PDA

View Full Version : How often do you cheat.

bass slayer
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
How often do you have cheater meals? Stuff like Cake, Pop, fried foods, Ice cream, etc?

VikingWarlord
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Meals? Never. I don't eat a lot of crap, I just occasionally have a few mixed drinks. That's the extent of my cheating. No desire for any of that stuff anymore.

Unreal
08-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I've had 2 "cheats" in the past 5 weeks.

It all depends on your diet plan, how far under maintence, and if you have planned refeeds.

Mercuryblade
08-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Once a week.

Irish Pilot
08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I let my schedule dictate. If a big event comes up (family affair, vacation, etc.) I splurge some. I also allow myself a guilt-free meal once a week. After a long conversation with a successful competitive bodybuilder, he suggest that I give myself one meal a week where I dont worry about macros, calories, timing, carbs, etc.

Something to the effect of...

"Give yourself that one meal a week to look forward to, and consider it something you have earned. It wont set you back, and in fact it will help your metabolism, recovery, and give you some mental release that will...over time...allow you to maintain a clean diet without prolonged binge interruption."

It was basically one of those "dont forget to live!" speeches. I think his biggest point was that one meal a week will prevent you from getting "worn out" on a strict diet over time.

To each there own. There are some meals (pizza, beer, etc.) that I randomly like to enjoy and dont want to create the stress of trying to "fit" them in to my macros, calories etc. Call it less than hardcore, but I intend to have a 95% clean diet for the rest of my life vs a 99% clean diet for...how long could that really last?

YMMV.

Mercuryblade
08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I should add that I eat perfectly during the week, so I can turn one night into a drunken food killing festival and not feel guilty. It doesn't seem to screw things up too badly for me, but to eacht their own.

Irish Pilot
08-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I should add that I eat perfectly during the week, so I can turn one night into a drunken food killing festival and not feel guilty. It doesn't seem to screw things up too badly for me, but to eacht their own.

Indeed. The body is an interesting thing. So many people argue that alchohol is so destructive to a diet, yet I have friends who eat clean all week, then get trashed on beer, etc. on friday and saturday (easily enough calories to negate any deficit during the week mind you) and they still lose weight.

The "liquid calories" argument is for another thread, but if a calorie was a calorie there should be no reason that I shouldnt be a 450+lb man after my college years. But I digress...

After experimentation I have found that I can eat clean all but one meal of the week, and my weight loss is the same had I eaten in deficit all week. I believe the body seems to work on trend almost as much as the whole cals in vs cals out process.

Focused70
08-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Depends on your goals.

I'm fortunate to have a "see food" metabolism. :)

Once a week is not uncommon.

Mercuryblade
08-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Once a week is not uncommon.

I seem to remember back when I joined these forums, whenever a thread came up about cheating, once a week was the standard response.

Focused70
08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I would go more than that but these days I try to keep within the bounds of reason.

Having a 36" waist isn't my idea of a good time...ymmv though. ;)

dannyocean1996
08-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I cheat when I need a mental break or an occasion arises. Sometimes I seek out a clean cheat which is just a **** ton of food but generally clean food.

vdizenzo
08-29-2009, 11:39 PM
When dieting I have no more than 3 cheat meals per week. That means 90% of my meals are on target. Three meals are kind of like a cheat day, but actual cheat days don't work for me. Eating bad for an entire day throws me off completely. My three cheat meals for this past week were, chicken fingers and mashed potatoes, homemade pizza, and a steak and cheese sub. What I do now also is try to make a few better choices with these meals. No bread and butter at the restaurant with the chicken and potatoes, had a protein shake with the homemade pizzas to fill up a little before eating, and no chips or regular soda with the cheesesteak. Works for me. I'm just trying to get in better shape. I'm not looking to get under 10%.

Sidior
08-29-2009, 11:40 PM
When I'm dieting once a week or so. The rest of the time every other day.

Off Road
08-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Having a wife, two kids, and a busy life means that there are times I'm going to eat out and ingest some crappy food. I just enjoy it and go back to my regular eating habits. I try not to do it more than once or twice a week (at most), not because it throws me off, but because I'm trying to instill good habits in my kids.

Al19067
08-30-2009, 09:24 AM
I didn't kno there was a such thing as "cheating" when bulking

TremL96
08-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I cheat several times daily. No joke. My diet sucks somethin terrible.

I didn't kno there was a such thing as "cheating" when bulking

If your doing a clean bulk, there is. If you're going on a dirty bulk, you might as well eat w/e the hell you want.

bass slayer
08-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I cheated majorly today. I went to a movie and had some popcorn and Mountain dew, then later we had doughnuts and hot chocolate. My diet sucks on weekends.

Mercuryblade
08-30-2009, 08:10 PM
had a protein shake with the homemade pizzas to fill up a little before eating

This is a brilliant tactic that I use a lot. If I know I'm going to be surrounded by some ****ty food I'll down a protein shake so my stomach is pretty full. That way I can still get a taste of the food (maybe a few hundred calories) without feeling starved.

TremL96
08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
The only protein shake around my town that I've ever seen is muscle milk, and it's some expensive **** for me to use regularly.

VikingWarlord
08-31-2009, 12:11 AM
I ate like **** this weekend and I'm feeling it. Little booze, a large pizza (and some of another), cookies, lots of potatoes and pasta. My body hates me. That's why I'm still up at 2:15am.

Songsangnim
08-31-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't worry unduly about "cheating" these days...I just eat less of it then I would otherwise.

Jayfive
08-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Normally I allow myself a 4 hour cheat window each week and space things out. Technically it turns into a refeed instead of a cheat. This weekend sucked though, I've been sick so I was too tired and lazy to make food so I ended up eating pizza, microwave chicken fingers, and mac and cheese. Now today I feel like garbage and I'm bloated. I hate eating like that.

Abe Froman
08-31-2009, 10:45 AM
When dieting, I cheat every Sunday. I'm positive people need at least one cheat day a week for sanity. And I'm also positive that a strict diet 6 days a week with 1 splurge day, is not going to throw off your dieting physique in the slightest.

Mercuryblade
08-31-2009, 10:57 AM
The only protein shake around my town that I've ever seen is muscle milk, and it's some expensive **** for me to use regularly.

Have you heard of protein powder?

gregory.rox
08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
I cheat almost every day. lol But you don't have much to choose from at school... :/

Having a 36" waist isn't my idea of a good time...ymmv though. ;)

Lol, I'm 17 and I got a 36" waist. :o

twm
08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
this topic suddenly reminds me of an anecdote i experienced somewhat recently.

I used to work with this obese woman who had vegan tattoos and always talked about veganism etc. i caught her eating a huge piece of cake made from products containing dairy. this wouldnt be a big deal but she spoke loudly against dairy, meat, etc regularly

she was fired shortly thereafter

MarkM
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
barely ever, once every few months i wanna more often, but can never bring my self to

vdizenzo
08-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Friggin' cheated once already this week and it's only Monday. Now I only have two cheat meals for the rest of the week.

Andre518
09-03-2009, 06:08 AM
I track all my food on fitday all week and eat a lot but all clean food. The weekend I eat clean but do not track my food. I went 5 months this way dropped 33lbs last week I went back to my hometown Syracuse NY for the NY State Fair and ate everything I wanted for 5 days and only put 4lbs on and Im still at 242 for my weight class for my meet in Nov so to me it was an even trade. lol. :thumbup:

Songsangnim
09-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I cheat almost every alternative days. I love to enjoy some meals like Cake,Ice cream and pizza every day. When dieting I have no more than one cheat meals per week and it is very good. I avoid bread, chicken and butter at that time.

Why would you avoid chicken when dieting?

Girn26
09-03-2009, 06:19 PM
ill be cheating today cuz its my birthday lol

CaptainMorgan
09-03-2009, 06:19 PM
She's talkin' 'bout dat Kentucky Fried.

Everybody needs a little--hey! hey!--KFC!

bass slayer
09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I had 3/4 of a pizza tonight from little ceazars.