PDA

View Full Version : Passing the FBI Physical Test

ThomasG
09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
So I have a client who needs to pass the PT for FBI

The tests consists of one minute maximum Sit-ups, continuous pushups, 1.5Mi run, and 300M Dash.

Its actually pretty challenging. Here is the scoring he needs at least 12 points http://www.fbijobs.gov/11131.asp

He needs 12 points and has to at least score one on each. He says he can get at least one on every event.

For pushups I'm planning on
Plyo Pushups
Weighted push-ups
Bw pushups
Bench Press
French Press/Tricep extension
Dips

Sit-ups
Plyo situps with medicine ball
Weighted Sit ups
BW Sit ups
Isometric Resistance Training

300M Dash
Starts, Belly and standing, about 20 yards.
40's 100's 300's and 400M Dashes.
Heavy Resistance Work Squats, Deads,Hammies, Calves, Lunges.

1.5Mi run
Intervals and continuous running. The speed work goes along with this also.

ThomasG
09-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't have a sled what are some alternatives? I have chains but draping those around the neck for sprints seems unpractical no?

drew
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Have you tested him to see what his baselines are? That would be a good start so that you can pinpoint his weak areas and focus more on them rather than train everything to the extreme.

ThomasG
09-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Have you tested him to see what his baselines are? That would be a good start so that you can pinpoint his weak areas and focus more on them rather than train everything to the extreme.

I haven't had a session with him yet but testing will be done.

Ryan Hale
09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Thomas,

I looked at the numbers,and although tuff,it really isn't that hard of test.

A few questions.How old is this person? Are they healthy or out of shape?

My son(17)has to go through a test once a month to stay active for his Navy SEAL contract.The test for him is way tougher than this test.I would say he would score 25-30 easy on the FBI test,the only spot I wouldn't really know would be the 300 meter time.But he ran a 5.07 40 so I think he would do well on the short run.Some of these numbers these SEALs(candidates) put up are crazy high.

You say 300 yard run,but the test says 300 meter run.Of course a meter is longer than a yard.

My son trains in a very simple way.To get better at push-ups then you do psuh-ups.To get better at sit-ups you do sit-ups.He does not do any of the fancy stuff you mention,and I see no need for it,but thats just me.

I would have the guy start off with 5 X 20 on situps and pushups.Add 5 a week until he can knock out 50 in a minute.
Have him run 2X a week long distance to build stamina,2x a week shorter distances.

Any questions give drop me a PM.

Ryan Hale

ThomasG
09-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the info. However, I don't see how plyometrics would not help when the goal is to get the highest repetitions. If you can explode the numbers out quick with endurance you are guaranteed success no? And yes, you're right I meant 300M 3/4lap.

KarlMarx
09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't have a sled what are some alternatives? I have chains but draping those around the neck for sprints seems unpractical no?

Consider push-ups with the chains draped over the back or neck--if you already have the chains!

KarlMarx
09-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info. However, I don't see how plyometrics would not help when the goal is to get the highest repetitions. If you can explode the numbers out quick with endurance you are guaranteed success no? And yes, you're right I meant 300M 3/4lap.

Also, Tudor Bompa has written a lot on speed. The easiest, safest, and fastest method for increasing speed is increasing maximum strength. Basically, if can bench 200, then a push-up for a 200lb person would be slow because you are working near max. If you can bench 400 say, then push-ups would be faster because the load would be a lot less.

Basically you are slow near your max but much faster when working with lighter loads. So, to go fast an easy way to do that is increase maximum strength. I'm not sure that plyometrics would help as much as max. strength in your situation. Plyo works best on people with an already well established strength basis.

d0rkyd00d
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Also, Tudor Bompa has written a lot on speed. The easiest, safest, and fastest method for increasing speed is increasing maximum strength. Basically, if can bench 200, then a push-up for a 200lb person would be slow because you are working near max. If you can bench 400 say, then push-ups would be faster because the load would be a lot less.

Basically you are slow near your max but much faster when working with lighter loads. So, to go fast an easy way to do that is increase maximum strength. I'm not sure that plyometrics would help as much as max. strength in your situation. Plyo works best on people with an already well established strength basis.

A 200 pound bench and a 200 pound person doing push-ups are way different in terms of actual weight lifted.

Chubrock
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
It's event specific. Just have him work up to some high rep sets of both pushups and situps. As for the running, have him following something similar to http://www.crossfitendurance.com . I used the same thing and dropped all my times by quite a bit.

We run the same Cooper Test for the North Carolina State Highway Patrol down here. On my first day of Patrol School I could score a 27. I should be able to score several points higher right now. Leading up to my test date, I basically did what I outlined above. I would do a set of pushups and situps every hour on the hour. Basically started at a number I could complete very easily and then each week I jumped up by 5. Once a week I would do a max in one minute session to see where I sat. This concept doesn't typically work well for most other things, but for BW exercises such as this, it does.

KarlMarx
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
A 200 pound bench and a 200 pound person doing push-ups are way different in terms of actual weight lifted.

Yes, true but that doesn't matter really to my point. If you can squat 1142 pounds then you can bang out reps with 300 lbs. If you can squat 300 lbs than you'll be lucky to get 1. If you can squat 350, then you'll maybe get three or four in a minute...
-Cory

radioheadhead
09-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I have a buddy who JUST did this like 8 weeks ago. If you want to PM me we might be able to get them into contact or something.