PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift help? (video)

Cricket_Fire
08-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey all. I was hoping to get some technique advice.

I already know I suck at lockout and need to get my hips through etc. I'm more asking about the bottom portion; any advice on how I can get into a better position at the bottom? Plus anything else you can tell me to make my pulls not so ugly would be greatly appreciated :hello:

gNzku60KJiQ

Thanks!
Keenan

barbell01
08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
if you arch your back more and chest up, you will be using more legs right away, arching more will also make lokout easier

Cricket_Fire
08-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks man :) . Is that gonna just be a "keep working at it until you get it" kinda thing, or will I need to change something significant?

MarcusWild
08-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Does the bar bounce off your thighs and then you row it back in towards your body? That or you're shrugging it at the top. Something looks really odd. Get your chest up more at the start and focus on pulling back.

Cricket_Fire
08-27-2009, 05:12 PM
It deffinatly gets stuck on my thighs (John Bott had me switch to sumo because of this but I'm still stronger convo raw). I think a lot of it is just not focusing on pushing my hips through (the last one looks better in my eyes because I actually have to push through instead of just stand up with it)

JSully
08-27-2009, 05:19 PM
What helped me was reminding myself to stay back on my heels. Push that chest out and arch your back.. before you even pull (as your sitting there getting ready) tell yourself to lean back, push with your heels and drive through the hips..

Lones Green
08-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, def try to pull back more. Arch your back.

evilxxx
08-27-2009, 06:30 PM
How close are you from the mirror? sounds crazy but when i am away from the mirrors i lock out better. Being too close might cause your head to stay down too low? also...show the guy on the smith machine how to do a proper squat...lol

Sean S
08-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Your lockout will always be difficult if you aren't arching your back, or at least keeping it neutral. As you fatigue you start to round over more and more. Simply attempting to arch when you set up and trying to hold that arch all the way up will keep you from rounding over excessively. Based on the video, I suspect you would get really rounded over with a max attempt. To correct this you can do two things:
1) strengthen your low back by doing a ton of weighted back raises
2) try to get an arch when you set up and try to maintain it throughout the lift

SEOINAGE
08-27-2009, 07:36 PM
How close are you from the mirror? sounds crazy but when i am away from the mirrors i lock out better. Being too close might cause your head to stay down too low? also...show the guy on the smith machine how to do a proper squat...lol

Lol that kid in the back is doing pretty awful, that's what? a 1/8 squat and on a smith.

To the op, it looks like in the start you are hopping at the top, never seen someone do that before, not sure what advice to give you though, I would like to see you deadlift a higher weight with fewer reps. Not saying 405 isn't a lot, but it clearly isn't a lot for you.

Cricket_Fire
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys. I'll work on all that and post up a vid next time I go heavier :)

Travis Bell
08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Deficit pulls will also really help you learn how to force yourself into better position

You might try moving your belt up just a tad, but as Lones said, arch hard back.

I noticed the same thing that Marcus did, that the bar hitches just a little towards the top. You're going to want to watch that because it could cause you a red light but it also messes with the momentum of the lift.

Oh, and try resetting after each rep. The following reps after the first one will be more straight legged deads if you don't reset each rep.

ShooterX
08-28-2009, 07:56 PM
If you werent so skinny your Gear would fit tighter.....;)

radioheadhead
08-28-2009, 08:01 PM
also...show the guy on the smith machine how to do a proper squat...lol

man, those squats sum up my gym perfectly

Cricket_Fire
08-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks Travis. I'll deffo try some defecit pulls. New vid coming soon ;)