fast when you start to rise up out of the squat.

KarlMarx
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Certainly some big dogs are going to have more to say than me but I did notice that you are looking down a lot. That seems to cause your posture to round in the back and it didn't straighten out before you squatted. You might try not looking down. I know thats hard when you're tall because you're afraid your feet will hit the side and trip you. I know. It sucks. But you can always start under the bar with your feet in the same place and then do the same motion to widen them. For instance, I unrack and then 'scoot 1"' and 'scoot 1"' for each foot after I step back. That way I don't need to look. I had some spotters look for me at first to give me confidence.

And I also agree a monolift would kick ***! It would be nice...

Ben Moore
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
That suit is not giving you much. I'd just have it taken in a bit more now.

That said, you are going to have to get wider in that suit to reach depth. I'll also agree with Mr. Marx - get your head up.

Tell your gym to got a mono attachment for the rack and ask if you can have the rack modified with either a wood insert or by putting the rack up on blocks so that you can get wider. Setting up in a heavier duty suit is next to impossible outside of a mono. Crepensik (sp) sells theirs for around $500 I think - significantly less money that the full monolift. Tag on there $50 to make a platform to insert into the rack and it's a good deal better than buying a monolift.

BigTallOx
08-26-2009, 02:55 PM
That suit is not giving you much. I'd just have it taken in a bit more now.

The thing is, I'm still gaining weight.

Tell your gym to got a mono attachment for the rack and ask if you can have the rack modified with either a wood insert or by putting the rack up on blocks so that you can get wider. Setting up in a heavier duty suit is next to impossible outside of a mono. Crepensik (sp) sells theirs for around $500 I think - significantly less money that the full monolift. Tag on there $50 to make a platform to insert into the rack and it's a good deal better than buying a monolift.

I'll have to ask about that. The problem isn't money though. They already own a monolift that's currently not at the gym. I think they're worried about safety issues, ie non powerlifters using it and getting hurt.

Ben Moore
08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
So have it taken in and see if they can leave the extra material (ie. no cutting)

As for liability - can they put it in a separate room with a key code?

JSully
08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Have you tried a lower bar placement.. It looks like you may be able to go a couple inches lower which will let you stick out your chest and arch your back more and, in my opinion, makes it easier to push your head/neck back into the bar keeping your heel drive better..

But I've never squatted in a suit so I'm not sure how much thing would differ.

BigTallOx
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
So have it taken in and see if they can leave the extra material (ie. no cutting)

Ah, OK I'll do that. That won't weaken the suit when I have it let back out?

As for liability - can they put it in a separate room with a key code?

Yeah, we've tried to suggest that. They could do it I'm sure, but lately they seem to ignore the requests from the squatters ( all 2 or 3 of us, LOL ). Other than the monolift issue, it's a good place to train. There's a good group of strong benchers that meet every saturday, it's just too bad that most of the guys are bench only.

BigTallOx
08-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Have you tried a lower bar placement..

I do have a lower bar placement when I squat raw. Maybe I should try to go lower with the suit, I don't know. The spot that felt "natural" is higher when I'm in the suit.

joey54
08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Can you set the hooks up outside the rack and just squat outside of it, or is that against gym rules? I think once you add weight and can widen out, depth will be easier to hit. Need to arch better in my opinion, but that could be difficult for you to do with the suit.

Stew
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Can you set the hooks up outside the rack and just squat outside of it, or is that against gym rules? I think once you add weight and can widen out, depth will be easier to hit. Need to arch better in my opinion, but that could be difficult for you to do with the suit.

...why didn't I ever think of this? I've been slowly widening my stance over time and had to move to a diff rack than our power rack due to it being wider, but I maxed that out too. Can totally set the hooks up outside our power rack.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Sean S
08-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Do this and squat outside the rack. Get someone to back spot you if you are worried about that. I'm only 6'1" and squatting inside a rack is too narrow for me in equipment. Also, stay with the higher bar placement for equipped squatting. It will help you stay more upright and keep the support of the suit in the hips under the bar better.
Have you thought about getting some Spud straps to hang from the monolift as a safety device? They would serve the same function as the spotter bars in the rack and may make the gym management more comfortable with the monolift.

mattdunkin
08-27-2009, 01:14 AM
I have a Boss suit and briefs as well and say you definitely need to get that suit altered-it takes me A LOT more weight even just in my briefs to get anywhere near depth-if you are getting that far down with 405 in a Boss you definitely need to get it altered.You'll really like that suit though once you get it dialed in.