PDA

View Full Version : Off days/gpp conditioning

Detard
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Just wondering what you guys do on off days. For the past 2 years i've done nothing on off days, and let my body recover, but I find on saturday and sunday when I have no work to do, i'd like to start doing something productive.

Things that have crossed my mind: sled work, tire flipping, farmers walks, and some band work.

Basically i'm interested in some of the things you guys do on off days to either help with recovery, cardio, stretching, or anything other than stuffing my face all day (which I already do).

vdizenzo
08-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Check it out http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126556 . I am a big believer in GPP and extra workouts with bands the day after for recovery. In my whole career I have usually only been good for 2 attmepts per lift. Now at 40 I hit a pr on my second and almost rammed home an even bigger third. That is clearly a result of the extra work I have done.

ThomasG
08-30-2009, 03:38 PM
First off what are your primary goals?

On Wednesday my off day I usually do nothing besides foam roll/stretch sometimes I'll play a pick up ball game. However, on saturday and sunday I usually Stretch, foam roll, Jump rope, or play sports whether that being baseball basketball whatever.. The activities you listed above are pretty taxing depending on the intensity of course. What is your first lift day of the week?

dynamo
08-30-2009, 06:30 PM
I have never done anything on my off days, but to geto conditioned for fighting I decided to add hill sprints 3 days a week and 10 minute jogs 3 other days a week. I am hoping to get some serious endurance and hopefully partake in some active recovery.

Detard
08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Check it out http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126556 . I am a big believer in GPP and extra workouts with bands the day after for recovery. In my whole career I have usually only been good for 2 attmepts per lift. Now at 40 I hit a pr on my second and almost rammed home an even bigger third. That is clearly a result of the extra work I have done.

Hey Vincent thanks for the info. I'll check that link out for sure. It's good to know that youve had great results from the added work. Hopefully I see the same thing.

I am a powerlifter, and i'm training for another meet in december, but I am just interested in doing some stuff when i'm bored (I like to keep busy).

Thanks for the suggestions so far

KarlMarx
08-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Some strongman stuff is good. Tire flips, farmers walk, and car push/pull (an airplane if you are really bad***). I also used to do (until I got bored of it) a medicine ball routine for 30 mins. We did intervals doing like three sets of different exercises. We also got some heavy balls (haha, the other ones!): I think we have 25lbs and 35lbs.

Some people like to hate on Yoga, but my body loves me whenever I do it.

-Cory

Travis Bell
08-31-2009, 09:14 PM
You can even go in and do some light light lifting. For many people who have to drive to the gym, it's not worth it, but I live like 1/8 of a mile from my gym so going down just for that isn't a big deal.

Lots of times I'll do

3 sets of 15 reps DB bench - very light, just enough to get the blood moving

3 sets of 10 or 12 reps on Band GM's

Stretching, foam rolling or even light cardio

As well as prowler pushes, tire flips and farmers walks.

Just try and keep it to 30min and no longer.

Much more than that and you'll end up basically creating another workout, which defeats the purpose of it being rehab oriented.

I'm with Vincent. I feel a TON better when I do my GPP work. Where I noticed it a lot was being able to hold my breath longer when using my shirt. All that pressure and I didn't feel completely gassed after an attempt. Makes a huge difference.

SEOINAGE
08-31-2009, 11:24 PM
I need to stop doing manual labor, been considering that my GPP lol, even though I probably should do some other stuff, I guess I'm just making excuses. I would think with a degree I wouldn't have to still be doing so much physical labor, but guess that's how it goes.

Hopefully I will be more dedicated and get some other stuff in.

Detard
09-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Sounds good Travis. I think band work and sandbags will be fun for off days. I'll try it for sure