PDA

View Full Version : False grip benching?

robchris
09-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Just a question, how many of you guys bench false grip?

I've heard a lot of pros and cons on both sides of the fence...

I personally do both... I know it sounds crazy but I feel more powerful with the "suicide" grip when I'm RAW. However shirted I grip the bar due to touching lower.

Thx. for the input/ opinions
RC

vdizenzo
09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I use a false grip on both raw and equuipped. I have tried to change and cannot. It has never caused me any problems.

robchris
09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Vin,

Yeah, I noticed that in your 605 video! It just seems like it less stress on my shoulders and pecs when I'm raw... I think most guys are scared they'll dump the bar or something but I never had that problem...

I'm waiting to hear from bench8,travis, chris, and the rest of you big bench guys (BTW, usapl makes me grip the bar but I still train thumbless most the time)

Brian Hopper
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
I use to bench with a suicide grip but now I wrap my thumb around. I don't think I would feel comfortable benching suicide now. IMO, I do think that if you have to compete with your thumbs wrapped then maybe train that way.

Jay1
09-03-2009, 07:01 AM
I've always wrapped my thumbs around the bar. Seen a couple of crashes in meets where guys didn't wrap and lost the weight out of their hands (hurts me just thinking about it.) I also lost part of my left hand in a car crash years ago so now I have to use everything I've got to be able to continue to lift. :)

Travis Bell
09-03-2009, 07:30 AM
I know Ryan Celli benches with suicide grip in addition to Vin. Can't argue with either of their results LOL

I bench with regular grip. I can't squeeze the bar like I need to when I use false grip. When I take a weight out, I grip the bar very hard and it really helps me tighten up my upper back

PDR
09-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I know this is going to sound ironic, but I always used a false grip until I attended Vinny's bench seminar. I came out of there with a wider, thumbs under grip and really squeezing the bar. That afternoon with Vinny and crew was the best thing that ever happened to my bench in the last 5 years.

vdizenzo
09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I know this is going to sound ironic, but I always used a false grip until I attended Vinny's bench seminar. I came out of there with a wider, thumbs under grip and really squeezing the bar. That afternoon with Vinny and crew was the best thing that ever happened to my bench in the last 5 years.

I'm so glad it worked out well for you. Yeah, I like to teach do as I say not as I do. I think I get away with a few things others may not as a result of my time in the sport.

bencher8
09-05-2009, 12:30 PM
My opinion of it is either can be used. There are pros and cons for each...

False grip allows a lifter to turn his elbows in more. If you grip the bar in a false grip, it naturally will turn your elbows in more. This is good for equipped benching.

Some have said that false grip allows the bar to fall out too easy. I dont agree with this, as if a bar is gonna fall out, it doesnt matter if your thumb is there or not. Your thumb isnt gonna stop 400, 500, or 600+ pounds. Trust me, I have dropped 700+ before and my thumb wrapped didnt help stop it lol

Zak Freiwald
09-05-2009, 02:02 PM
My opinion of it is either can be used. There are pros and cons for each...

False grip allows a lifter to turn his elbows in more. If you grip the bar in a false grip, it naturally will turn your elbows in more. This is good for equipped benching.

Some have said that false grip allows the bar to fall out too easy. I dont agree with this, as if a bar is gonna fall out, it doesnt matter if your thumb is there or not. Your thumb isnt gonna stop 400, 500, or 600+ pounds. Trust me, I have dropped 700+ before and my thumb wrapped didnt help stop it lol

Aw hell- I remember you doing that at the gym once. What was that? Like 4 or 5 plates and an obscene amount of band tension?

bencher8
09-05-2009, 02:21 PM
yeah, something like that....that band tension pulling the bar down harder sucked, good thing I had a brd there to take some steam off lol

I have actually dropped the bar a few times throughout my lifting. It always comes from my wrist going past straight. Dont know why it happens, but all I know is my thumb didnt do **** to stop it...in fact it prolly hurt me worse cause it bent my thumb to my wrist lol

robchris
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the input guys... I've never dropped a bar doing false grip bench.

I guess I'm lucky, plus I have fairly big hands and use a lot of chalk!
RC

Darracq
09-06-2009, 03:32 PM
yeah, something like that....that band tension pulling the bar down harder sucked, good thing I had a brd there to take some steam off lol

I have actually dropped the bar a few times throughout my lifting. It always comes from my wrist going past straight. Dont know why it happens, but all I know is my thumb didnt do **** to stop it...in fact it prolly hurt me worse cause it bent my thumb to my wrist lol

I used a false grip for years and years, i switched because when i was using lots of band tension with not a lot of weight it would almost jerk out of my hand taking the weight out. but i didnt have good spotters.i still find myself wanting to go back to it, but it feels weird now and my wrists hurt more,