PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition question

sarno22
09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and like it so far. First let me introduce myself my names Mike I'm 22 years old from Arlington Massachusetts, I'm 5'3 163 lbs. My question is that i workout once in a while probably 2-3 times a week and i never know what to eat after i workout to get the full benefit of it like ill have a sandwich or something after but sometimes that isnt enough what do you suggest? Or is it not even food do i need a certain type of protein powder or vitamin from a vitamin shop or a GNC? I would go in there and ask but i figure they're just regular employees that are just clocked in on the job and dont know much about nutrition so i figure id ask a professional first. And going in there theres tons of different things to chose from..
I feel like i workout and then dont benefit from it by not eating the right stuff or eating fatty foods or lack of protein or a supplement i am looking for something that will give me more muscle definition and a lil buffer. I'm 5 foot 3 inches 163 pounds and i feel like the majority of my weight is fat and not so much muscle. Also how do you get rid of the little bit of belly fat right above the waist without starvingg to death?? or running 100 miles ? Ok thats all i have to say thank you for reading and i hope you take the time to answer a few of my quesitons if you dont mind.
Thanks!

Holto
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
1# Define some goals

2# Tell us what your goals are and we'll help design you a nutrition plan

Unreal
09-04-2009, 09:03 AM
What you eat after working out is just a small piece of a nutrition plan. If your serious about getting in shape then you will develop a complete diet/nutrition plan.

No reason to starve yourself to death, or do any cardio to lose weight but your not going to be packing on muscle at the same time. Sadly you pretty much got to choose one or the other.

sarno22
09-04-2009, 11:48 AM
my goals are simply just to gain some muscle and lose the little bit of belly fat im not looking for six pack abs but just not a lil belly anymore like i have now lol..
so its kinda like turning what i have now into muscle i guess you could say? when i workout all i worry about doing is bench pressing and curls and either arms or chest or back workouts i never worry about stomach or leg workouts for some reason.. is that bad? I figure make the upper body look good since that would probably be best ...?

sarno22
09-04-2009, 11:50 AM
And to unreal .. is the nutrition plann your talking about just like fruits vegetables and protein? Isnt that kind of hard to live off of? Like If theres a pie or ice cream around stay away from it? or anything that has any type of fat in it? basically?

Holto
09-04-2009, 12:39 PM
A nutrition plan is at a minimum:

Total cals, grams of fat, grams of protein, grams of carbs daily.

Then you can make separate guidelines such as, no white carbs in addition to your intake goals. I agree with unreal that post workout is not a make or break situation and it's what you do day after day and week after week that really matters.

How long have you been training? You may still be able to cash in on 'newbie gains' and effectively recompose. Generally that will last about 6 months...

Unreal
09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Your goals are not well defined or even realistic. Nutrition plan includes everything you stick in your mouth. If you can fit pie or icecream into it, great. That can normally be done, but you need to figure out if you want to focus on losing fat or gaining muscle. For now I would just focus on cleaning your diet up, doing a good full body workout, and reading tons because you have NO clue.

sarno22
09-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Holto thanks for all your helpfull tips.. do you recommend any type of protein powder or muscle builder or anything from a vitamin shoppe? or a gnc? or would food be enough to get the job done?

sarno22
09-06-2009, 01:25 AM
and unreal thats a bold statement to make that i have no clue because i do i just dont know everything about nutrition/working out which is why im on the site isnt that why your on it too? And about my diet plan i dont really have one i mean i just eat whatever i dont pig out on everything but i eat whatevers around or tastey i mean do you have a strict diet for yourself or do you just eat whatever as well ?

geordie1986
09-06-2009, 06:00 AM
when i workout all i worry about doing is bench pressing and curls and either arms or chest or back workouts i never worry about stomach or leg workouts for some reason.. is that bad?

I think this maybe one of the reasons as to why unreal is sayin you have no clue. Have a look at some of the routines on this board instead of just working on certain bodyparts, it will help you achieve alot more.

Off Road
09-06-2009, 08:26 AM
And about my diet plan i dont really have one i mean i just eat whatever

And this...It's much better to have a plan and stick to it.

Unreal
09-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes I have a strict diet.

Seriously the best thing you can do is get information and do tons of reading. There are TONs of articles and good post on this site. Read them all. Start a good routine, and start tracking your macros. That is where everyone should begin.

sarno22
09-06-2009, 02:06 PM
what is it in my routine that i should change? and what kind of diet do you suggest like an all protein/fruits/vegetables diet? low carbs that sorta thing?

Yamar
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey Sarno,

I'm new to lifting and muscle building nutrition as well. If you sped a little time and read the below articles I am certain you will know everything there is to know about diet and training. I was clueless, now I'm amazed how easy this actually is.

For putting together your diet read this:
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

And this:
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/nutrient-timing-when-science-and-marketing-collide/

For training look into this:
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/08/03/basic-whole-body-workout/

This:
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2009/01/31/simple-variation/

Than move to this:
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/baby-got-back/

For your cardio read this:
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/how-to-do-cardio-if-you-must/

As far as a protein powder, GNC sells one called Optimum Nutrition 100% gold standard whey. IMHO it's the best one they offer and not even all that expensive. I mix a shake 30 min prior to a workout, I mix it w/ milk and a bananna. For post workout I'll mix one w/ milk and honey. Pre and post workout nutrition is not a complicated eqation even though people want to make it out to be. You just need protein and a fast carb. Other than that I take ZMA and fish oil, both can be bought at GNC.

sarno22
09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
hey thanks for the helpfull tips yamar i appreciate it! :)

sarno22
09-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey i have a question... does steak and chicken = the same amount of protein that a regular protein bar or GNC product or some kind of supplement/vitamin would have? In other words instead of getting a supplement/protein bar/ vitamin of some sort instead of having any of those would it be the same if i just ate a peice of steak or a peice of chicken? Like would the result be the same ? Same amount of protein and have the same effect!
Thanks to whoever reads and takes the time to answer..

Yamar
09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Whey supplements usually have about 24 grams per serving(depending on the brand) while protein in foods can have even more. 8 oz chicken breast has 22 grams, while 8 oz of Talipa would have 38 grams!

If you go the whole foods route, I would eat a protein and slow carb meal 2 hours prior(i.e chicken breast w/ brown rice) and a protein/starcy carb post(i.e fish w/ white potato).

I may be off with all this because I have limited knowledge(currently on the learning curve myself), but from what I gather, not all protein is considered the same. Protein from lean meats, protein from dairy and protein from egg are different, as is protein from whey. The way I understand it is you should be getting a mix of all. I think protein from supplements work well in the workout window because the *kind* of protein put into them is specifaclly designed for that reason.