PDA

View Full Version : Leg drive

Polish Hammer
09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
I have a question concerning leg drive while benching.Ive been training a long time but didnt start benching properly til about 4 years ago.I train completely Raw and plan on staying that way.Ive been working on my arch and leg drive during this time and dont seem to be making the progress I feel I should be.My arch is fairly weak due to the fact I have a short torso,severe low back issues, and am only 5ft8.I started using a basic,feet pinned behind me,on my toes leg position.The first time I did this as opposed to standard,flat footed,no arch, I could barely press 225.Ive made progress since then (best Raw bench is 345),but its my weakest lift still.I just read Vinnies article about his setup and have watched his videos,and noticed how he drives his heels into the floor(Rhodes kept yelling"toes up").So my question is if the foot position is based on body type?What feels more comfortable?Or do I need to change my entire technique?I want a 405 bench in the worst way and am tired of struggling with it.Thanks guys.

Jay1
09-03-2009, 07:49 AM
I bench the way you've described and it's consistently gotten better over time. I also added in some decline bench (3 - 5 rm) on ME days and that seems to have helped alot. It's also helped strengthen my shoulders 'cause I'm hitting them from another angle. I do then w/ pinky inside the rings to hit the triceps a little more w/ them as well. The more my arch has increased the more this lift seems to matter.

KarlMarx
09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Bump for a good question. I'd like to hear the answer to this too!:confused:

Brian C
09-03-2009, 08:32 AM
I bench the way you've described and it's consistently gotten better over time. I also added in some decline bench (3 - 5 rm) on ME days and that seems to have helped alot. It's also helped strengthen my shoulders 'cause I'm hitting them from another angle. I do then w/ pinky inside the rings to hit the triceps a little more w/ them as well. The more my arch has increased the more this lift seems to matter.

Very interesting Jay. I know theres been talk about declines being unhealthy for your shoulders, Travis brought it up before. I also set up the way you do, but I always feel that there is a better way to get more leg drive. I cant get comfortable with a flat foot though(butt wont stay down). Great question. Should make a good discussion.

Lones Green
09-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Mike, you should just play around with the different foot positions and see what you end up liking the best. Thats probably what you'll end up benching the most with. Try feet out wide, then try your feet tucked. The general consensus is to push through your heels.

vdizenzo
09-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Very interesting Jay. I know theres been talk about declines being unhealthy for your shoulders, Travis brought it up before. I also set up the way you do, but I always feel that there is a better way to get more leg drive. I cant get comfortable with a flat foot though(butt wont stay down). Great question. Should make a good discussion.

Get yourself a bigger butt or try getting your feet out or a little wider. I have had problems with my butt coming off the bench completely. I just made slight adjustments to my feet over time to keep it down. Also, have someone look from the side because I feel like my entire butt comes off, but it doesn't. Remember only part of it has to remain in contact with the bench not all of it.

bencher8
09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Vin, should he "Hoff" his way to a bigger butt? Just stuff somethiung in there? Im sorry, Im sorry...I couldnt resist it.

Seriously though....just play around with foot position unitl you find something that will work for you.

drew
09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Getting a bigger butt: you could wear a looser singlet and spray your ass with stickum. Your butt may rise, but no one will ever know. Or get your feet out wider. Whatever.

When you bring your feet out in front of you and press from your heels, you will feel almost like you are pressing the weight from a standing position. You'll be able to generate a lot more power this way. Look at the path from your feet to your back. If your feet are pinned back and you're up on your toes, there's not a whole lot of power transfer going from your legs up.

It will feel really awkward at first but you will get used to it and you should start pressing more weight.

And I was the one yelling "toes up" in that video. Damn Rhodes always getting credit for everything.

:D

Polish Hammer
09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Mike, you should just play around with the different foot positions and see what you end up liking the best. Thats probably what you'll end up benching the most with. Try feet out wide, then try your feet tucked. The general consensus is to push through your heels.

Thats exactly what Im gonna do tomorrow Lones.Probably spend the whole session experimenting.Ive never actuallt tried with heels down.Should be interesting.

Polish Hammer
09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
And I was the one yelling "toes up" in that video. Damn Rhodes always getting credit for everything.

:D

Sorry man.Didnt mean to steal your glory.haha

OGROK
09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Can anyone link me to Vincent's setup article?

Chris Smith
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
If you want to bench with your feet tucked back, you can NOT be on your toes--you need to be on the balls of your feet, and try to push your heels down towards the floor. Your heels also should not be able to touch the floor. You can get a ton of leg drive in that position.

vdizenzo
09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Can anyone link me to Vincent's setup article?

Ask and you shall receive. http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128784

Hazerboy
09-03-2009, 03:13 PM
I used to bench heels down and I do feel like I get better leg drive that way, but as Will pointed out my butt comes off the bench a lot when I do this. When I get my feet setup first, before I get my arch, I usually end up being on my toes a lot more, though I feel a LOT more solid - my butt doesn't come off the bench, my hips are higher, and I feel waay tighter, though I probably can't get as much leg drive as I should. If I were flexible enough, I feel like I could get the best of both world's and setup similiar to this: http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/Kara_Bohigian_femal_powerlifter_model_10_ezr.jpg Feet underneath the hips, though planted on your heels still, not on the toes.

(Oh man, I can feel some jokes comin on that one).

Polish Hammer
09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Spent a good hour workin on technique this morning.Tried feet wide and flat,close and flat,wide w/heels up,and close w/heels up.What I noticed is that the heavier I go,I lose alot of tightness and balance with my feet back too far.Also,with my feet flat or "heels down", I need to bring them way forward to achieve that.So what I discovered today, was that by bringing my legs in and back to where my heels are up, and my legs are pretty much hugging the bench,is where I feel the tightest and strongest.I also brought my grip in to pinkies inside ring.This helps me keep my elbows from flaring too early.I dont have video but I did find this one Of Jim Wendler that is exactly how I did it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uycwsLn2JDU