PDA

View Full Version : Does variety matter?

bass slayer
08-29-2009, 06:41 PM
If I have a meal plan made up for my specific macros, should I follow that meal plan every day so I know I am eating enough? Or do I need to make meal plans for each day of the week? I ask this because I made my own fitday account and when I entered in the food for my normal food plan, I found out I'm not eating close to what I need. I had to add in more foods and snacks and realized that I will have to force myself to get to my goals and hope I dont throw up. I have to eat 3700 calories and about 250g of protein and struggle to even get 3000 calories and 190g of protein. Anyways I dont have to worry about eating too much I guess.

vdizenzo
08-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Consistency is key. Track everything for about a month. It will be a pain in the ass, but after you do it for a while it will be second nature. Then you will not really have to track anymore. Don't sweat it, most people are not eating nearly as much as they think. Also, change it up. I know the macros on about 25 meals that I interchange.

Yamar
08-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Variety is very important for vitiams and minerals. Eating the same thing every day isn't going to kill you, but you will be in better health getting in a variety from day to day. Mix your vegetables and fruits from day to day and do the same with your meats. Red meat one day, fish the next etc...

I have been doing lots of thinking about this as well. It takes way to much time to plan out a day from scratch and fill your macro quota. To get in variety I came up with a weekly format. I do a 4 day split so day's 1 and 4 are the same and days 2 and 5 are the same, days 3 and 7, non training days, are the same and day 6 is sort of a vanity day. I just stay within a calorie range for that day and try to eat balanced meals.

So doing this you are still getting variety from day to day but you can still throw your meals together being that they are planned. For even more variety I think I'll switch up the entire format every 4-6 weeks. Took me a few hours in the store and another few hours on fitday to throw it all together but it works and it's healthy!

New2IRON
08-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Variety is always necessary in your eating. Keep red meats out of your diet, substitute for chicken and fish... The recommended food chart for the u.s.a puts read meat at the top w/ a once per week serving for optimum benefits nutritionally. Get some collared greens from a local market and mix w/ ham slices and beans for a very healthy well sufficient meal w/ all the same benefits as steak and hamburg

VikingWarlord
09-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Variety is always necessary in your eating. Keep red meats out of your diet, substitute for chicken and fish... The recommended food chart for the u.s.a puts read meat at the top w/ a once per week serving for optimum benefits nutritionally. Get some collared greens from a local market and mix w/ ham slices and beans for a very healthy well sufficient meal w/ all the same benefits as steak and hamburg

What?

There's nothing wrong with lean red meat. The "recommended food chart" is a bunch of bull**** that says you should only have 3 servings of dairy and 127 servings of grains, give or take. It's garbage and not even most nutritionists use it.

OP, as long as you're getting all the macro- and micronutrients in, you don't need variety on a physiological level. However, you'll get burnt out and really start to hate what you're eating.

You don't have to micromanage everything. If you eat a little less one day, eat a little more the next. Make sure you get your protein in first and then eat peanut butter and things that are calorie dense. Play around with making shakes and whatnot. If you hate it, you won't stick with it.

New2IRON
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
^^ wrong get your water soluble vitamins everday and fat soluble vitamins once ever 2-3 days...man just quit responding to me.. you have no idea what your talking about

fat is where all your energy comes from...do not eat protein first you will be tired as hell.. for every gram of protein its 4kcal of energy, for fat its 9kcal, get those mono and poly un sats first and include protein later... really, you need a nutrition background

Guido
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry but Viking is right, the USA food "pyramid" is a load of crap. Fat is not where ALL of your energy comes from. People get along just fine on 2g per lb of bodyweight protein plus about 40% of their calories from fat sources, along with some (but much less than the "recommended amount") of carbohydrates.

I'm curious as to what your educational background in nutrition is, New2Iron. Do tell. Something tells me it has far too much influence from mainstream nutrition textbooks and ADA guidelines.

VikingWarlord
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
^^ wrong get your water soluble vitamins everday and fat soluble vitamins once ever 2-3 days...man just quit responding to me.. you have no idea what your talking about

fat is where all your energy comes from...do not eat protein first you will be tired as hell.. for every gram of protein its 4kcal of energy, for fat its 9kcal, get those mono and poly un sats first and include protein later... really, you need a nutrition background

You might possibly be taken more seriously if you sourced any of your claims and had some idea of proper English syntax instead of typing like a middle schooler.

Fat is the least preferred source for energy in the body. The molecular structure of the macronutrients makes carbohydrate the most easily accessible for fuel, then protein, then fat.

As for being "tired as hell" if you eat protein first...I don't even know what to say to that. I've never in my life experienced this but, if your nutrition textbook says it's true, I guess I'll start training myself to be tired as hell after eating protein. :confused:

I'll stop replying to your posts when you stop posting ridiculous nonsense.

tom183
09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
OP, as long as you're getting all the macro- and micronutrients in, you don't need variety on a physiological level. However, you'll get burnt out and really start to hate what you're eating.

This.

Eh?

New2IRON
09-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Here let me school you a bit ...

Every gram of food we consume is measured as 1000kcal's. It's a measurement of energy. For macro nutrients being, lipids, proteins, and carbohydrates here is there ratios. For ever gram of protein or carb you eat you get 4kcals of energy, for every gram of fats you eat you get 9kcals of energy. The more rich in fat your foods are the higher your energy output is going to be. And im not talking saturated and trans!!

And as for you viking warlord...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/david7.htm

Now for the fats. Fats are very important. In the body, fats are the main source of energy. Believe it or not, fat combines with glucose for energy in order to spare the breakdown of protein. This way protein can be used in order to do its job, make more muscle!
Like I said, fat broken down in the body gives 9 kcals per gram. Now think about that, since fat releases more kcals (energy) per gram, it only makes sense that your body would first use fat as its chief source of energy.

Anyone who knows anything about nutrition knows this... You my friend need to quit talking brah and go read before you argue with me

Sensei
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
The key there is "as long as you're getting all the macro/micronutrients in". I think (and I am not a nutrition expert by any means) that commonsense would conclude that a varied diet (of healthy foods) would be healthier than eating the same foods (even if they are good choices) everyday.

I don't believe that, for example (as we discussed in this forum once upon a time), eating Subway sandwiches and taking a multi-vit/min is giving your body everything it needs. Is that a better diet than much of the rest of the world eats? Of course. Short term will it work? Sure. Is it the best diet for you long term in terms of health? No. JMO.

New2IRON
09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
^^ I like this guy ...He applies common sense instead of making ignorant conclusions..Common sense is not so common around here

Mercuryblade
09-01-2009, 11:58 PM

Since when is pork not a "red" meat?

New2IRON
09-02-2009, 12:07 AM
^^ ugh what bro? No one said pork is not a red meat?

Off Road
09-02-2009, 12:37 AM
It's the "other" white meat :)

Jayfive
09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Every gram of food we consume is measured as 1000kcal's. It's a measurement of energy. For macro nutrients being, lipids, proteins, and carbohydrates here is there ratios. For ever gram of protein or carb you eat you get 4kcals of energy, for every gram of fats you eat you get 9kcals of energy. The more rich in fat your foods are the higher your energy output is going to be. And im not talking saturated and trans!!

And as for you viking warlord...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/david7.htm

Anyone who knows anything about nutrition knows this... You my friend need to quit talking brah and go read before you argue with me

I typed out a long involved reply regarding this and deleted halfway through. You're mostly wrong and you lost all credibility with me when you linked BB.com.

Fats are the primary source of energy but you don't structure a diet plan around them

Well I have one and I still say you're wrong. Eat the fat first and include protein later? What does that even mean?

How about this. You go on a diet involving primarily fats and include that along with a workout routine. I'll go on a diet involiving primarily protein and include that with a workout routine. I can practically guarantee, forgoing any sort of god given miracle, that not only will my lifts go up faster than yours but I'll still have enough energy to slap you for being so wrong.

And yes, this is shorter than my previous reply, I went into too much detail in that one.

New2IRON
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
when did i ever say to structure your diet around fats??? show me bro because i read through my posts about six times and do not see this. I was simply explaining that in the morning your first meal should be high in fat content around 12 percent of your reccomended 25 to start your day off and the protein should be added in a little later so you dont dwindle off at the begining of your day. fat is your main source of energy, your body oxgenates it at 9 kcals per gram, go google that and you will read about it time and time again. its a biological fact. again i never said to structure your diet around fat. it should be structured around complex carbs and yes protein. i was simply informing the op to never cutt fat sources out or he will be tired as hell.. now go kick yourself for sounding like a moron

Unreal
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
How does fat having 9 cals a gram have anything to do with this discussion. No one is argueing that. We all know the calorie break down of fat vs protein vs carbs. How does 200 calories of fat provide more energy then 200 calories of protein?

Jayfive
09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
when did i ever say to structure your diet around fats??? show me bro because i read through my posts about six times and do not see this. I was simply explaining that in the morning your first meal should be high in fat content around 12 percent of your reccomended 25 to start your day off and the protein should be added in a little later so you dont dwindle off at the begining of your day. fat is your main source of energy, your body oxgenates it at 9 kcals per gram, go google that and you will read about it time and time again. its a biological fact. again i never said to structure your diet around fat. it should be structured around complex carbs and yes protein. i was simply informing the op to never cutt fat sources out or he will be tired as hell.. now go kick yourself for sounding like a moron

First, you are misinterpreting macro nutrient formulas Bro. Second, the way you stated the above in your previous post sounded as though you were telling the OP to prioritize fats. I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement but the fact remains that just because fat has more cals than protein, that does not mean it is the primary source of energy in your body. It's far more complicated than that and I'd rather not get into it. But yes, fat has 9 cals per gram whereas protein and carbs have 4 each. If that's what you want to go on, then alcohol should provide me with more energy than carbs and protein as well since it has 7 cals per gram.

Also, I hate to be a grammar nazi but... really?

Edit: Put the quote in to highlight the statement I was misinterpreting.

Holto
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
:lurk:

The iron newbie is quickly becoming my favorite poster.

:omg:

bass slayer
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
WOW!!!!! This thread went WAY beyond my expectations, lol. Maybe it should just die off.

I finally went to fitday.com and came up with 2 diet plans I can interchange with one another. Both fit my macros almost perfectly. Thanks to all the advice.

Nicky
09-02-2009, 04:02 PM
:lurk:

New2IRON
09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Lets try this again Jay Five... Lets take protein for example. Lets say you consume 20 calories, that's 800kcals of energy. Lets say you consume 20 calories of polyunsaturate or mono sat fats, that's 1,800 kcals, which is biologically more fuel? Come on man I know you can do it!!. Your body needs fats (the good kind) to function. Without fat even protein synthesis wouldn't be possible. All Im saying is do not cut out healthy fats. EVER! Go eat a bag of mixed nuts one morning and let me know how you feel. Most bags of nuts contain 110 fat calories of 180 per serving, with 3 servings in a bag. Than the next morning drink a protein shake. Chances are you will feel way more energized with that bag of nuts..

But my recommendation is a nice big fruit smoothy with a hand of almonds and a scoop of pure whey isolate... and your good.... But keep arguing with me I guess..

Daniel Roberts
09-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Lets try this again Jay Five... Lets take protein for example. Lets say you consume 20 calories, that's 800kcals of energy. Lets say you consume 20 calories of polyunsaturate or mono sat fats, that's 1,800 kcals, which is biologically more fuel? Come on man I know you can do it!!. Your body needs fats (the good kind) to function. Without fat even protein synthesis wouldn't be possible. All Im saying is do not cut out healthy fats. EVER! Go eat a bag of mixed nuts one morning and let me know how you feel. Most bags of nuts contain 110 fat calories of 180 per serving, with 3 servings in a bag. Than the next morning drink a protein shake. Chances are you will feel way more energized with that bag of nuts..

But my recommendation is a nice big fruit smoothy with a hand of almonds and a scoop of pure whey isolate... and your good.... But keep arguing with me I guess..

Your posts are irresistible.
Are you able to explain how '20 calories, that's 800kcals of energy. Lets say you consume 20 calories of polyunsaturate or mono sat fats, that's 1,800 kcals'?

Specifically how '20 cals' = '800kcals'

and how '20 calories of polyunsaturate or mono sat fats' = '1,800kcals'.

Jayfive
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM

At no point did I say you didn't need fats. I said that they aren't used as the primary fuel for your body all the time. Reading comprehension must be strong in those dietician classes you have there. Furthermore, you're taking classes but going by the RDA? What classes are you taking? Are you specialized in Athletic Performance or Sports Nutrition? You've done nothing the entire time you've been here but argue with people. Clearly you must be right because you took a couple classes and these guys who have been putting this **** into practice for years on years must be wrong. B/c the textbook says so.

I'd love to rise to your bait and debate sports nutrition with you but Bass Slayer brings up a good point that we're cluttering his thread. So I unfortunately have to decline any further argument. Sorry ^^ Brah! :hello:

Edit: Hold on, wait! Did you just recommend whey isolate? Really? Didn't you just spend an entire thread preaching the evils of supplements and protein powder?

Go back to BB.com, you'll fit in nicely.

New2IRON
09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Mr roberts... here is the forumla for calories.

1 calorie is = to 1,000 kcals

1 gram of fat is worth 9kcals and 1gram of protein or carbs is worth 4ckals

Multiply the amount of protein, carb or fat by its equivalant

Protein & carb : 20 x 4 = 80 x 1000 = 80000kcal

Fat: 20 x 9 = 180 x 1000 = 180,000kcal

I forgot to add a zero lol, was ina hurry but thats how it works...

New2IRON
09-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I NEVER said whey isolate is bad lmao...I said your body prefers food... take your own advice and please read my responses better

tom183
09-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the schooling. :rolleyes:The part in particular my remark referred to was:

fat is where all your energy comes from...do not eat protein first you will be tired as hell..

Also, when you say "The more rich in fat your foods are the higher your energy output is going to be. And im not talking saturated and trans!!"

Are you implying that unsaturated fats have a higher energy content than saturated fats?

New2IRON
09-03-2009, 01:05 AM
No sir...All fats have the same equivalent in kcals... Sat, trans mono and poly un are all worth 9kcals...

But only 2 of the four fats are good for you... The RDA for trans fat is 0% daily, this more than cholesterol is associated w/ heart disease... you usually get some though because if its .4 percent food industries round down. Also the RDA for sat fat is not above 4g per any food or serving, but any more is no good at all

Get those nut fats, mono and polyun

Daniel Roberts
09-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Mr roberts... here is the forumla for calories.

1 calorie is = to 1,000 kcals

1 gram of fat is worth 9kcals and 1gram of protein or carbs is worth 4ckals

Multiply the amount of protein, carb or fat by its equivalant

Protein & carb : 20 x 4 = 80 x 1000 = 80000kcal

Fat: 20 x 9 = 180 x 1000 = 180,000kcal

I forgot to add a zero lol, was ina hurry but thats how it works...

Try again.

tom183
09-03-2009, 02:59 AM
No sir...All fats have the same equivalent in kcals... Sat, trans mono and poly un are all worth 9kcals...

But only 2 of the four fats are good for you... The RDA for trans fat is 0% daily, this more than cholesterol is associated w/ heart disease... you usually get some though because if its .4 percent food industries round down. Also the RDA for sat fat is not above 4g per any food or serving, sat fat is also not good...at all ...

Get those nut fats, mono and polyun

Reason? (for the bolded part)

Travis Bell
09-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Your posts are irresistible.
Are you able to explain how '20 calories, that's 800kcals of energy. Lets say you consume 20 calories of polyunsaturate or mono sat fats, that's 1,800 kcals'?

Specifically how '20 cals' = '800kcals'

and how '20 calories of polyunsaturate or mono sat fats' = '1,800kcals'.

Agreed

New2Iron, your math is really flawed. BB.com has misled you

Guido
09-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Methinks Mr. New2Iron is confusing his grams and kcals and creating his own bogus formulas.

Methinks also that Mr. New2Iron has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to nutrition.

Unreal
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I agree that he has NO clue on what he is talking about. His post are fun to read tough. I know it isn't nice to laugh at ******ed kids but he makes it too easy.

Sat fat not good for you at all? You do know that sat fats are needed and used for production of hormones such as testosterone?

Mercuryblade
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I agree that he has NO clue on what he is talking about. His post are fun to read tough. I know it isn't nice to laugh at ******ed kids but he makes it too easy.

Sat fat not good for you at all? You do know that sat fats are needed and used for production of hormones such as testosterone?

I love blanket statements about what is "good" and what is "bad".

Holto
09-03-2009, 03:09 PM

Not to mention the lining of every cell in our body the phospholipid bilayer, it's nothing but saturated fat and cholesterol. Two things the average person thinks they should avoid.

sharkall2003
09-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Not to mention the lining of every cell in our body the phospholipid bilayer, it's nothing but saturated fat and cholesterol. Two things the average person thinks they should avoid.

I think in general we all agree that SOME saturated fat is necessary, but it shouldn't be the basis for your overall fat intake. I remember reading that it should be 10% of total fat intake, but some nutritionists say up to 25% of total fat intake can be saturated.

Mercuryblade
09-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I think in general we all agree that SOME saturated fat is necessary, but it shouldn't be the basis for your overall fat intake. I remember reading that it should be 10% of total fat intake, but some nutritionists say up to 25% of total fat intake can be saturated.

To make things even further complicated, there is significant diversity in how different people are able to process different fats.

Holto
09-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I think in general we all agree that SOME saturated fat is necessary, but it shouldn't be the basis for your overall fat intake.

Certainly. In fact, you'd die if all you ate was sat fat. (no poly)

Saturated fat is not an essential nutrient because our bodies can make it. There are exactly two essential fatty acids, if you're getting them in sufficient quantities, the makeup of the rest of your intake doesn't matter much. Other than going too low on sat fat and having it impact hormone production.

Built used to say that percentages are meaningless as our bodies can't do math. Consider the simple numbers of needing 10 grams of EFA's per day. That doesn't change much if you're bulking or cutting but the % of your total cals could change drastically as your daily intake of cals is higher or lower.

Her approach of working out grams of protein and fat required per day is to date the best I've seen. Once requirements are met, the resultant totals and percentages are meaningless.

New2IRON
09-03-2009, 05:18 PM
New2Iron: Also the RDA for sat fat is not above 4g per any food or serving, but any more is no good at all

Again no one said to AVOID sat fats lol. I clearly remember stating to keep it at 4g or lower for anything your eating as a general rule of thumb. Holy **** do you people read. Further more.

My formulas are wrong lol?

1 Calorie = 1000kcals

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_kcals_are_in_one_calorie
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070518032034AADeKkQ
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_calories_in_1_kcal

It's common knowledge that a kilo calorie is determined as 1 nutritional calorie.

Now lets do this math again.

When your body breaks down fat for EVERY gram its worth 9 nutritional calories that's 9000 kcals...
If you eat a serving of 20g of fat, that's 20 grams @ 9 nutritional calories per gram. 9 x 20 is equal to 180... Now since were talking kilo calories, a kilo is a thousand.. 180 x 1000, = to 180,000 kilo calories

Please tell me where that is wrong

**** lets do it this way, I got some pop tarts in front of me.. Total calories are 200 with 45 calories from fat.

Nutritional content in grams:

Total fat, 5g

Now if we take my applied formula that fat is worth 9 calories for every gram...we get this

Total fat = 5g x 9 = 45

and 1 calorie is = to 1kilo calories, that's 45,000 kilo calories

vdizenzo
09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Try again.

Jeez who does this Daniel Roberts guy think he is http://www.wannabebig.com/author/daniel-roberts/ ? Doesn't he know he's talking to New2IRON.