PDA

View Full Version : Desserts made from wheat flour still bad?

Jilla82
09-02-2009, 12:12 AM
If a cakes main ingredients are Wheat Flour, whole wheat pastry flour, Turbinado sugar, Soymilk and Veg shortening is it still just as bad as regular junk food you can get anywhere?

sure you get a lot of calories, but they arent bad ingredients.

Mercuryblade
09-02-2009, 09:59 AM
The glycemic index between whole wheat flour and white flour isn't terribly significant. You are still going to be consuming a lot of simple carbs, and fat, although the extra fiber in the whole wheat flour will make it slightly more heart healthy.
As for the soy milk, there is really no reason to subsitute soy for dairy unless you have digestive issues. I've found that many soy milks actually have more sugar and less protein per serving than cow's milk.

Unreal
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Veg shortening is probably transfat. No big difference at all between wheat flour and white flour. Hell, white flour is just wheat flour that is bleached white.

Holto
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Veg shortening is probably transfat. No big difference at all between wheat flour and white flour. Hell, white flour is just wheat flour that is bleached white.

White flour has the bran and germ removed which contains a great deal of nutrients.

Unreal
09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Compared to whole wheat flour but if it just list wheat flour, then later whole wheat the I would assume the majority of it is not whole wheat.

Holto
09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Ah missed that. Thanks man.

Mercuryblade
09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Ah missed that. Thanks man.

I did too.