PDA

View Full Version : Eating a lot in a short period of time

TremL96
09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Well my problem is that I'm trying to gain mass, but I have a hard time eating enough because I really don't get any free time untill like 7-8p or later. I have to go to school (I eat as much as I can in the morning, but lunch isn't much of a choice unless I feel like eating pretty unhealthy and expensively), then after school I go home and change and maybe have a quick snack and go to work for a few hours. Due to child labor laws during the week I can only work till 7p(under 16). After that I get home and if it's a w/o day, I eat and wait a while and go workout, and I like to just go out and walk around (live in the country) sometimes. So usually it's around 8 that I finally get free time as long as I finish all my homework at school.

I don't work everyday, but enough for it to be a problem for me. I have to try to eat most of the normal persons days meal in a few hours. I'm not that good with the diet part of lifting, but I thought there might be some side effects to eating too much at once? IE I stuff myself in the span of about 3 hours sometimes, will this cause my body to store any extra fat, or lose anything helpful from the foods?

Is there any way to work around this? If I could find some healthy, quick snacks, I could sneak some into school and eat them during passing period. But I can't seem to find anything that I'd be able to eat fast enough that's worth it. All help is appreciated.

cphafner
09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
If your life is busy, shakes are your friend. Pack food ahead of time. A cool of sandwiches, chicken breast, etc. There are endless quick options, but you have to be prepared. You say you run home and change. How are you getting home? Bus? Driving? Either way, the ride home is time to smash down sandwhiches. You have free periods during school? There's time to eat.

Off Road
09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Eat breakfast before school (wake up early if you have to).
Eat lunch at lunch break at school (pack a lunch)
Eat a high protein snack when you come home to change clothes.
Eat dinner...well whenever you normally eat dinner (after work I think you said).

That really doesn't seem too complicated. When there is the will, there's a way.

Daniel Roberts
09-03-2009, 12:50 AM
As the guys above said, be prepared, everyone bar the very fortunate landed gentry, has obligations, to school, to work, to partners, to children and so on; you have to work around them.

You don't state what your target food intake is, but there are quick and easy ways of getting a few thousand calories, when pushed for time, as the guys alluded to, but they only work if pre-prepared. You have to plan.

Consider pre-mixed protein shakes, with whole milk, or extra virgin olive oil, or coconut milk, they take no time to prepare and no time to drink (well the olive oil might the first few times!).

To answer your original question, no, it doesn't make a difference if you stuff yourself with the majority of the day's caloric intake in the space of a few hours - it might not be comfortable depending on amounts though.

Google Martin Berkhan for more information on Intermittent Fasting, he amongst others, advocates this style of eating.

TremL96
09-03-2009, 05:30 AM
To answer your original question, no, it doesn't make a difference if you stuff yourself with the majority of the day's caloric intake in the space of a few hours - it might not be comfortable depending on amounts though.

Alright that's all I needed to know.

I know there's plenty of times where I could eat, but getting everything prepared for each day would be a pain. I know it's what I really should do, but just trying to plan out everything I'm going to eat and when, and having to make sure I do eat it at school is kind of a pain. I know how I'm probably sounding right now, but that's how it is.

I'm kind of happy I gave up sports, or else this would be even worse than last year.

ThomasG
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Everyone is busy bud. You just gotta prepare.

PIERCEY
09-03-2009, 04:09 PM
I feel your pain dude.

I eat lunch at 1:30, and on the days I work I have to eat dinner at 3:00 because I work 4-10 and am always to busy to eat anything. Downing 2,500 calories in less than 2 hours SUCKS.

cphafner
09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I know there's plenty of times where I could eat, but getting everything prepared for each day would be a pain. I know it's what I really should do, but just trying to plan out everything I'm going to eat and when, and having to make sure I do eat it at school is kind of a pain. I know how I'm probably sounding right now, but that's how it is.

Sorry if this comes off harsh, but suck it up and stop making excuses. I just spent the last 20 minutes getting all my food, shakes, etc set for tomorrow. It will make my day a piece of cake.