PDA

View Full Version : Certified Mash Monster!

thewicked
08-29-2009, 07:19 PM
haha love me some grip strength!

this gripper is rated with the COC #3.5...closed it 3 times to get my cert!

now I'm waiting my turn to get a shot at the MM3 gripper cert. It's rated between a 3.5 and a 4 captain of crush gripper! About 180lbs of closing pressure. The mm2 is at 170lbs.
www.mashmonster.com

Zbs6ljVzz94

STAY TUNED FOR MORE GRIP TIPS FROM ATLARGE NUTRITION!

cphafner
08-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Fixed your video link. To post you tube links you only have to put the part after the = into the youtube brackets.

Buccos1
08-30-2009, 05:49 AM
awesome! congratulations

Brian Hopper
08-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Sweet!!!

dammstrate
08-30-2009, 08:16 AM
There is a "certification" you get when you close a gripper?

What's the purpose/point?

barbell01
08-30-2009, 09:39 AM
:confused:

thewicked
08-30-2009, 12:40 PM
people have been doing grip feats of strength since powerlifting and strength sports have been around..

from the captains of crush grip series to one handed deadlifts.. the lifting of the famous circus bells, dinney stones, axles... the 727 1handed deadlift by herman G..the 300lb rolling thunder deadlift by mark felix at the arnold classic. The grip gauntlet at the AC as well...

JPS's 500lb full deadlift with one hand.. how does one ever expect to handle heavy weights if they can't even hold onto them? GRIP STRENGTH! There's been so many different "tests" of grip strength..but the grip community and gripboard.com came up with a unified testing of gripper or "crushing" hand strength by making a set of special grippers. 1 for each level of certification to see who in the world has the strongest hands.

without strong wrists and forearms how can you handle huge benches and presses? without strong grip..how can you pick up heavy deadlifts, etc.

it all plays a huge role and one that isn't ever considered and grossly neglected on all levels of lifting. There is more money handed out in every grip contest i've ever been to than most powerlifting meets save the pro shows.

and it's just another form of strength and lifting that i and many others enjoy..

dammstrate
08-30-2009, 02:16 PM
the "grip strength community"
"gripboard.com"
??

Guess you learn something new every day. I can do rack pulls with 800+
with no grip issues, so I guess I never gave it much thought.

dynamo
08-30-2009, 02:22 PM
yeah this stuff is cool. I think doing those grip things was the second exercise i did as a kid, first being bench obviously :D . When I get some extra money I definitely plan on buying a set of grippers I totally love working out grip strength.

thewicked
08-30-2009, 10:23 PM
the "grip strength community"
"gripboard.com"
??

Guess you learn something new every day. I can do rack pulls with 800+
with no grip issues, so I guess I never gave it much thought.

lol that would be one of the forums on the subject yes..

i've done a few pulls with 805 myself with little issue...over/under is one thing...

double overhand without a hook grip is something I'd like to see..most 700+ pullers can't manage 500lbs this way. Breaks a whole new light on things.

evilxxx
08-31-2009, 10:19 AM
lol that would be one of the forums on the subject yes..

i've done a few pulls with 805 myself with little issue...over/under is one thing...

double overhand without a hook grip is something I'd like to see..most 700+ pullers can't manage 500lbs this way. Breaks a whole new light on things.

Double over is really something else. I can hold 675 for well over 10sec doing rack pulls but only 405 with a double overhand, and only for like 3-5 sec.

PWR
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
I really dont see the point, especially since you used both hands to close it 95% of the way and put it right in the sweet spot of your palm.
As long as I can hold on to my deadlifts without problem I dont really see the big benefit.

Congrats to you as this is something you have went after.

barbell01
08-31-2009, 08:32 PM
I really dont see the point, especially since you used both hands to close it 95% of the way and put it right in the sweet spot of your palm.
As long as I can hold on to my deadlifts without problem I dont really see the big benefit.

Congrats to you as this is something you have went after.

i couldn't agree more. these things seam silly. no offense.

Travis Bell
08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
It may not necessairly have an application to you, but I recommend you go out and buy one of these. It's not so simple. He's not closing it 95% of the way with both hands, by the rules you're allowed to assist it enough to get your pinkie around it.

I could have it closed within a quarter of an inch with both hands and I could bet you money I wouldn't be able to close it all the way with one. At least not 3 times. Those are quite difficult

There are grip competitions for such things. One of the guys I used to train with a long time ago did them quite frequently. There are many different events, some of which Ryan listed already. Many times you'll see them at strongman contests.

He's not doing it to give him a benefit for deadlifting, he's doing it because it's grip event training. You'll find arm wrestlers use these a ton as well.