PDA

View Full Version : Head off the bench?

OGROK
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Why do many lifters raise the head off the bench during the bench press? I heard it helps shirted lifters touch the weight, other than that, is there any reason to do this?

Rokkg0d23
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Habit, imitation, feeling the need to watch the bar go all the way down, perhaps otherz. Supposedly keeping it down is ideal, but I can't imagine it makes that much of a difference due to the weights some of the big dawgz are putting up while raising their head.

Brian Hopper
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I always raised my head during a shirted bench. I do want to try keeping it down to see if I notice a difference, i'm just nervous about trying it.

danmac
09-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I get nervous at meets or something and watch the bar touch my chest and make sure its paused and stuff... then i get called for it (IPF) and miss the lift.

I have competed 2 times now, got red lighted at both opening benches haha.

Funny thing is, i never ever do it in the gym.

EDIT: Raw benching, so there is no purpose or gain out of doing it, i am just dumb.

Brian999
09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I noticed when my head is up and the bar is touching my chest, when I push my head back down to the bench fast, it helps me press a lot better.

danmac
09-03-2009, 10:18 PM
actually here is my first head lift (320 lbs)

zpswAdiW5SY

MarcusWild
09-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I lift on the way down and drive it back down when I press. The key for me is to make sure I stay on my traps and don't let lifting my head throw that off.

vdizenzo
09-04-2009, 05:43 AM
I started doing this when I got back to raw training and I really like it. I jacked my neck up a bit from driving it back into the bench so hard. Gotta be careful of that. I used it for my first day back in the shirt last week and I reallyl think I will like it in that training also. It's hard to explain, but I like the way it lets my shoulders rotate.