PDA

View Full Version : What's good about this sport

vdizenzo
08-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Scott "Hoss" Cartwright donating half of his earnings from the SPF ProAm to Bob Youngs medical bills. What an amazingly class act. Our sport is filled with great men and women. That's why we love it. Let's start celebrating the good things in powerlifting again.

KarstenDD
08-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Most everyone you meet in this sport is more than willing to help you get better.

sayagain
08-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Most everyone you meet in this sport is more than willing to help you get better.

Agreed. This forum is a testament to that.

NickAus
08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Very good point Vinnie, great people.
I am relatively new at powerlifting but have always been involved in sport,from powerlifters I have had lots of help from most and a TON of help from a couple of people who owe me nothing.
I in turn try my best to help other lifters where I can.
I am glad to be part of this and I will be doing it for a long long time.
Once again good point, lots of positives in this sport!

chris mason
08-27-2009, 06:28 PM
When you actually go to a meet you see what is good. There are a LOT of very nice, cool people that will give the shirt off their backs to anyone that needs it.

bencher8
08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Lots of lifters give everything they know to help other lifters and advance the sport. People like scott giving half his winnings to bob, rob L selling t-shirts and all the help that went to Rick at BIG, the list goes on and on.....the sport is full of people like this. Its one of the reasons I like this sport so much...

but then you have the other side of Rob...there are people that are scared of him lol

evilxxx
08-27-2009, 06:41 PM
When you actually go to a meet you see what is good. There are a LOT of very nice, cool people that will give the shirt off their backs to anyone that needs it.

Very true...I have only competed 4 times between 01- 04 and sometimes it feels that you can show up to the meet gearless and you will still be competing with gear... like drag racing...everyone is great at helping out each other, even if they are competing on the same class.

Cyrus Ford
08-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Scott "Hoss" Cartwright donating half of his earnings from the SPF ProAm to Bob Youngs medical bills. What an amazingly class act. Our sport is filled with great men and women. That's why we love it. Let's start celebrating the good things in powerlifting again.

Definitely a great act of kindness. Yes it would be nice to focus on the good things in powerlifting. Too much hating and speculation!

slashkills
08-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Agreed. This forum is a testament to that.

this forum and every one here have been a huge help to me.

Chris Smith
08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I think the comraderie is great within powerlifting (although you cant tell by looking at the internet). I have been to tons of meets and training sessions over the years, and everyone is super cool, willing to help and rooting for the fellow lifter, and afterwards, drink some beers and shoot the ****. Thats what I like about it. To me, lifting is just half the fun. Of all the meets I have been to, I have never seen people that are disgruntled, bad mothing everything, etc. Then the next day you get on the internet, and everything gets torn apart and ripped to shreds. I guess I just expect it now and dont really give a ****.

Detard
08-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Or the socks off their feet.:hello:

I competed in an IPF meet last year and forgot long socks. I wouldnt' have been able to lift if some guy hadn't given me his socks. Thanks guy (whoever you were)

JK1
08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Powerlifting is the only organized "sport" where I know where you go to a meet and see doctors, lawyers, kids, retireees, college students, truck drivers, mechanics... basically you name it in terms of education and profession and they are all in the warmup room laughing, talking, helping each other out, cheering one another on on the platform, and making sure that the other lifters do as well as they possibly can. Hell, I've literally gotten off the bench at a bench contest and handed my wraps to another lifter that needed them in the middle of the contest? Why? Because they needed good ones, I had good ones. We shared. Thats what is important about powerlifting.

We really do need to focus on the positive things... . things like Scott donating his prize money to Bob's medical bills. Lets face it, Bob is going through a very tough time. He needs every bit of help and support we all can give him.... Its that that makes this sport a good thing, not the online bitching, the internet critics, not the stupid arguments about gear and squat depth and all the other bull**** bellyaching.

Vincents 605 lb bench press at his age was pretty cool too.

Priest
08-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Usually, when I hear Vinny or Hosses names I usually follow it up by some kind of
reference to cheeseburgers or Farm animals.

But, truth is Hoss and Vinny are class acts and great lifters. Both of these gentlemen
are great role models for young lifters to look up to.

Priest

mdschultze
08-28-2009, 12:24 AM
It is the only sport that I have competed in where my competitor gave me advice and help. I mean I guy in my weight class gave me advice and showed me how to wrap my knees. I've made more friends at meets than I ever thought I would make.