PDA

View Full Version : Indigestion

geordie1986
08-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Over the last two weeks are so Ive been getting indigestion alot of the time and not always straight after eating. Ive been following roughly the same diet for a while now and I never use to get this problem.

So my question is; is it a diet issue thats causing the indigestion? Is there any specific foods or supplements that may help or maybe causing the problem? I read that pineapple helps with the digesting of foods and im also aware of stuff like gaviscon that helps sooth heartburn and indigestion, but I was just seeing if there are any alternatives. I appreciate any responses.

Beverly McD.
08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Try upping your water intake geordie. It will help dilute the acid until you figure out the cause.

Ajack
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Dilluting the acid will just make it easier for it to find it's way up to your esophagus, or at least in my experience.

First stay away from acidic drinks like coffee or gatoraide and acidic foods like tomato sauce and garlic. Also saturated fats, since they take the acid in your stomach longer to them break down. If diet changes don't work, there's plenty of medications worth taking once in the morning to eat whatever you like.

I got to the point where a large glass of water first thing in the morning would give me heartburn. I starting taking the Prilosec OTC, and it worked well. Can always get nexium or protonix prescription for your doctor.

Good luck! Chronic heartburn sucks!

-Ajack

Mercuryblade
08-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Dilluting the acid will just make it easier for it to find it's way up to your esophagus, or at least in my experience.

First stay away from acidic drinks like coffee or gatoraide and acidic foods like tomato sauce and garlic. Also saturated fats, since they take the acid in your stomach longer to them break down. If diet changes don't work, there's plenty of medications worth taking once in the morning to eat whatever you like.

I got to the point where a large glass of water first thing in the morning would give me heartburn. I starting taking the Prilosec OTC, and it worked well. Can always get nexium or protonix prescription for your doctor.

Good luck! Chronic heartburn sucks!

-Ajack

Acid in foods doesn't change the acid (ph) in your stomach, if you get indigestion from these foods it's for another reason, not because they are acidic.

Fats aren't broken down in the stomach, they are degraded in the intestine, and it's not by acid, digestion starts when they are emulsified by bile.

staringatthesun
08-29-2009, 10:27 AM
You can get Bromelain, which is the stuff that is in a pineapple that helps you digest, I picked some up at the vitamin shoppe. I always found pineapple gives me heart burn. Also dairy can give you wicked indegestion. If your diet contains a lot of that maybe you should pick up some generic lactase pills. That is the only way I can even have dairy with out gettin the trots.