PDA

View Full Version : Body fat percentage ????

bass slayer
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
I know there really is no way to really know for sure but what would you guess? This is me at 202, think it would be ok to bulk up to 225?

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/bassslayer/PICT0245.jpg

Abe Froman
08-31-2009, 02:30 PM
I'd have you at around 18 percent.

You're a smallish 202. Not much definition or muscle development going on there. I say add some muscle but don't really do serious bulking as it appears you may bulk with a lot of added softness also. A "lean 250" bulk will be very hard to do with your type of physique (sans some AAS). Definitely gotta develop that chest.

bass slayer
08-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah my chest is my worst. I have a hard time really targeting my chest. Do you think should just eat maintenence for a while?

Abe Froman
08-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah my chest is my worst. I have a hard time really targeting my chest. Do you think should just eat maintenence for a while?

Well, how is your diet looking like now? And what is your weightlifting routine like? Don't lift just to be bigger, lift to have lean muscle mass and look good...

bass slayer
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Im doing this routine at the moment, just modified it a little bit so we can do 3 days a week instead of 4. My diet right now probably isnt the best, but im in the process of fixing that. Im maintaining at 202 at the moment.

Monday: Chest and triceps

•Incline dumbbell press 3 x 8-12
•Flat barbell press 3 x 8-12
•Pec flye machine 3 x 12
•Lying EZ-bar extensions 3 x 12
•Weighted dip 3 x 8-12
•Rope cable pushdown 3 x 12

Tuesday: Back

•Chin-up 3 x 8-12
•Deadlift 3 x 8-12
•Lat pulldown 3 x 12
•Barbell row 3 x 8-12
•Seated cable row 3 x 12

Thursday: Legs and calves

•Squat 4 x 8-12
•Leg press 3 x 12-20
•Lying leg curl 4 x 12
•Stiff-leg deadlift 4 x 12
•Leg extension 3 x 12-15
•Standing calf raise 3 x 10-12
•Seated calf raise 2 x 20

Friday: Shoulders and biceps

•Seated dumbbell press 4 x 8-12
•Lateral raise 4 x 10-12
•Rear lateral raise 4 x 10-12
•Barbell curl 3 x 10-12
•Preacher curl 3 x 10-12
•Hammer dumbbell curl 3 x 10-12

Cards
09-01-2009, 06:12 AM
after being on this site for about a year I would have figured your routine would reflect that. change your routine, SS, the Texas Method, or BGB are suitable routines. I'm going to go out on a limb aswell and say you need to up your intensity.

ELmx479
09-01-2009, 06:24 AM
I have to agree with the others. You need to build some mass with the right diet and a solid program like starting strength before focusing on anything else at the moment.

Abe Froman
09-01-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb aswell and say you need to up your intensity.
Bingo.

Your routine is rather basic. Just kind of going through the motions for each body part. Switch up the amount of exercises, weight, reps and intensity you are doing. Physique wise it almost appears as if you don't even work out at all, so I think you are cheating yourself. Gotta go harder in the gym brotha!!

bass slayer
09-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I know my physique really isnt too impressive right now, I didnt really have much to work with from when I started, I gained 35lbs of mostly lean mass and added close to 2 inches to my arms and I can see my abs now when I flex. I see my own progress and am happy so far, Im just having a hard time filling out my frame. I think my diet had alot to do with it also. I wasnt eating enough.

I have done starting strength already, I did that for 3 months and was doing really good, but then I went to Mexico and got really sick and lost everything I gained (Mass, weight, etc) I then started over from scratch and did a routine my weight lifting teacher put together and did that for three months or so. I then started the So you Wannabe a Bodybuilder routine and did that for 3.5 months. I am now doing the intermediate routine that Ron Harris put together. I want to see if this routine can give me more deffinition or not. Im going to give it a go for a couple months and see what happens. If not I might just try wannabe big 1.1 routine.

bass slayer
09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Bingo.

Your routine is rather basic. Just kind of going through the motions for each body part. Switch up the amount of exercises, weight, reps and intensity you are doing. Physique wise it almost appears as if you don't even work out at all, so I think you are cheating yourself. Gotta go harder in the gym brotha!!

What do you mean switch up amount of exercises, weight, and reps and intesity? Thank you for your help.

Abe Froman
09-01-2009, 10:55 AM
What do you mean switch up amount of exercises, weight, and reps and intesity? Thank you for your help.
Well in lifting terms "shocking" your muscles is a must. Meaning when you do the same routine and same exercises for too long the routine becomes mundane and your muscles stop responding. So to switch it up, instead of doing 3 sets of flat bench with moderate weight on Monday, move that chest workout to Thursday and do 4 sets with heavier weight. And instead of pec decs, that day do something else for chest like incline pushups. Switch the exercises and weights up. Then the next week do 5 sets with light weight, then back to the heavy weight the next week. The same can be done for all muscle parts.

bass slayer
09-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Well in lifting terms "shocking" your muscles is a must. Meaning when you do the same routine and same exercises for too long the routine becomes mundane and your muscles stop responding. So to switch it up, instead of doing 3 sets of flat bench with moderate weight on Monday, move that chest workout to Thursday and do 4 sets with heavier weight. And instead of pec decs, that day do something else for chest like incline pushups. Switch the exercises and weights up. Then the next week do 5 sets with light weight, then back to the heavy weight the next week. The same can be done for all muscle parts.

So your saying I really dont have to stick to the routine as it is then. Do you think I would get better results in my chest if I did like a 5x5 or more of a low weight high rep? I have a really hard time hitting my chest. Thanks again.

Abe Froman
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
So your saying I really dont have to stick to the routine as it is then. Do you think I would get better results in my chest if I did like a 5x5 or more of a low weight high rep? I have a really hard time hitting my chest. Thanks again.
Basically yea, never stick to the same routine for too long. If you have problems with your chest I suggest really mixing it up.

Chest routine can be something like:

Week 1

Dumbbell presses, heavy weight 3 x 5-8 and finish with a drop set
Incline barbell press heavy weight 3 x 5-8 and finish with a drop set
4 sets of 10 dips
Flat bench pec flies with moderate weight 4 x 10-13

Week 2

Flat bench moderate weight pyramid sets, 4 x 10-12
Incline dumbbell presses moderate weight, 4 x 10-12
Cable flies light weight 4 x 12-14
Wide spacing incline pushups 3 x 15-20

Then for weeks 3 and 4, switch up the exercises and routines. And one week if you start with bench as the first exercise in your workout, then the next week do it at the end of your workout.

bass slayer
09-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks abe, that should help out alot!

Cards
09-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I want to stress intensity to go along with what abe told you. Someone's sig has a quote from one of the big names and it's something along the lines of

"you want scientific proof? **** you, I've got years of blood, sweat, and tears."

that's what it takes. Time and the type of dedication that when you hit rep 4 and you want to pass out... you go for rep 5...then you go for rep 6.

I keep saying this to new people, but when I'm done with bench, pullups, and dips I can't walk. I legit need to sitdown and rest for 5-10 minutes because I can't move.

You have to want it.

bass slayer
09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
I want to stress intensity to go along with what abe told you. Someone's sig has a quote from one of the big names and it's something along the lines of

"you want scientific proof? **** you, I've got years of blood, sweat, and tears."

that's what it takes. Time and the type of dedication that when you hit rep 4 and you want to pass out... you go for rep 5...then you go for rep 6.

I keep saying this to new people, but when I'm done with bench, pullups, and dips I can't walk. I legit need to sitdown and rest for 5-10 minutes because I can't move.

You have to want it.

My intensity is usually always like that (most of the time anyway) I usually go to failure on most of my sets. I figure I spent a good 9 months learning, I now know what I need to do, and I will do ANYTHING to achieve my goal. I finally got my fitday account and came up with 2 diet plans to help me achieve my goals. I figure If I eat 3600-3700 calories a day along with 280-300 g of protein I should do a whole lot better. I will post pics again in 4-6 months and we'll what happens. Thanks again.

Off Road
09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think that is too much volume for a beginner.

radioheadhead
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think that is too much volume for a beginner.

+1 esp 3 diff curl exercises. wasting your time.

I'd throw in some heavy rowing/ shrugging motions on Friday to replace two of your curl exercises, they'll hit your biceps and it's been 3 days since your back day...

bass slayer
09-01-2009, 06:07 PM
+1 esp 3 diff curl exercises. wasting your time.

But I want de gunz!!!!! lol. My body seems to respond very well to lots of isolation. I think I just need to be eating more and up the protein.

radioheadhead
09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
But I want de gunz!!!!! lol. My body seems to respond very well to lots of isolation. I think I just need to be eating more and up the protein.

if it's working, go with it...

Off Road
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
My body seems to respond very well to lots of isolation.

No offense, but I'm looking at your picture, would you mind telling me where exactly your body has responded to this volume?

siuecougar
09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
No offense, but I'm looking at your picture, would you mind telling me where exactly your body has responded to this volume?

i must agree...

bass slayer
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM

lol, yeah I can see why you would say that. Im blaming my crappy diet I HAD. I think im going to adopt starting strength for a while like everybody suggested. I might go back to this routine later.

Polish Hammer
09-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Id put you at 17-18%.And yes,you could go to 225 and add some real muscle and keep it at 20% or lower.If you feel like your gettin sloppy,just add some more cardio.Dont be afraid to put the weight on,just be prepared to be a little more sluggish,maybe some joint pain.

twm
09-03-2009, 05:30 PM
there is no way youre 18. 15, absolutely tops. post a picture of your side profile.

/agree with the SS comment. you gotta put weight on the bar.. you dont need 30 sets per day to gain size... just adequate calories and progression doing compounds

bass slayer
09-03-2009, 06:06 PM
The quality really sucks on these pics... I need to get a better camera.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/bassslayer/progresspics-1.jpg

twm
09-03-2009, 06:29 PM
ya the lighting sucks and you are not even close to 18. you have ab definition.

i said this in your other thread, but you could easily put 50lbs on your frame and probably not break 18% bf over a year or so

ZenMonkey
09-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Basically yea, never stick to the same routine for too long. If you have problems with your chest I suggest really mixing it up.

Chest routine can be something like:

Week 1

4 sets of 10 dips

Week 2

Then for weeks 3 and 4, switch up the exercises and routines. And one week if you start with bench as the first exercise in your workout, then the next week do it at the end of your workout.

This is very bad advice for novices and intermediates... and almost anyone not on drugs and or not professionally body building. This looks just as bad as his original routine. OP, you need to be getting stronger and bigger. You dont do that by switching stuff every other week with a bunch of volume.

Do 3-5x5 every WO day. Squat every WO day. Push every WO day. Pull every WO day. Forget about the flies and pec dec. You need to be pushing big weight to get the size you want and you sure as hell wont get there with the BS routine you posted or the one quoted here.

You wanna know how to really "shock" the muscles? Put more weight on the bar every time you can.

Also, Id put you closer to 13-12%... no way are you 18. I can almost see 6 abs and can definitely see their shape.

2 things you can do to get jacked:

GOMAD
SS then Texas Method

I feel like I need to tell you to get intense and ****in angry in the gym. SMASH ****ING WEIGHTS!

bass slayer
09-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks Zen. Im not strong at all anyway, 3x10 lifts dont help at all when it comes to strength.. I think starting strength and Texas method could help me achieve some good strength.

Abe Froman
09-04-2009, 08:19 AM
This is very bad advice for novices and intermediates... and almost anyone not on drugs and or not professionally body building. This looks just as bad as his original routine. OP, you need to be getting stronger and bigger. You dont do that by switching stuff every other week with a bunch of volume.
What?? "Very bad", "someone not on drugs"??? Are you really kidding me!! With that routine?!! You clearly don't know what you're talking about. What is your routine like, 4 sets of yoga and pilates? What on earth is so bad about that, I gave him a BASIC routine for chest. You are acting like I told him to start deadlifting and squatting double his body weight. He clearly needs a change in his regimen...what he has been doing has provided the results in the picture he provided, which are minimal. I upped his intensity minimally and gave him an idea on how to switch up his routines. Any basic lifter can do this and he stated he's been working out for some time already, so.

"You wanna know how to really "shock" the muscles? Put more weight on the bar every time you can."

Yea great advice. What a shock that is. Can you give him any more mundane of a routine? Follow this and he'll get to 250 by the time he's 58. And I don't see any abs in that first pic what so ever, and no definition you are definitely at the least over 15 %.

BassSlayer, clearly this guy thinks that anyone who lifts weights must be babied for years before they do anything significant. Theres nothing wrong with the routine I gave you, that is easy and basic enough for anyone to follow. You can listen to a former trainer/competitor and lifter for 15 years or to a guy with 5,000 internet posts who wants you to lift like a pu$$y.

ELmx479
09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
What?? "Very bad", "someone not on drugs"??? Are you really kidding me!! With that routine?!! You clearly don't know what you're talking about. What is your routine like, 4 sets of yoga and pilates? What on earth is so bad about that, I gave him a BASIC routine for chest. You are acting like I told him to start deadlifting and squatting double his body weight. He clearly needs a change in his regimen...what he has been doing has provided the results in the picture he provided, which are minimal. I upped his intensity minimally and gave him an idea on how to switch up his routines. Any basic lifter can do this and he stated he's been working out for some time already, so.

"You wanna know how to really "shock" the muscles? Put more weight on the bar every time you can."

Yea great advice. What a shock that is. Can you give him any more mundane of a routine? Follow this and he'll get to 250 by the time he's 58.

BassSlayer, don't listen to this guy...Clearly he thinks that anyone who lifts weights must be babied for years before they do anything significant. Theres nothing wrong with the routine I gave you, that is easy and basic enough for anyone to follow. You can listen to a former trainer/competitor and lifter for 15 years or to a guy with 5,000 internet posts who wants you to lift like a pu$$y.

HAHA, Zen you lift like a puss :whip:

Abe Froman
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM
HAHA, Zen you lift like a puss :whip:
Oooh so i guess this guy Zen is the king sh1t of Wannabebig huh...so he can come and criticize someone's routines like he's somebody. all good, keep sucking him off.

ZenMonkey
09-04-2009, 08:50 AM
First, I did misread your routine. I didnt realize that was a week's prescription. But, even so, a bad one at that. I can think of a number of better ways to specialize the chest.

Almost everything you said in this thread is bad. Here is a short list:

You guessed a bf% that is way off

You prescribe something way too advanced for someone of the OPs stature and advancement... and a subpar one at that

You tell him to do light cable flies

You told him his original routine is "rather basic".....?

Can you even explain what "shocking" the muscles means?

You think SS and TM are for pussies. You want intensity? Go squat 3x a week.

You tell me who doesnt know what they are talking about. If your argument is so strong why are you attacking me, personally? There is no need to personally insult anyone like that, myself or Elm.

Southern Beast
09-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I would say 14% BF, give or take. You have a lot of work to do, but a positive comment is you have a great base to start with. Tall and probably naturally lean, if you can get your diet and workouts together and stick with it, you'll be a beast.

+1 for starting strength. http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

Abe Froman
09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
First, I did misread your routine. I didnt realize that was a week's prescription. But, even so, a bad one at that. I can think of a number of better ways to specialize the chest.

Almost everything you said in this thread is bad. Here is a short list:

You prescribe something way too advanced for someone of the OPs stature and advancement... and a subpar one at that

You think SS and TM are for pussies. You want intensity? Go squat 3x a week.

You tell me who doesnt know what they are talking about. If your argument is so strong why are you attacking me, personally? There is no need to personally insult anyone like that, myself or Elm.
Ok...well first off, you can approach a disagreement with a better statement than "this is very bad advice" - as that gives the impression you are trying to make someone seem like an ignorant fool who has never lifted a finger in his life and giving information totally dangerous advice to a beginner. I am likely as experienced as you so the "im better than you" thing you were playing I felt to be a little immature.

In any case, moving on... I altered his routine based on the assessment that he:

#1 - Said he has been following that routine for some time and based on his picture, I see no muscular development.

#2 - Said his chest was his weak point

#3 - Has a mundane routine in which he is not applying enough intensity to.

#4 - Offered him something that has worked very well for me and people I've trained.

Body fat is often times a hard thing to guess as people some carry more fat in different areas of their body. For instance, I am 18% body fat and have much more definition than he does. In his first pic I saw flab in the lower abs, and overall softness on his body with no vascularity or muscular hardness. 18 was perhaps a overestimation but by no means a long stretch for him to be that number. He is also tall and some of that fat on his body is kind of stretched out, giving lesser visibility to how much is really there. I would not have him at 12 percent, at least 15 or higher.

and?

what is wrong with hitting the chest with an alternate exercise which is not strenuous and gives a good range of motion? i'm not getting your point here. cable flies have always worked for me in helping develop my mid and outer regions of my chest. its also a different exercise for him to do, which goes along in me giving him a more stimulating chest routine.

Is it not?

Incline dumbbell press 3 x 8-12
Flat barbell press 3 x 8-12
Pec flye machine 3 x 12

This is just about the most flat and listless chest routine you can come up with. He's been doing this for some time now and wonders why his chest isn't developing? Hmmm...

This part is kind of baffling me...too advanced? How on earth is bench pressing and dumbbells too advanced? I don't know what you think a beginner or intermediate is supposed to be doing. If I told him that he should be doing single max rep decline barbell, weighted dips for 100 reps, inclined clap pushups and kamikaze pec dec flies THEN you can tell me its too advanced for him.

His beginner routine has done next to nothing for his chest. Fair enough for one to assume his chest is his stubborn muscle? Maybe. Maybe he's just not intense enough. Whatever the case, I took both scenarios in to account. When your muscles have become used to a routine you have to switch up the manner in which you stimulate them, correct? In his case I say that he needs to change the exercises, change the order in which he does them and from week to week to make small changes in what how he works out that muscle.

Im really trying to find the instance in where I came off too extreme or maybe misconstrued in the advice i offered him and I can't see where your critique is coming form.

ZenMonkey
09-05-2009, 03:45 PM
By reading your posts it is obvious you lack basic knowledge for training a novice or intermediate lifter. No offense intended, but bad advice is bad advice.

Abe Froman
09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Just keep digging your hole. Maybe your outer chest muscles can help you get out of it. Seriously, by reading your posts it is obvious you lack basic knowledge for training a novice or intermediate lifter. No offense intended, but bad advice is bad advice.
Well if this is the retort you offer in hopes to prove your point, then great job.

All the bad advice given in this thread was when you started telling him that since hes a beginner he has years before he can do anything considering a worthwile chest routine. Which i have done myself and seen work on countless people i've trained.

And lemme guess you're one of the Mr. "The Chest is All One Muscle and you Cannot Hit Any One Portion of It" dudes right...ok. Flat bench for him and he's good. :hello:

ZenMonkey
09-05-2009, 03:54 PM
All the bad advice given in this thread was when you started telling him that since hes a beginner he has years before he can do anything considering a worthwile chest routine. Which i have done myself and seen work on countless people i've trained.

I never said that. The chest routine you gave was complete an utter crap. And yes,many things work, some just better than others. Yours is of the former variety.

Abe Froman
09-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I never said that. The chest routine you gave was complete an utter crap. And yes,many things work, some just better than others. Yours is of the former variety.

Wow. I'd think with your 5,000 posts on a weightlifting board you would have learned something about weighlifting. Maybe once you hit 10,000 you'll know 1/10th what I do. Good luck!

Songsangnim
09-06-2009, 11:26 PM

"shocking" your muscles is not a must. If you want to shock your muscles stick your finger in an electrical outlet.

Your muscles don't know what day it is or how many sets you are doing. Nor does it matter to them. Changing the days and number of sets may work or may not, but are NOT guarantors of success in and of themselves.

Also switching the exercises can be counter-productive. If one wishes to get better at the bench press...then bench press. Doing another exercise is simply not going to have that much carry-over.

Likewise if someone wishes to get stronger...training light one week and heavy the next is also counter-productive. You are not allowing the CNS time to adjust for one thing.

Songsangnim
09-06-2009, 11:37 PM
W

And lemme guess you're one of the Mr. "The Chest is All One Muscle and you Cannot Hit Any One Portion of It" dudes right...ok. Flat bench for him and he's good. :hello:

How is it possible to isolate a single area of one muscle? A muscle moves as one. It does not move in little subsections. If that were possible, then the muscle would tear off the bone if part of it was contracting, but other parts were not.

We have gone over this exact topic many many times in these forums and the consensus (based on anatomy and physiology) that isolating a certain part of the pectoralis major is impossible. Now you are entitled to your opinion, but I can tell you right now, that very few experienced people are going to listen to anything you have to say or take you seriously, if you wish to persist in this view.

Meat_Head
09-06-2009, 11:55 PM
What?? "Very bad", "someone not on drugs"??? Are you really kidding me!! With that routine?!!

You're forgetting that you're ON DRUGS. People who aren't using can't deal with the volume that you can, or the silly routines you suggest for beginners:

Week 1

4 sets of 10 dips

Week 2

What is that crap? Who does that provide optimal results for? It takes me a tenth of a second to think up a better 'chest' routine for this guy:

Bench press - 5x5

Repeat after 3-5 days.

Done.

cable flies have always worked for me in helping develop my mid and outer regions of my chest.

I can't properly address this because I'm laughing too damn hard

Incline dumbbell press 3 x 8-12
Flat barbell press 3 x 8-12
Pec flye machine 3 x 12

Again... not so good.

What's better? Let's pull another out of the hat:

Incline dumbell press - 3x5

Repeat after 3-5 days.

Done!

And lemme guess you're one of the Mr. "The Chest is All One Muscle and you Cannot Hit Any One Portion of It" dudes right...ok. Flat bench for him and he's good.

Hey Zen doesn't need me to defend him, but anyone who believes that you can hit the "outer" or "inner" or "lower 2nd quadrant" chest has no idea what they are talking about. You shouldn't give anymore advice to newbies. Or anyone else.

Oh yea and to the OP, looks like 14% to me.

Off Road
09-07-2009, 07:48 AM
There are a lucky few guys out there that do gain well from volume and isolation right from the get-go. From the pictures and history of the OP, I'd say he isn't one of them (sorry). He needs to stick to a basic and abreviated routine with the focus of getting stronger.