PDA

View Full Version : Staying heart healthy...

Altephor
08-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I know a lot of people here are fans of 'eat everything in site', but I am a little concerned for my heart health. I have pretty high chol. and triglycerides already and I'd love to bring it down. I need to put aside my desire for bulk and strength for a little cardiovascular health at the moment. I am still lifting but I'm adding a lot of cardio. Anyways, could use some suggestions for some healthier snacks, meals, foods in general.

New2IRON
08-31-2009, 10:45 PM
^^ Nuts in general have high ldl's which lower hdl's... Almonds are recommended for heart health and flax seed oil.. Mix the flax seed oil with a good fruit shake and just eat some almonds on your breaks

VikingWarlord
09-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Read Built's article on fats. I'm too lazy to look it up but it's in the archive somewhere.

jp2
09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
oatmeal, fish oil, nuts, avocados, beans, whole grains, fruits, veggies

Rogue
09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
V8 juice is excellent for the heart and very tasty!!

sharkall2003
09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
There is a large source of heart healthy foods. According to Men's Health you should consume foods with monunsaturated fats and stay away from saturated fats. Don't cut them out entirely, but limit them. Look for foods with good amounts of fiber: oatmeal, beans, green leafy veggies, berries, and some nuts (preferably almonds). Most other fats have a high concentration of omega 6 to omega 3 and it should be the other way around. Try and eat good fish fats from salmon and tuna.

If you're worried make sure you're regularly seeing your doctor (every six months). Your heart is nothing to joke about.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/25-top-heart-healthy-foods

sharkall2003
09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
V8 juice is excellent for the heart and very tasty!!

Actually, it has high amounts of sodium...not exactly heart healthy.

xstalkrx
09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Actually, it has high amounts of sodium...not exactly heart healthy.

they have a low sodium version.