PDA

View Full Version : Squat question for the older guys

dammstrate
09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I find that contest-tight knee wrapping actually makes my knees ache the next day.

Normal training I wrap my known knees about about 450 or so. But full battle gear attempts either in training or contest someone else wraps them, and of course can go much tighter. The last year or so every day after a full suit workout with hella-tight wraps the knees ache terribly, and it's getting worse. Dissapates and goes away in 3-4 days.

Last night I tried some TP5000s for the fist time. Other than making my toes tingle, I woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep because the knee ache was so bad, and one knee actually has some fluid on it from a bursa sack.

Anyone else experience this? Do you really think the hella-tight wrap is worth it from a performance or stability standpoint? If I extrapolate the discomfort line, I will be done in the sport (go ahead and joke) before 2010.

dynamo
09-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I have no experience using wraps so take this for what its worth...I can see wraps helping lift more weight, but it seems to to do this they have to either have you stand up straight to release tension or to separate the two halves of your leg when youre in the hole (at the knee of course). Why not go light and completely raw for a while see if you can't rehab your joints and stabilizing muscles around your joints?

Travis Bell
09-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I have no experience using wraps

No offense buddy, but this is probably where your post should have stopped.

Damnstrate, obviously I'm not an older lifter, but I have been around some.

I think what we concluded is because of the lack of cartilage remaining in the joint, when the wraps are cranked down super tight, it was causing some friction issues.

You kinda answered your own question, you want to keep competing, but you can't compete if you have to keep wearing knee wraps this tight, so I suppose it's time to chuck the tight wraps.

Louie isn't a fan of training in knee wraps in the gym. I think I've seen the guys wear them once in the 5 years I've been there. They just save it for the meet.

deeder
09-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I like to train with medium-loose wraps at most. If I'm hitting an opener a few weeks out of contest I'll put the wraps on tight but beyond that I'm not a huge fan of tight wraps. Also, I always wrap my own knees, even in contest...

martin
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm not old, and I'm not that experienced but I lift heavy-ish weights.

I'll add that my knees also hurt for a day or two after using tight wraps. I would agree 100% that using tight wraps will at least irritate the knee if not case harm over the long run.

I tend to only use them in comps or testing a new max etc. During normal training I have found my knee to be much healthier not wearing any wraps.

JK1
09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I feel old some days, but my wife says I act like a kid most of the time.....

Heres my take on knee wraps: I partially tore my left lateral collateral ligament, my cruciate ligament, meniscus, and had a small rupture of the patellar tendon when I was 15 in a farming accident. I had just started lifting weights, so I followed the advice of those who I thought knew better than me and I wrapped my knees religiously every time I squatted or did leg presses for years. 10 years later, when I was in veterinary school, I made a smart assed comment to a 90 lb woman, who then tried to kick me. I tried to run, slipped and fell and partially tore my right cruciate, and the meniscus in the right knee. Again, I wrapped my knees and wrapped them religiously.

As time went by I noticed i had more knee pain the days after I wrapped them. Hobbling along the streets of Manhattan when I was doing my residency with sore knees is not fun. It didn't make sense to me, until I realized I'd literally become too reliant on the wraps. I reevaluated what I was doing, started working TKE's and other "knee stabilizing" type exercises and dropped the wraps. Now, 4 years after that light went on, I am squatting more than I ever did without the wraps. I save them for max attempts the weeks immediately before a meet or in the meet--- I do think you need to put them on at least once right before a meet to get used to the pressure on your knees. I'll use a very light pair of wraps either an old, old pair of Inzer Z wraps lightly wrapped or a pair of I don't know the brand white ones if my knees are really, really hurting, but honestly, I havent' used those in a long long time.

My 2 cents: build the muscle around the knee and work on your flexibility for your knees, don't become reliant on the wraps. It'll end up causing problems in the long run.

KarlMarx
09-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Completely aside from the the knee wraps, I have found a good correlation between my quad flexibility and my knee pain. When I let my quads get tight and don't stretch them for a couple months the knee starts hurting...I have also torn my meniscus, and the doctor let me know that tight quads probably contributed...

Beverly McD.
09-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Gregg, you might want to talk to Mike about how he wraps a tight knee. They wrap them up like a cast around here on heavy weight just prior to a meet. Knee problems are a rarity around here, and we have several of the "old" guys.
He can explain it much better than I can, but I know he never pulls the wrap across the knee where it can pull the knee to the side and out of place.

He pulls it straight up from the bottom, taking all the stretch out of it, lays it across the knee. Then pulls it straight down, takes all the stretch out of it and then lays it under the knee.. The knee is basically locked into squatting position, never twisted.

Sean S
09-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm in my mid-30's and my training partner in his mid-40's. We never use knee wraps in training and we don't have any problems adjusting to them at meets. I would try some knee sleeves if your knees give you problems and try to save the tight wraps for meets or just before meets.

Brian Hopper
09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I hate having my knees wrapped super tight. I can't stand not being able to feel my feet or toes. A guy I train with who happens to be in his mid 40's and has some issues with his knees. It's pretty much bone-on-bone, and he has done 925 in just his briefs with no wraps. The only time I believe he wraps his knees is at a meet and I don't think he likes them super tight either.

Who makes TP5000's?

dammstrate
09-04-2009, 07:55 PM
thanks for the replies.

Thanks Bevery, I THINK I know what you are saying, but I will email Mike.

TP5000s are the white wraps you see some people wear. They stretch out
a LOT as you put them on, and are the most "cast like" you can get. But, they
wear out quickly. You can get them from Ernie Frantz.

http://www.frantzpowergear.com/

Brian Hopper
09-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh ok, I have seen those before just never knew who made them.

mastermonster
09-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Gregg, I wrap mine every workout from 600 up (occasionally lighter) and have never had a problem as long as I wrap my own. I wrap them as tight as I can wrap them myself. The only time I've had a problem was at Masters Nationals this year when I let someone talk me into letting him wrap my knees. He wrapped the **** out of them! The next day they were bruised and had some swelling and it took a couple of weeks to heal completely. I don't like them any tighter than I can wrap them myself. And as you know, I am old...53 now!