PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a fresh Salsa recipe

Genacide
08-27-2009, 11:07 AM
So I grew tomatos and peppers in the garden this year and want to make some restaurant style salsa. Problem is everything I find is either using canned ingredients, or is more like Pica de gallo.

Anyone have a good salsa recipe?

juan23
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
So I grew tomatos and peppers in the garden this year and want to make some restaurant style salsa. Problem is everything I find is either using canned ingredients, or is more like Pica de gallo.

Anyone have a good salsa recipe?

ok ok here you go , its my dads recipe

you put the peppers and tomatos on the grill or pan whatever until they get really burned (squishy like) then you toss them in the blender and add vegetable oil keep adding until you get the desired thickness

dont know how much salt i just go by flavor same with the oil i just keep adding till it looks and taste good

then add a bit of salt and bam you got salsa (its restaurant style)

i personally like it with habanero peppers

4pepper/ 2 tomatoes=red salsa

you also dont need tomatoes you can make one with just peppers , same recipe but without tomatoes just use 6/8 peppers =green salsa

if you want a awsome pico de gallo recipe i have one too

Focused70
08-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I have several but it really depends on what you want to use it for.

This recipe is, as far as salsas go, pretty basic. To differentiate it from pico de gallo, this is a cooked salsa. The tomatoes are cooked, just not by you. ;)

This is a very basic recipe for a very basic salsa, most likely the number one type of salsa used in Mexican cooking. This is actually an exceedingly simple method of preparing a cooked salsa (it's just long because I'm so wordy).

Canned whole tomatoes - look on label to be positive nothing has been added other than tomatoes and salt. No vegetables, not even "Mexican style." Don't use fresh tomatoes. This is a shortcut recipe for producing a "cooked salsa." If you've "put up" your own tomatoes, and used nothing but salt, then fine, use them. But NOT fresh tomatoes.
Fresh jalapeños - find fat, bright green ones
Garlic salt - again, look on label to be certain nothing has been added but garlic and salt. Be careful not to get "California Blend" which has other things in it.

BASIC RECIPE:

Wash and dry whole jalapeños. On hot, non-greased surface (I just use a skillet) blister whole jalapeños, turning often, and watching to be sure they don't burn. You want nice dark brown spots, and the entire pepper to have lost its shiny green color, instead being a dull avocado color (like kitchen appliances from the 1970's). You can also do this in an oven or (best of all) on a barbecue grill or over other wood fire. I rarely bother. I make a lot of this, and don't always have time to fire up the grill. If I want a smoky flavor for some reason, I add it later (see bottom notes).

Drain cans of tomatoes (you can reserve liquid for another use; for example, if you add a little salt and lemon juice, you can drink it just like regular tomato juice) and place tomatoes into blender or food processor. Pulse until desired consistency (I like mine kind of chunky, so don't process until it's too smooth) and pour into large mixing bowl. Continue doing this until you reach the amount of salsa you want.

Take some of your pulsed tomatoes and return it to the blender/processor. Cut the stems from your cooked jalapeños and add. You can, obviously, add as many as you want for desired picante. I usually add about three whole jalapeños per blender-full of salsa, but this is entirely subjective depending on who's going to be doing the eating. (Note - if you want more flavor but less heat, you can remove the seeds and, most important, the veins, which are the source of the capsicum oil in the peppers that causes the heat. One of my friends doesn't drain her tomatoes, and she adds probably twenty jalapenos per blender. Her salsa is much runnier, and much hotter than mine. It's like liquid fire. But on the other hand, she has to please a houseful of Mexicans, whereas the only person I need to please is myself. Now, pulse to chop the jalapeños, stopping before you pulverize the seeds, which makes it bitter.

Pour your chopped jalapeños in with your tomatoes. Add garlic salt "to taste" and I know this is subjective, but I "eyeball it" and all I can tell you is that if your salsa does not taste "right" it is undoubtedly because you haven't added enough, so add more and taste it again. Remember that salsa is a garnish so you want it a little salty, plus the flavor of salt decreases when the dish is cold (like cold soups, and salsa), so don't stint.

This is your basic salsa. Do it like this FIRST and get the flavors right before you branch out.

Okay.

Now, you're ready to branch out.

In addition to what I've already described, I always add: 1.) a little oil; can be any type of vegetable oil - I usually add olive oil; say a tablespoon per blender load, I guess. 2.) a little acid -- vinegar works just fine and is what I usually use, but also lemon or lime juice, or a mixture of all three -- again, sorry, "to taste," probably a tablespoon or so per blender load. 3.) cilantro - I like it and add it, usually right before the jalapeños and using the same method -- put a little of the tomatoes back into the blender/processor and add the cilantro and process, being very careful not to over-process.

This is all I usually do, and my salsa is wonderful.

Trust me on this and just make it like this a time or two. Don't immediately think to yourself, "I can make it better. I can add onions. I wonder why Soba didn't add onions. Maybe Soba has never heard of onions."

I have heard of onions. But I do not usually add them. Nor anything else other than the tomatoes, garlic salt, jalapenos, oil, vinegar, cilantro.

But sometimes, if I am going to use it for a dip, I will occasionally chop up and add: a fresh tomato (especially in the summer when the tomatoes are so wonderful); chopped onions (any kind will do -- green onions, whatever) and cubed avocado -- that makes a nice dip. But MOST of the time I don't!

Other things you can eventually experiment with adding (only AFTER you've fixed it enough times to have the hang of it): liquid smoke, oregano, other kinds of peppers (habañeros, serranos, etc.), chile powder, cumin, sugar (yes, some people like a sweet salsa), Tapatío or other bottled Mexican hot sauce, or whatever else hits your imagination to try. But the secret is to first master the basic sauce and resist the urge to start adding stuff in order to "improve" it. Just wait a while before you try to get fancy, or you'll add so much stuff that you mess it up. (Remember that if you add a lot of chopped fresh tomatoes or avocados, you'll need to add more garlic salt as well.)

Now that you've got your salsa all jarred up and waiting for you in the fridge, take a flour tortilla and lay some sliced mild cheddar onto half of it, fold the other half over to make a half-moon shape, zap it in the microwave a minute or two until the cheese melts, pour your cold salsa all over it and eat it. With some sliced avocados alongside, of course.

This salsa is also wonderful with plain cheese omelets. And everything else that is good with salsa. Which in my kitchen pretty much is everything else.

VikingWarlord
08-28-2009, 02:17 PM
It really comes down to whether you want a cooked or fresh salsa. Beyond that, do you want a sweet or hot salsa? Do you want picante or chunky salsa?

SDS
08-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I usually just chop (julienne) up some tomato, green bell pepper and onion. A few jalapenos and some cilantro, maybe some lime juice.......might throw a whole tomato in the blender and mix in to moisten it all up.

Genacide
08-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Soba - Great read, my only issue is that I'm making salsa because I have mountains of fresh tomatoes. I can only eat so much pico de gallo and tomato salad... which I tried for the first time in the Bahamas and loved it... Anyway, fresh or cooked I'm looking for a solid recipe for my fresh tomatoes.

Instead of using canned tomatoes can I stew fresh ones?

Viking - Hot Salsa, the rest doesn't matter.

BTW - eating a fresh picked tomato, unwashed, warm from the sun, like an apple, is pure heavenly flavor.

VikingWarlord
08-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Make a tomato concasse and you can use that instead of canned tomatoes for most recipes. YouTube Cooking Coarse and look for the tomato concasse episode. it's ridiculously simple.

Focused70
08-28-2009, 03:01 PM
You can stew them and the salsa will be fine. If you use fresh uncooked tomatoes, the texture will be different and the acidity will be higher which will in turn throw off the flavor, so you'll need to experiment.

Or...

You can roast the tomatoes in olive oil (say for eight hours at 200 F*), and they'll turn out like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/3737764560_85c2805561_o.jpg

*A quick version is one hour at 350 F. Serve over pasta.

The longer you roast them, the lower the heat. Depending on the amount of olive oil and salt you use, you'll end up with tomato confit or "tomato candy". I guarantee you won't be able to stop eating them.

Focused70
08-28-2009, 03:05 PM
PS. Remind me to post my recipe for carnitas. Think "pork croutons". Ask ectx about them. :D