PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Firing Sequence in Bench Press

bencher8
09-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I was thinking about this some and I was wondering what you guys think or have thought about this subject...

When I used to raw bench press or DB press I would feel my pecs fire first, then my front delts and then my triceps. This is the normal firing sequence when performing a bench or Db Press. Since my injury I do these movements now and I can feel my triceps and rear delts fire moreso than my pecs and front delts. When I get done lifting, the only muscles that are tired or sore is my triceps and rear delts...i feel nothing in my pecs or front delts.

Now we all now, or should know, that when lifting in equipment the primary movers are the triceps, rear delts, lats. This leads me to my primary thought on the matter. Since I have taught myself to fire my triceps, rear delts, and lats more than my pecs and front delts, I get a lot more out of my equipment. I also cannot bench near as much unequipped as I once could. I believe that the firing sequence is why I dont move near as much weight than I used to...

Just random thinking and thought I would post something up to get a little thoughts going....

slashkills
09-02-2009, 04:36 PM
I think the firing sequence for raw benching depends on grip. When i do cgbp i feel my triceps fire first but as i move my grip out wider i feel my shoulders and chest fire first.

NickAus
09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't really push my raw stuff like I prob should but from shirt benching I mostly get sore in the entire back/rear delts 1st hands/forearms and triceps 2nd.
You told me the prime movers for shirted benching are triceps, rear delts and lats and you were 100% right, I put alot of effort into those groups and it has paid off.
But like you said my shirt bench has gone up heaps while my raw has not changed when benching raw I do find it hard to get the pecs to fire.
Suits me I love shirt benching!

JK1
09-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I was thinking about this some and I was wondering what you guys think or have thought about this subject...

When I used to raw bench press or DB press I would feel my pecs fire first, then my front delts and then my triceps. This is the normal firing sequence when performing a bench or Db Press. Since my injury I do these movements now and I can feel my triceps and rear delts fire moreso than my pecs and front delts. When I get done lifting, the only muscles that are tired or sore is my triceps and rear delts...i feel nothing in my pecs or front delts.

Now we all now, or should know, that when lifting in equipment the primary movers are the triceps, rear delts, lats. This leads me to my primary thought on the matter. Since I have taught myself to fire my triceps, rear delts, and lats more than my pecs and front delts, I get a lot more out of my equipment. I also cannot bench near as much unequipped as I once could. I believe that the firing sequence is why I dont move near as much weight than I used to...

Just random thinking and thought I would post something up to get a little thoughts going....

ok, you got me thinking with this one..... What you are thinking definately makes sense... I think.

I've got to think through it on my own self first...... I'm not planning on doing any RAW benching anytime soon, as far as I'm concerned those days are past me, that said, I do most of my bench training RAW. Also, I'm nowhere near the bencher you are, but for me, the first thing I feel fire in a RAW or in a shirt is lats. As the bar is coming down, I tighten up and I feel my lats then my rear delts pull my chest up into final "launching" position as the bar is touching and they contract coming off the touch too. In a shirt, I feel it alot more in the rear delts as I am touching, then its triceps to start the acceleration the bar off the chest, anterior delts with pecks to push through the midrange sticking point and finally triceps much more so through the top 1/4 or so to lockout....

I think there are two big factors that have to be considered with this. One is chest "depth" a person with a big round chest is going to use more triceps obviously. The other is arm length. Short thick arms like mine are going to be very different than someone with long skinny arms (like my wife)...

Ok, thank you, now I have something to stew on the next 3 days while driving back and forth to work.

vdizenzo
09-02-2009, 07:43 PM
After my good raw cycle I put a shirt on after a half a year layoff and felt stronger and in a better groove than ever. I think I finally got to a point where my raw and shirt setup and press are very similar. I only feel my precs when I finsih a bench press and that's just from squeezing the lockout.

bencher8
09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
well thats what I posted it for...not really feedback so much, but just to get people thinking about what is actually happening when they are lifting..I think thats a big part of figuring out how to do this. Reading things with an open mind and really thinking about what is happening is an important aspect of doing well in this sport.