PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Hill Sprints

Polish Hammer
09-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Yeah believe it or not I live in the land of mountains and cannot find a proper hill to run on.Anyway,I set it up like this.And yes,it was inspired by Wendlers 5/3/1.

I usually start at a 9-10 incline and a 6.3-6.5 speed.I'll eventually end up at an 11-12 incline and a 7 speed.I warmup with a walk for 2 minutes and then do a 20 sec sprint with a 40 sec rest(Standing on sides of treadmill).I try to get in 20-25 trips(sprints) within a half hour.This is including a 2 minute break(light walk) every 7 or 8 trips.Its definitely made a difference.The first time I did it a few months ago,I could barely get 10.Now 25 is tough but not impossible.I do them 2-3 times a week and try not to schedule them right before squat day.I did notice I was weaker on squats the first few weeks,but I quickly adapted.Ankles and shins hurt a little,but gets better as time goes on.Anyway,give it a try.Youll feel "Athletic" again.

dynamo
09-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I used to do this but it ended up hurting my knees alot, but its not a bad idea if you don't have a place to actually run. How do you feel it carries over to real life? I remember running on a treadmill doing 6-7 minute miles but when I hit the pavement I would only be running an 8-9 minute mile.

Sensei
09-11-2009, 02:33 PM
I hate treadmills and I would fear slipping on a treadmill going fast at a reasonably steep incline.

PDR
09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I was never comfortable sprinting on a treadmill...and at my weight (250) the thing feels like it's going to fall apart. Basically I just go to the local high school football field and sprint..usually 5-10 , 50 meter dashes after a 5 minute workout. Or I'll do shuttle runs.

I do them on my off days...and mix it up between the sprinting, prowler pushes and tire flips.

I do however, do some sustained cardio on a treadmill after the weight room on my lifting days.

Travis Bell
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I hate treadmills and I would fear slipping on a treadmill going fast at a reasonably steep incline.

I've seen it happen before. Guy was sprinting as hard as he could on a treadmill, caught his toe of his shoe and it literally threw him into the wall behind the treadmill.

Fortunately the guy was a douche (one of the underarmour shirt, sweat band and sunglass wearing kids who thinks he's a pimp) so I laughed

Travis Bell
09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Actually quite scarily similar to this video

Kv5d0eMvqWU

Lones Green
09-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Actually quite scarily similar to this video

Kv5d0eMvqWU

LOL at getting his pants taken off

Clifford Gillmore
09-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Fortunately the guy was a douche (one of the underarmour shirt, sweat band and sunglass wearing kids who thinks he's a pimp) so I laughed

I sell Body Compression gear. Does that reserve a place in hell for me?

I hate hill sprints, almost as much as I hate treadmills. Its rough out there!

ql0Kr_8HbZQ

Polish Hammer
09-12-2009, 06:30 AM
. How do you feel it carries over to real life? I remember running on a treadmill doing 6-7 minute miles but when I hit the pavement I would only be running an 8-9 minute mile.

I have no idea about carryover.But being how my only goal here is to do some harder than average conditioning,it really doesnt matter to me.I will say that running on a steep grassy hill is way easier on the joints,but harder cardio wise.I wont run on pavement at all though.I have noticed a huge difference in my breathing,and my BF did drop a little.So,it works for me...at least until I get my own Prowler.

dynamo
09-12-2009, 08:05 AM
I have no idea about carryover.But being how my only goal here is to do some harder than average conditioning,it really doesnt matter to me.I will say that running on a steep grassy hill is way easier on the joints,but harder cardio wise.I wont run on pavement at all though.I have noticed a huge difference in my breathing,and my BF did drop a little.So,it works for me...at least until I get my own Prowler.

Awesome. I am off to buy a new pair of running shoes, inspired by this thread. I don't huff and puff but I do notice my breathing is a lot heavier when I walk up steps or walk a quarter mile or more. Time to train like an athlete woohoo! then next summer I am all for buying a prowler, I may even make my own.

Travis Bell
09-12-2009, 10:17 AM
If you know someone who can cut metal and weld, you're really good to go. It's not hard at all.

This past year, or rather 8mths, i've been putting a lot more time in on my GPP stuff and it's really paying off big time. I feel so much better, move easier, have more energy.

Polish Hammer
09-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Im gettin to the point where I still wanna put on weight.Every extra 5lbs feels like 20 on my ankles and shins.So its important to me to keep moving on some level.Eating alot and training is fun,but when I cant even go on a hike with my wife without keeling over,somethings gotta change,ya know?

Sensei
09-22-2009, 06:42 AM
I thought I had posted this, but maybe not in the GPP forum. I love hill sprints and do them w. a pulling harness. With a Prowler would probably be more fun than I could stand.

8rVZpwFhMSo

edit: Cleats and gradually acclimating to this are both ESSENTIAL, unless you want a mouthful of sod and/or a torn achilles tendon.

Travis Bell
09-22-2009, 08:48 AM
With a Prowler would probably be more fun than I could stand.

Mostly because on a hill like that you could ride it down hahaha

Cool video Sensei

Sensei
09-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Mostly because it would be hard as hell.

Thanks Travis.