PDA

View Full Version : A little Diet Help

Protege385
08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi all, i'm new to the site. I used to think my diet was pretty good. A few weeks ago, my cousin(who is a nutritionist of sorts) told me that i had too much sugar in my diet and that my insulin level probably wasn't where it should be.

My diet at the time looked something like this:

Meal 1: eggs, bread or cereal followed a half hour later with an energy/creatine drink(usually NO Xplode)

Meal 2: Some deli meat, spiced cheese or yogurt

Meal 3: A piece of fruit, a small bag of beef jerky and 3 rice cakes

Meal 4: A piece of fruit, a small bag of almonds

Meal 5: A piece of fruit, 2 fruit cups and two 100 calorie granola bars

Meal 6: Varies- usually steak, pasta, cavetelli, fish or something else heavy

Meal 7: Deli meat, yogurt or spiced cheese

That was my diet for around 6 months. I'm trying to slowly gain some muscle-mass, however i have to be in good enough shape to pass a physical agility test every few months or so. I currently fluctuate between 192-195 lbs and since i'm only 5'5 i have to be careful about getting too sloppy looking.(I'm walking a fine line already)

I have had some nice gains in strength with this new diet, and i'm wondering if it's good or if there are aspects of it which need tweaking. Maybe the whole thing is no good, even.

Meal 1: A few saltines and a low calorie protetin shake followed by the energy shake pre-workout

Meal 2: Low calorie protein shake

Meal 3: Small bag of beef jerky, a piece of fruit and 3 rice cakes

Meal 4: Small bag of almonds and a piece of fruit

Meal 5: Moderate sized bag of trail mix(dried fruit, almonds and walnuts)

Meal 6: Low calorie shake

Then i run a mile after my final meal.

I'm concerned that i'm not taking in enough calories. I go to bed hungry every night, yet my weight hasn't dropped at all. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Unreal
08-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Post macros. We need calories, protein, carbs, fat. Also what is your maintence level?

Protege385
08-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I'll look online later tonite and try to figure that out

Protege385
08-27-2009, 10:56 PM
these totals dont seem correct to me:

obviously this isn't exact

calories: 1,368

protein 133

fat: 45

carbs: 112

Sugar: 42

I've gotta be eating more then that. that can't be accurate. I didn't include the numbers for the two pieces of fruit because the type of fruit changes day to day. 1300 cals sounds way too low

Off Road
08-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Probably right...I don't see anything but snack food...jerky, fruit, crackers, protein drinks, that's what I eat between real meals.

Protege385
08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
damn. i gotta come up with somethin new

Off Road
08-28-2009, 07:23 AM
damn. i gotta come up with somethin new

I am far from knowledgable on the subject of nutrition, but...

Your original diet seemed heavy on carbs and fruits. Your new diet seems void of meat. Where are the vegatables?

Try eating some traditional meals; eggs and oats for breakfast, sandwich and fruit for lunch, fish/chicken and vegatables for dinner.

Then throw your snack foods in between; protein drinks, nuts, jerkey, etc...

Just make healthy food choices and keep track of the calories and macros.

Protege385
08-31-2009, 01:45 AM
yea im tryin to come up with a shopping list . I will most definately post the new diet once i get the specifics down